Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭combat14

israel intelligence places blame on hezbollah- they categorically deny it - bibi on way back asap from US - we saw what happened with yemen drone strike on tel aviv - this is just the excuse israel needed if they wish to launch operations in lebanon

israel foreign minister " we are approaching moment of all out war"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This everlasting conflict is a danger to the entire world; yet Israel and its Western backers seem to have no intention of seeking a negotiated settlement. Utterly tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Iran-Israel war incoming

An interesting bit of context on the Golan Heights from BBC.

Majdal Shams is one of four villages in the Golan Heights, where about 25,000 Druze people live.

They were offered Israeli citizenship when the Golan Heights was annexed from Syria in 1981, but only a minority accepted.

Most have retained an allegiance to Syria. Druze on the Golan can still study and work in Israel, though only those with citizenship can vote and are required to serve in the army.

The vast majority of the international community does not recognise Israel's annexation of the area.

• Advertisement

Are there still Irish soldiers in Golan heights?

I don't think so? It would have happened, if it were to happen, in that military exchange a few months back.

But I can see Israel launching more strikes into Southern Lebanon (hopefully not to the same extent as the war of 1996).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 SonicSuper

As we have seen Iran definitely have the tech to hit targets in Israel in an all out war so it's about to get very hairy indeed.

sounds now like israel will respond now but dont plan full scale war

Hezbollah claim it's nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Al Mayadeen live tweeted Lebanon Islamic resistance claimed they carried out the attack

The attack on the school by Israel is sickening. Complete and utter filthbags.

israel now claiming rocket attack in golan was iranian made rocket only hezbollah had

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Its ok, Hezbollah have claimed there was an idf control centre under the football pitch*

*Note, there's no truth to that, but it seems to work for the IDF every week

dont think it will work for hezbollah this time israeli cabinet meeting 4pm tomorrow to discuss their response

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hezbollah denying it indicates they are keen to avoid an all out war. If Beriut is struck in retaliation it's hard to see how all out war does not happen- unless perhaps a ceasefire is agreed in the next few days in Gaza that gives Hezbollah out. The Americans will likely be re doubling their efforts to achieve one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭REDBULL68

Very handy that the Israeli president was in the USA when this happened,?what was the talk ? and now he suddenly has to go back to chair a special meeting, we all know what that means, as I posted long ago, this was not about Gaza ,this was about Iran ,watch this space...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Israel going to war Iran because Iran didn't attack?

Wouldn't the logical target be Hezbollah? You know the ones who attacked Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think both Israel and Hezbollah don't want an all out war. Both sides would be devastated.

Israel or to be correct, Netanyahu, doesn't seem to want any kind of ceasefire. It's his best opportunity to destroy Gaza. He can't back down now. I suspect, like the Iranian attack, Israel will drop a few bombs on Hezbollah and call it a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭REDBULL68

They are the major military elements in Lebanon, financed by Iran?9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We should give Iran our full unconditional support to solve the Israeli problem!

Hezbollah doubling down this morning and saying the attack had nothing to do with them. It makes zero sense for them to attack a soccer field full of kids that's not their modus operandi, Israel on the other hand…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

"Saturday’s massacre constitutes the crossing of all red lines by Hezbollah. This is not an army fighting another army, rather it is a terrorist organisation deliberately shooting at civilians,” from an Israeli Miniater.

While not defending the attack whatsoever, The irony is completely lost on them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If it wasn't them then who was it? Sounds like something Hamas would do but is it too far away from the Gaza strip?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did you ever notice how every time there's a big international announcement or event regarding Israel they seem to miraculously find a few hostages or bodies a few hours later? I hope that a few years from now someone actually investigates just how much info the IDF has regarding where the hostages are and when they are rescued.

Regardless, I read that Hezbollah did claim they fired rockets at a target only 3kms away from where the people were killed, it's almost a certainty they are responsible for firing the rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭engineerws

If Israel says then it must be true. Oh no wait, I think they've lied about almost everything.

The below absolutely sickens me. An attack by Hezbollah (no source given is headline) and a far worse attack on a school in Gaza is a sub headline and only claimed by Gaza officials.

Gaza officials have consistently told the truth while at least in my eyes Israel has zero credibility and will lie about anything to get more weapons and money from the USA.

Why the f is RTE reporting in such a manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Some of the responses here are sick. Just about every Western country (US, EU, UK, etc) recognises Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation. Of course they blew up these kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What are you on about? Just looking to be angry about something?

Afair most recent bombing of Gaza was top of their news page yesterday until that rocket attack on Israel. There is a lot of bad things happening in the world right now unfortunately.

tbh I find the laser focus on the ME a bit excessive at times.

You have to dig deeper into RTÉ website now (no top level Ukraine tab etc.) to get their reporting on the giant war going on at the border of the EU, which has far more effect on us here.

edit: other issue is difficulty for journalists of confirming what is going on in Gaza, which has to be reflected in reporting.

It is under constant attack from Israeli airforce and ground troops, very dangerous, very difficult to even get into or out of for any journalist not embedded with IDF or something. By accounts any governing authoritity has mostly broken down for good now. Afair Israel also regularly cuts off communications (internet, phone etc.) with the outside world.

• Advertisement

Who gains from this in the wider picture. Who want's an excuse to do to Lebanon what they've done to Gaza?

Advertisement