Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy infrastructure

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You were saying that the bay is 3km deep, which of course is true, I’m pointing out that the continental shelf which extends 150km of the French coast is only between 100m to 250m deep.

You can clearly see it in the light blue section in the above picture you posted. This is the area where you would run an interconnector from Ireland/UK to Spain, along this 100m to 250m deep section, to the immediate West of France.

I readily admit that the capbreton canyon is a challenge. However the original UK plan was to basically connect with the France - Spain interconnector that is being built that you show above. I suppose strictly speaking it was connecting to the edge of France, but the goal was to tap into the Spanish grid.

Brexit pretty much killed this plan, but now Ireland might take the UK’s spot in this plan. The EU may give a great deal of support to it, they want to better connect the island grids of Ireland and the Iberian peninsula to the rest of the EU. They see it as of strategic importance.

So it is challenging, but far from impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I've explained this already. The state rarely build power plants anymore. It's all private or semi private.

You all need to get this idea out of your heads that Minister is gonna come along with a blank cheque for someone to build energy infra.

There's been nearly 50 wind farms completed in the last 10 years. Nordex and Siemens are the main manufacturers

True, we pay someone else to capture it though, plus it's not as clean as wind or solar.

We will need Gas and Oil but only as a backup to wind and solar.

it wouldn't matter how it was generated, you'd still be paying the same price. Remember, before any energy generation infra is built, investors have all the electricity is will make sold at a set price before a shovel is even put in the ground, thats just how it works.

It's not 100% reliable I agree and as I've already mentioned, until we have a mechanism to store excess energy we will need Fossil fuels as a backup. The energy costs now have NOTHING to do with a plant that was constructed X years ago. Energy resellers are just ripping people off because they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There's been nearly 50 wind farms completed in the last 10 years. Nordex and Siemens are the main manufacturers

Exactly, and neither of those are Irish companies nor do they do much manufacturing in Ireland. It's primarily done on the continent, in Mexico, Brazil, Asia etc. The idea that Ireland is or will be a leader in wind tech when the majority is imported just shows how stupid the statement was.

You've the wrong end of the stick.
    Ireland (Dublin) is of of the biggest IT Hubs in Europe, we don't manufacture computers here, yeah Intel have a plant here but that's it. It's all run here though. Lots of the DC's, lots of the jobs etc.

Same applies to Wind Power. We don't manufacture the equipment, but we do and will run a massive amount of it.

Just to be absolutely clear, the idea of being completely insular and isolated (IE we only use the stuff we manufacture ourselves) is what kept Ireland as the sick child (economically speaking) in Europe post WW2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Firstly, IT and semiconductors (Intel) are two totally distinct industries.

Ireland does have a decent semiconductor industry where large amounts of R&D are concentrated here. Even though most chips are made in Taiwan and Korea, Irish arms of MNCs still design large amounts.

The same cannot be said for wind turbines - we do not design, we do not manufacture, all we do domestically is plan projects and tender to European giants like Siemens etc who supply and in some cases install, or else install through partner companies.

The amount of actual value added by Irish employees, Irish arms of MNCs or Irish domestic companies is quite low. It certainly isn't value that can be exported.

The claim that Ireland would be a leader in wind tech is nonsense. There is nothing to back up this claim. We don't design or manufacture the tech. How could we be leaders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That's not true at all, some Irish companies are at the absolute cutting edge of the design work, they're just not designing the individual turbines.

Actually a big problem we're having right now isn't in the lack of opportunity, but in lack of enough engineers to capitalise on the opportunity.

I'd argue on top of that, that Nordex and Siemens probably don't make most of the components.

The certainly don't manufacture the Neodymium magnets, which are the most important part.

They just order parts from Companies X Y and Z and put them together, even the designs are more than likely done by outside contractors.

Being a leader in a field means leveraging the what that field offers more so than anyone else.

The work and knowledge on building turbines will increase rapidly here as time goes on, all going to plan. Ireland is basically sitting on a gold mine when it comes to wind energy, only matched by the Mid-West in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its just a shame that the ESB and the government sat on their hands for so long. We could be in a similar position to Portugal if they hadn't dragged their feet for so long. We can thank the Greens for putting a Bunsen under their bums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not sure if it's already been posted but Irish Energy Bot estimates renewables during Q1+Q2 accounted for 41% of electricity generation. This would be an improvement on recent years I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭SeanW

Unfortunately it's not exactly been an unqualified success. In 1990, Germany met 31% of its electricity needs through non-fossil sources. By 2022, that had risen to 50%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_Germany#/media/File:Energiemix_Deutschland.svg

Why on Earth would Ireland want to build an energy interconnector to Spain? The distance to France is shorter, their energy is cleaner and they can generate non-fossil electricity just as well on calm winter nights as on sunny/windy summer days.

There's an old saying: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" and it very much applies here. If you're going to claim that your policy will lead to cheap electricity, you need to prove that this is what people will be paying in the real world in their energy bills.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why on Earth would Ireland want to build an energy interconnector to
    Spain? The distance to France is shorter, their energy is cleaner and
    they can generate non-fossil electricity just as well on calm winter
    nights as on sunny/windy summer days.

We are already building an interconnector to France, the Celtic Interconnector.

You want to connect to different countries to add diversity and redundancy to your supply.

Look at the UK, they have 6 interconnectors to 5 different countries. Including very long ones to Norway and Denmark. Why do they could just build 6 interconnectors between Dover and Calais if short distance was the only concern?

BTW In addition to the current new France and UK interconnectors currently being built, we are considering future ones to Belgium and Netherlands, all to add diversity. Those are likely to come ahead of a Spanish one.

Renewables only make sense with massive and diverse interconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Renewables only make sense with massive and diverse interconnects... Plus a well functioning market and very deep pockets to pay for all the additional grid infrastructure, reserves and subsidies.

Would you like to guess how much it cost to build the electric grid in the first place, it wasn't cheap.

Every major system shift costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It was built out slowly over the last 144 years at a fraction of the costs of similar infrastructure today. Up until 1980, farmers and communities opened their arms and welcomed the ESB as it usually meant rural jobs during construction and the advent of electrification and prosperity. Very little new transmission infrastructure has been added since then and distribution infrastructure has just about kept up with connecting new builds. Nowadays, everyone has access to electricity so no one wants new circuits near their property so Eirgrid and Esb spend a fortune on community gain funds and legal fees with hardly any new infrastructure added.

I'd wager that more has been spent on grid development since 1980 than before it, yet over 90% of it was built before that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭gjim

The entire 400kV East-West transmission system was built in the late 1980s to support Moneypoint along with major 220kV extensions. Most of the transmission system is young.

Moneypoint at full tilt is nearly 1GW. 80 years ago the biggest generator in the country was Ardnacrusha which - at 85MW - provided 80% of the needs of the entire country. The idea that we're still using transmission infrastructure from 144 years ago is laughable.

Maybe you're confusing electricity transmission with distribution.

Renewables make economic sense even without massive and diverse interconnects. In places like Texas and Australia (with deep cultural and political support for fossil fuels but with very poorly connected grids), the only new capacity installed over the last few years has been wind, solar or batteries.

Investment decisions are driven by what makes financial sense despite the common misconception that politicians can defy economic gravity. Spanning the political spectrum, neither Eamon Ryan nor Greg Abbot - despite what people think - have all that much influence on the revolution which is transforming the global electricity sector.

Everything has to be index linked to get a fair comparison. I know for a fact that Ardnacrusha took half of the total national budget for a few years - and that didn't even account for the early grid costs which would have been a massive ongoing cost.

To get to a 100% renewables grid network you need to be able to exchange surpluses with the widest possible area - hence the investment in HVDC across the whole of Europe.

I agree but that's a completely different assertion to the claim that I was responding to: "Renewables only make sense with massive and diverse interconnects".

• Advertisement

If the objective is a carbon neutral grid then the statement is entirely true.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"The perfect is the enemy of the good"

We need to keep picking the low hanging fruit now.

We have until 2050 to fully decarbonise so technically we could have energy to fuel and other forms of long term storage working economically by then, but probably still cheaper to just have more interlinks.

Large scale cheap sodium batteries are going to be a game changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Depending on just how cheap they are really are per cycle -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Apogee

CSO figures on ever-increasing growth in electricity consumption by data centres to 2023

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-dcmec/datacentresmeteredelectricityconsumption2023/keyfindings/

Boulder clearance and trenching begin for Celtic Interconnector

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/preparatory-ops-for-offshore-installation-of-french-irish-interconnector-about-to-begin/

SSE get planning approval for 21MW solar farm co-located with existing windfarm in Wexford - they again highlight some of the bureaucratic obstacles to shared/hybrid grid connections. Also mentioned previously on this 'Ear to the Ground' report.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0717/1460302-approval-for-sses-first-solar-project-in-ireland/

[edit] There have been a few queries here in the past about domestic solar production - IrishEnergyBot have tried to infer this by looking at the 'dips' in daily consumption

Post edited by Apogee on

Is Greenlink still on schedule?

Interesting that in the Cso report, they mention that peak energy consumption for very large consumers , is in the middle of the day , between 1 and 3 pm , which would tend to work well with summer solar -

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0723/1461350-electricity-consumption-by-data-centres-up-20-last-year/

should large industry be obligated to put solar on roof tops and car parks ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yeah, there's a case that all large industrial consumers (not just data centres) should in some way invest in new generation capacity. I believe many of the big tech companies (Amazon I seem to recall?) also invest in renewable projects when they start building data-centres to keep their ESG scores respectable.

But roof-top solar would be worst way to do it becuase it's so expensive. Let them put the panels flat on the ground on some disused land somewhere when the lifetime cost-per-kWh would be about a third - according to Lazard's LCOE surveys. Or have them install 3 times as much capacity by laying the panels on the ground somewhere instead of putting them on a roof.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/291905/4ecb292f-990f-4317-8f67-ca9bc2f9b8f8.pdf#page=null

this mentions longer term 100-hour iron-air batteries. I'd imagine they are like aluminium-air they'd be primary cells that you "recharge" by remanufacturing but they'd be cheap even at large scale.

• Advertisement

If those are the economics of rooftop solar, why are so many domestic homeowners installing them. Wouldn't they get a better return by investing their money in a solar electricity company?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Residential customers calculate their payback time using retail cost of electricity, while commercial electricity companies use wholesale rates. big difference.

If you had a bit of spare land, you'd be far better off just putting them on cheap steel frames. Nevertheless expensive solar is still relatively cheap and many don't have that option. Panels falling in price by 95% over the last decade and a half mean the installation costs now swamp the cost of the components. Same economics forces is why people rarely use their rooftops to grow vegetables.

Do commercial users pay more at peak times?

My local lidl have covered their flat roof in solar panels , i assume roof aspect , slope and construction type counts for a lot ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have no idea how commercial entities are billed.

I know when I had a commercial bill, I had a maximum demand charge and a per unit charge. Lidl probably use the solar to reduce the consumption - they have a lot of lights and fridges, and operate largely in sunlight hours.

It also seems as though supermarkets have their own emergency generators so solar would slide in nicely to this setup.

Which is why is why i was suggesting large commercial users should probably have roof panels, no transmission losses obviously , and peak consumption for large commercial is afternoon - 12 or 1 til l3 , which coincides with peak solar production ,

I assume part of that is the cooling load for data centres ,large buildings ect , the panels would help shade the roof from the suns heat ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Data centres now account for 21% of electricity use in this country, more than all urban homes put together. Nobody seems to care much that despite all our efforts to become energy efficient in our daily lives we completely ignore the massive energy costs of Internet-hosted services. The most horrific example of Bitcoin: the computation needed to complete one Bitcoin transaction uses around 700 kWh of electricity, about a fifth of the average Irish home's usage in a year.

Leaving cryptocurrencies aside, a lot of the regular, everyday applications that run in these DCs are appallingly energy inefficient (I am very familiar with the technologies used here, having written some in the past) as it is, and the prospect of massive AI model training is going to make those seem like small beer...

The only consolation is that while AI model trainers might consume horrific amounts of energy, they are are offline tasks, and could very easily be scaled up and throttled back to match availability of renewable energy in the grid.

Post edited by KrisW1001 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

That's mental. I thought it was 4 kWh LOL

I don't see it as a massive problem. Or at least I don't see a need for any hysteria.

Given that most of the capacity being added is renewable, an overall expansion of consumption and production of electricity will result in smaller and smaller share for fossil.

Datacentres are just doing the work that would otherwise be distributed across consumer devices except there's efficiency in doing the work at this sort of scale. If we don't want to curtail access to the benefits of modern technology, then it's best the heavy lifting is done in data-centres rather than on everyones' phone/laptop or whatever.

Every job "offloaded" to a datacentre incurs a pretty heavy overhead. It makes sense to do this only when the DC alone has the means needed to perform the operation (e.g. web search and other heavy computation with large datasets), but I've seen local client applications offload trivial calculations to "the backend" for the sole reason that it's less hassle than doing it locally.

As an industry, Web-based services have as much interest in energy efficiency as the US car industry did in the 1960s when petrol was ten cents a gallon…

Loading ourselves with data centres makes our chance of hitting our carbon reduction targets ever more difficult. We should only be building data centres to soak up excess capacity - not running to keep up with an ever expanding demand. There are already places such as Norway which can meet this criteria.

It's a crazy policy.

Come on, very little energy required to send data - compute at both ends dominates the energy consumption.

Moving servers and services out of DCs and into on-prem racks is not going to reduce the aggregate consumed energy - it will increase it as well as hugely increase the amount of electronic waste. Just because it's easier to measure DC energy consumption and difficult to measure aggregate "local" compute energy consumption doesn't mean you can discount the latter.

Whether modern software is bloated and inefficient is a separate issue and affects all software regardless of the topology/architecture.

Yes, youtube is wasteful of energy, as is computer gaming, running TV stations, hosting big sports events, eating out in restaurants, travelling anywhere, etc. But which of these "wasteful activities" are justified and which are not, again is not an argument that has anything to do whether we'd be better off in term so aggregate energy consumption if we moved more to on-prem from DC .

At the end of the day, warming is a global issue. There's no harm in using local or country based metrics for setting goals/targets and tracking progress but the most important thing for me is the global/aggregate metric. If 100 arbitrary countries blow through their targets while at the global level we manage to cut emissions sufficiently to avoid climate disaster, then I'm fine with it. Of course to do this, individual countries should set goals and track their progress.

• Advertisement

"Very little energy". Do you know how much, or are you assuming that it's not much because "everyone does it"?

Do you imagine that a datacentre CPU is more energy efficient than the one in your mobile phone? And that's before considering the transmission costs inside and outside the DC.

YouTube isn't actaully that big an energy user per client: it pulls data from a filestore and copies it into a transmission buffer: there's very little computation needed, and this can be (and is) done in hardware to save even more energy. The big hogs are the medium-usage services behind your mobile apps that aren't big enough that optimisation would be commercially beneficial, but are still big enough that their inefficiency is significant.

However, the energy efficiency of software, while of nterest to me, is off topic in this thread, so I'll leave my comments at this, except to say that because DCs are such a big part of our energy consumption, the inefficiency of that software does have an impact on our environmental targets, and it's one over which we have little control.

Do you know how much, or are you assuming that it's not much because "everyone does it"?

I don't get the "everyone does it" bit? I know that the energy cost to move data over fibre is a fraction of that to move it over wired ethernet which in turn it a tiny fraction of the energy cost to move the data around a computer bus which in turn is a fraction of the energy cost to move the data through a CPU. Transmission costs are effectively nothing - 99%+ of the energy consumed by DC is consumed on the motherboard either directly or in trying to remove the heat from it.

I don't even have to do the calculations - just touch an ethernet cable. Is it even warm even when carrying data at max capacity? No. Now try touching a busy CPU (actually don't or wear gloves) - it's hot, RAM is warm as are motherboards. The energy consumed becomes heat.

Do you imagine that a datacentre CPU is more energy efficient than the one in your mobile phone?

Of course it is! Energy is possibly the biggest ongoing cost for running a DC, if operators could achieve the same computation using mobile phones, DC's would be filled with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't know how much energy is required to send a packet but it's not what's flowing through the cables which use the most energy. It's the routers switches gateways and firewalls which consume a tonne. Touch them and you'll find that they are very much hot and are critical in sending data. Also the surface area of a cpu is much lower than that of a cable so even if both had the same power running through them the temperature would not be the same.

That said I have no problem with data centers. They pay for the power they use so are paying for the expansion of the network. As long as they don't cause Brown outs or black outs of course.

These numbers from 2022 compare the %share that data centres consume across EU countries - Ireland a clear outlier

Source: https://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/handle/JRC135926

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tarant

"They pay for the power they use so are paying for the expansion of the network. As long as they don't cause Brown outs or black outs of course."

It just means competition for those electrons and higher prices. But then we should discuss how we could use that extra money and direct it towards green energy investment. A bigger market should also get bigger players involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement