Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Shoog

If those 50 states had a 50% base of supporters then yes we can easily see how many might fall to insurrectionistals operating out of the local governors office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭threeball

Project 2025 sets the framework to remove any organised resistance to a potential dictator. The average American is used to baseball games and afternoons in the mall, not getting tooled up to take on the military. Big difference between going out shooting a target in a range or a defenseless deer and facing down a soldier with training. Only a fool would think that these average citizens would be able to face down a military. Rock up with your peashooter and they run you over with a Bradley, or cut you in two with a 50cal.

We already saw what a devastating impact the push for repeal of Roe vs Wade had on the Republican turn out at the mid terms. They managed to clutch defeat from the hand of victory on that one.

Women know their reproductive rights are under attack from republicans and they are making their feelings known at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

... but you just said only two men actually know what a woman is.

Transgender is a red herring though. Undecided are not going to vote on tge basis of genirals.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

The crunch comes for women if their daughters get pregnant to an unsuitable boy, or gets raped and becomes pregnant. At this time of crisis they don't want to be threatened with jail for doing what they consider a necessary evil to solve a greater problem. This will always be in the back of their minds even if they are devout Christians. We know this because the exact same catholic mothers were quite happy to ship their daughters off to England in a crisis.

Abortion is the issue which will drag the Republican down in this election, not transgenderism which will impact none of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

That article is seven years old from an election where Hilary Clinton was widely disliked. Have you anything from say 2020+, after the country had four years of Donny spouting garbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,653 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There's an irony in the focus of the ire of the Republican party and its supporters in that the most prominent trans person in the US over the last couple of years and probably even right now is Caitlyn Jenner, a staunch Republican.

Whether her support for Republicans who tell her every day how little they respect her or Devout Christians who think Trump is sent by God despite his lying, cheating and philandering tendencies, the GOP has been a mess of ideals pretty much most of the last probably 10 - 15 years or so.

Their dismissal of accusations against Trump and particularly the attempts to steal the election while constantly claiming that only the Constitution should direct policy and judgement is another example of how the biggest arguments against their ideals and philosophies are themselves. Very little of what they do any more holds any sort of order.

I don't expect this to change until Trump is finally buried in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭briany

From what I can see, a huge amount of pushback against abortion in the States is based on a religious view, or an ethical view derived from a religious doctrine. You see it across the religious right in that country.

And they're entitled to their view, but they've no entitlement to push it on other people is if it's an objective reality. I would guess that many of them would be critical of ideology of gender self-identification, but take fair umbrage when someone tells them Jesus isn't real and there's no science to support the existence of God, but if there's nothing to actually support either view, they're ironically two sides of the same coin.

In the land of the free, the happy medium seems like it would be that abortion can be available, but no-one should be forced to have one or not to have one.

And if the Republicans cannot afford to lose conservative Christians as a base, how about this - say, "Let the heathens have their abortions. Let the wicked go to hell. We, the righteous, will live forever in Heaven along with the spirits of those unborn children!"

I mean, if the god-botherers are willing to accept an oily crook like Trump as their vanguard, they'd probably fairly swallow that line, and America could somewhat move on.

The issue for Trump is that his vote share number is unlikely to go either up or down (baring a catastrophy which as you rightly say he is largely immune from).

The only issue for Harris is can she get more people to vote - the more people who vote the more her share goes up. So her challenge is to mobilize the largest possible number of desperate interest groups. She's off to a good start as she has captured the majority of the different ethnic minority groups (apart from possibly Hispanic). She just has to get more women and more youth to register and again she is off to a good start here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Armed Civilians against a militarised Police force. Not to mention the national guard and the army. Plus the entire judicial system.

He has already secured the GOP, so will likely have the house and/or senate. SCOTUS is already in his pocket. He has total immunity.

Vance will do whatever Trump needs.

I actually don't think that they are motivated by religion even though they declare as religious. They are motivated by an old fashioned identity politics of hetro white conformity. They have an image of the 50 and 60s as the American golden age where all of these issues were not up for debate. They are not religious as such - they are conservative.

She just has to get more women and more youth to register and again she is off to a good start here as well.

I'd expect there's several attempts being made by her camp to get Taylor Swift to endorse her. Beyonce already did in allowing her to use songs from her discography on the campaign and I think youth registration already took a positive jump upwards since Harris entered the race proper.

If she got Taylor to post online encouraging people to vote and to help elect the first woman President, it would be worth tens of millions in advertising. Taylor has shown herself before to not be immune of getting involved in politics so you'd imagine is she speaks, it will be in Harris' favour, but, maybe she has changed her approach recently given she has never said much about Gaza despite her fans calling for her to comment on it. She may stay quite here so as to not shine a light on her not saying anything there.

This post will probably rile a few Trump supporters to see reference to the influence Taylor could potentially have, but hey, if Kid Rock and Ted Nugent and the likes can be very vocal and active in their support of Trump, why shouldn't Harris supporters be allowed to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I think Taylor Swift will come out and support Harris in September. Still time for fresh registrations, and colleges will be back to serve as registration bases.

Whatever may or may not be the real underpinning of their behaviour, they will generally answer 'God…' when asked what gives them an authority to speak on moral matters and push their view. This is in spite of the fact that there is no real empirical argument for God's existence. It's really a subjective matter of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even without a clear endorsement, just by getting people in her fanbase to register and vote… they will likely favour Harris significantly more than Trump.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Strange…in the one post you have one link claiming 55% of the white female vote and the other link quoting a figure for the same year/election of 44%?

That's a good point about voter registration bases.

There's a video online of an actress hosting some awards show with lots of celebrities' around her. Trump is one of these people in the background of the shot. The host comments on how she didn't realize at that time how close she was to someone who would become one of the most powerful people in America. And the camera pans to Taylor Swift sitting nearby.

She definitely has the ability to massively influence the race, I've no doubt she knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

Since around 45% of white women will vote Democrat, the significantly higher percentage of ethnic women voting Democrat means that overall women are leaning strongly Democrat, and that is only likely to increase as time goes on.

I would also guess that the white Republican women vote has probably contracted since the repeal of Roe vs Wade.

The Vance pick will also drive off a lot of white women voters. It's not a good look for a bum fluff man to be telling them what they can do with their bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Redliketoast

like i said

It is like me saying the dems knew what they were doing when they likened him to hitler and kept saying that if he gets back into power, then democracy is over.

Do you think that people who used that inflammatory language wanted him to be killed?

Most people without bias would agree that its the language used against Trump which is far more dangerous than what Trump said that day

Do not assume that anyone wanted Trump killed because they fear a Trump Presidency.

People are sensible enough to know that would have produced the worst possible outcome with the highest probability of Republian supporter violence.

It's projection on your part to assume otherwise. And let's not forget it was a Republican who tried to assassinate Trump.

Post edited by Shoog at

This comment about likening Trump to Hitler - did it inspire anyone to go in and invade the US Capitol?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Most people without bias."

Way to frame a prejudicial argument.

Sure. Most people without bias would not conclude that, most people without bias would conclude that anybody who says that is demonstrating bias.

See what you can do when you can invent an argument on the spot like that?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“I hate the police. Given the number of negative experiences I’ve had in the past few years, I can’t imagine what a black guy goes through,” Vance wrote.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/jd-vances-ex-classmate-reveals-shocking-texts-from-trump-vp-pick-on-race-hating-cops-trump/

The problem for the boy is that he's a charisma-free zone and too wet behind the ears to really deal with the attacks coming his way. If Trump ever saw him as an heir to the MAGA movement, that opinion must be rapidly slipping. In retrospect, it was a weird pick and one Trump must now be regretting. If Trump were to pick someone who does nothing for him campaign in terms of shoring up the moderate vote, then he'd have been better off picking a complete lunatic who his base would love. Imagine if he'd presented Alex Jones (the American one) as his running mate, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Despite their disagreements, Senator Vance cares for Sofia and wishes Sofia the very best

Fecking Hell! I read that as Sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hopefully the Vance pick will also be a negative for Trump ,was one advantage of Joe still being the likely opponent when Trump made his pick he proberly thought his VP pick wouldn't really matter much because it looked likely he would beat Joe .He might be still be fav just about but it's definitely not a certainty now against KH .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nikki Hayley was the obvious pick.

I imagine she turned it down because she knows Trump in the future will end up calling for her to be murdered.

Advertisement