Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭rrs

That's a right blow for Killygarry. Ballinagh would still have some good players and Eamon McEvoy is back this year, but a game Killygarry should have been winning. They lack something when the pressure comes on. Didn't see out the drawn game last year against Gowna when they were coasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭celt262

It's set out from start of year they knew the story but it really needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Nobody said they didn’t know the story but are you saying it’s not utterly ridiculous that a team cannot lose a game in a comp and then fail to get the benefit of that because a team who finished ten points off them beats them in a play off?

The structure being set out doesn’t stop it being wrong and the county board should have corrected it by now as the holes in it were illustrated other years.

Lacken lost all their games in Division 1, and conceded the final game. They will still have a play off to stay up.

Is it to make money or what's the point of those play offs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

The whole thing was teams couldn't be promoted or relegated without county players.

Ah yeah that's right. With the Split season the League doesn't need to start as early in Cavan. They rush it off and a long break then until the championship.

I know that but it’s actually hit Killygarry who have several county players whilst I don’t think Ballinagh have any.

There’s still room for top and bottom to go up/down and a play off for the second relegation/promotion spot.

Look you're going go have that issue sometimes but you can't move goalposts all the time when something like that happens. Teams will finish bottom with no county players, do you change then? Killygarry went down last year cause of the county player issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

By Lacken conceding it added a lot of nonsense to Div 1 relegation, with playoffs for the playoff, as scoring difference cant be used. Happened in other divisions, affecting relegation and promotion. In my opinion, top should go up and bottom go down, and then playoffs to decide the second team promoted and relegated. There should be stricter penalties for concessions at first team level……should be different re reserve teams, as teams are struggling for numbers. Fairly suspicious that Lacken couldnt field a senior team on a Friday and then fielded a reserve team on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Re Playoffs, its spun as county players, but of course its revenue generation

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

More private jets and champagne for county board members off the back of these playoff windfalls.

Why are Division One finals continually being played in Crosskeys? There’s one final at 5 on Saturday and one at 7.

Could they not have had a double header in Breffni?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Id say there resting Breffni for amount of games its expected to have come championship time.

Post edited by Bummer1234 on

Those early rounds in Breffni are a poor spectacle, with a few hundred in a big ground. At least with the club grounds there is a atmosphere

Unlikely it has been resting now for weeks.

It's the 2 lads in the County board getting games into their club pitch.

Yes plenty of Club Lotto sales and shop sales at €2 for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I think the fact that they thew the game against Glenties away at the death by trying to time waste will be a good driver for them. They're good enough and mostly younng.

It's hard not to be cynical when Crosskeys seems to be the venue of choice for big games continually. You could make a case for it being halfway for some finals, like the Gaels against the Lough (amazing game too). I love games being out of Breffni for a better atmosphere but surely spomewhere like Ballinagh would be a better choice for a neutral venue? Not keen on the fencing all the way around the pitch in Crosskeys either.

I always find it hilarous when this trope is still rolled out, like there is some shadowy cabal plotting for games to line their pockets. Do people honestly think that there will be hundreds (thousands!!) attending Knockbride versus Castlerahan for their third fixture in a month?

I've not been down home as much this year but the few league games I was at the attendances were very poor. Maybe it's the weather (it does have a massive impact) or maybe it was bad luck for the games I chose (or I have that general effect on crowds!)

In terms of play offs for promotion and relegation, it is a mess, but that is the structure that everyone has signed up to. For it to change, people need to get actively involved in their clubs and bring an alternate model to the table.

Harsh on Kilygarry for sure, but when the dust settles they blew a five point lead and that's not down to the county board.

• Advertisement

They get big crowds at the league games in Tyrone because league position has a part in the championship for the following year. The league starts later in Tyrone, started this year at the end of May so the majority of games are played with County players

Lacken staying up. No comment but imagine be changes next year.

Not to mention Castlerahan beat Knockbride in the trilogy so the two teams played in a play off to reach a relegation play off!

As somebody said above ,if nothing else, serious implications need to be implemented for teams conceding games.

Fair play to Lacken, much like they have done in Senior for years, they manage to pull out all the stops in the one game they need to.

Ballyhaise were 8 points up in the second half and couldn't close out against a team that had lost every single game they played this year. I'm not a Lacken man, but credit to them for not throwing in the towel in this game even though they're struggling for numbers.

Ballyhaise would need to ask some serious questions and I don't think league structure is the one I would be looking at immediately. much like Killygarry last week

The League structure is only a cod as Dunphy once said about Ronaldo. But you wouldn't depend on Killygarry or Ballyhaise when the pressure is on

It is possible for both things to be true! The structure is a cod, but both teams went into games knowing what was required and both had substantial leads in the second half (6 points for Killygarry and 8 for Ballyhaise) so at the end of the day, the league structure isn't the main issue for those teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Deserved league title for the virginny men tonight. Playing some very good attacking football. I may be biased but they are the team to beat looking forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That's a big result for Ramor... How long are they in Div 1... Seems like a lifetime

No, Gowna are the clear team to beat. The League title means sweet fook all when compared to the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 breffnitightlips

would 3 up 3 down not make more sense? Top 2 go up/down, 3 &4 at the top and bottom play off to go up/down. 1&2 play the final for the trophy?

Advertisement