Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Cork prices were for a table of 10 which pretty much works out the same. €30 in the Intercontinental was for the after dinner entry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Discussion of ongoing legal matters via the media is against the law in Ireland and is against the rules of Boards.ie, please refrain from discussing matters until a verdict has been handed down. 1 ban has been issued and I don't want to have to do more considering the great week we are having.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thread title changed 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

How come Malone never played with Inagh-Kilnamona or Inagh before the amalgamation?

Still buzzing from Sunday win. Delighted for Brian Lohan and the lads. Tony Kelly similar to semi final stood up when it counted. The half back line were completely on top, Clare dominance didn't reflect on the scoreboard and allowed Cork to bring game to extra time. Was worried at end of normal time with all the lads cramping but fair play the lads dug it out.

Shane O'Donnell has taken his game to a different level under Lohan. Should definitely be player of the year. Aidan McCarthy also repaid Lohan faith with strong performances in semi final and final from play and frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Very good question. A lot of combo lads have played football with Ennistymon down through the years so would have been the natural place if he wanted to play senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Day 5 as All Ireland Champions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

You know where he was for the last few Munster finals….. Out on the pitch bursting his balls, as he's done for Clare for the last 10 odd years. Fair play to him, a pure warrior for Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if i remember correctly i thing davey was involved with the bridge when he moved , its something that happens a lot in both codes , i remember a few years back a mate of mine was over a west clare club and poached an ex intercounty footballer for his club by saying he was going out with a girl from the parrish , the player in question was from a leinster county but living in limerick

personally i think shane meehan should consider a town transfer , its not as if its never been done before between the two clubs , malone done the right thing and enhanced his career , colin lynch played for eire og before transferring to kilmaley back in the day

its not the last of it we will see

for some reason its nearly on par with 1995 , i dont know why , maybe its the loss's of 5 our of the last 7 munster finals or 3 out of the last 6 all ireland semi finals will do that i suppose

o'donnell heagerty and fitzgibbon for me were the 3 best players in the country this year , i would argue that darragh fitzgibbon had a better final then o donnell but the outcome of last sunday will probably decide it

mccarthy reminds me of cillian o connor of mayo , remember them jimmy sloyan videos of him calling out O'Connor's performances at times , i was the same all year towards mccarthy up to the munster final , the difference in my opinion is mccarthy was dropped for the 1/4 final against wexford which was a huge call , it worked and aidan was flawless in the semi final and excellent in the final

it might not have won mayo an all ireland but worked for us , mccarthy has became our best free taker since colin ryan this year , he kept the show on the road throughout the league and munster championship when we were missing so many key players

if your not confidant about your own what's the point , we were confidant because we had won the last 3 outings albeit by a puck of a ball each time

as for tradition , of course we respect corks tradition , but we have to play it down leading into an all ireland final , we dont want things like this feeding into the players domin

and finally , i think johnny murphy had a good game on sunday , because that's the way i want to see the game of hurling officiated win lose or draw , the game reminded me of the classic tipp v cork games in the early 90s last week

but he from a consistency point of view the robbie o flynn effort should have been called back , adam hogan got called for it in the first half when horgan skinned him , and aaron shanagher needlessly done the exact same thing in normal time , i know we are always looking for excuses as donal og would say right!! 😂 , but i dont remember us getting a break like this in my time in such a big game

the €30 gig was to get you into the hotel but i think it was only the after party , the function itself was small enough with just a couple of hundred , and that was mainly ex players and families of the players and backroom staff , everyone from the sunday game dinner went to the after party after though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I am confident. Most people would lose a prediction and would run away, I'm happy to come back and post my colours to the mast. What I said, is based on the system and players they employ coming through

The style and talent Cork are producing at the minute, it's only a matter of time before it tells, the others a long way behind really. As I said, we're at the apex, where Cork have now risen to that level, but will start to go beyond, whereas the others drop off.

Going forward the gap widens. The others simply don't have the player production of Cork. As I said it's coming, it's only a matter of time.

When Cork click, they blitz everyone. We're getting close to the point, they'll be doing that for 70 minutes. People ridicule me now, but what's coming on the horizon for every other hurling county going forward is bleak.

Cork right now are simply so far ahead in their system and the talent they're bringing through. This result postpones the inevitable for one more year, the gap will widen.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭17togo

Right let's say you're not mad....

What is so unique about corks system at the moment? What's you're knowledge of it?

And what's you're knowledge of Limerick, kilkenny, Tipperary, galway, Dublin, Wexford, Waterford or clares setup that says they're gonna be blitzed by cork in the coming years?

Genuinely curious.

in fairness , he called himself out so fair play , a hard thing to do when you lose

cork have been excellent over the last 4 years under age , its easy be confidant about the future , but as you pointed out it counts for nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

what I cant understand is why are ye lads even responding to that delusional wum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

There is a good point being made that Cork have made the structures better.. but they are also hamstrung by P U Choimh debt. They had to charge for the homecoming.. that says a lot. I saw last week that although Clare's underage development fell apart a few years ago, Lohan has picked up players here and there from these teams, even with those teams having success. Cork has 560K population Clare is about 140k ish, but you can only play 15 at a time.. No doubt Cork will come good, but it will be against other counties that have also improved their development.

Waterford remains the hurling county that seems to lack direction and yet they had a decent team this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

I’d say Covid and them years also might be another reason why there is such an outpouring of emotion. We basically were confined and people couldn’t go to games for 2 years, thus I suppose in a way has made more people go to games.

Aidan’s performance on Sunday was his best of the year. He probably was involved more in general play and laid off the ball for a few scores and was fouled as well for a free.

He probably shouldn’t have been taken off in normal time, but really made a bit impact in extra time. I was obviously delighted for him especially with his performance on Sunday.

Ollie Baker has been saying that both Kelly and Aidan can’t play together for the last two years but I thought on Sunday especially in extra time that they two of them linked up well.

cork were miles ahead of us in every way from player development to s/c to underage sucess for the history of the assosation up until the mid to late 90s ,

even in years past trying to keep good hurlers or footballers from emigrating was a job here . but every county has caught up with them now , in my opinion cork have everything needed to win an all ireland but they wont do what limerick have just done they dont have that level of talent coming through , the hurling landscape has hugely changed in the last 20 years so wining on all ireland every decade is now a hard thing to do for any county

i didnt realise baker was saying that , i would disagree wholeheartedly against it , my issue with mccarthy was the lack of 50/50s he was wining in open play , but to be fair to him that massively improved from the semi final onwards , talking to lots of clare supporters the evening of the munster final we were down on his performance that day but we all agreed that he was the reason we probably won the league and got to the munster final , but dropping him for the wexford got the best out of him after that ,

he was ice cool in the semi final on frees and that's what we need , he's probably our best free taker now since colin ryan

yeah there were 40k in the fairgreen last monday evening , it meant a lot and covid didn't help , but where we were as a county during covid , and where we are now is probably the main reason of the euphoria

Robin Mounsey came in injury time around 72nd minute, would only got 2-3 minutes, didn't feature in extra time, but of a strange one? Shane Meehan came on in ET and had featured in normal time.

Would have left Mounsey on for extra time and brought off Shanagher for the start of extra time. Mounsey is a much better hurler than Shanagher in my opinion m.

Yeah Baker has been saying it on the Smaller fish podcast with Colm Parkinson, which he has been a pundit on for the last few years.

Actually met Aidan’s father before the game and he said he was as cool as a breeze the morning of the game. He said that the rest of the family were getting up early to hit for Dublin to go to the match on Sunday, Aidan was still sound asleep in the bed and that he had to be woke up 3 times to be told to get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

No. Shanagher may have made a few mistakes but he was in the thick of the action and Cork had to dedicate Downey to marking him. He has had better days out but when you see a forward getting to the ball then he's doing a job. Mounsey is physically not as strong and definitely not in the air. The free out against Shanaher would have gotten Conor Cleary a booking for fouling the full forward if the roles were reveresed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are the rumours going around Clare too about Davy Fitz and Antony Nash going for Antrim?

Can't see it myself.

• Advertisement

anything you read under a headline from the likes of the benchwarmers , or the clare times or Gaelic craic on facebook or twitter is to be taken with large caution of bulshit attached normally

the irish news are the only publication to actually report on this , and all they have said is that he met with the county board up there , what has people in antrim slightly worried is that here is a man that just left the waterford job sighting family reasons , a young son and the strains of the long drive down to waterford , well antrim is nearly a 5 hour drive 1 way which is almost double the distance he has been traveling

i cant see it myself personally either

Advertisement