Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Would they not just turn down Prices Lane, rather than Bedford Row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That sounds like shtetalk. I highly doubt any cafe worker is aware of how most people get there.

Do you know what percentage of shoppers drive into the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Relax itll all be grand! everyone always over reacts to anything new and it turns out fine just like the plastic bag tax, the smoking ban and the return scheme. Just go with the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I raised this Fleet Street scenario, based on that woman who was on the Claire Byrne show yesterday. According to her, traffic coming up Burgh Quay but wanting to head towards Heuston must turn into D’olier, onto Westmorland left onto Fleet & turn right back to the quays.
    I’m not from Dublin so didn’t know if trucks can traverse the Fleet St section.
    The vehicles can of course turn right up O’Connell St. but the North Quays traffic will also be turning up past the GPO.

• Advertisement

Trucks can turn right onto Prices Lane or Bedford Row, from Westmoreland St/Fleet St.

It does look like more cars/trucks will take this route. Which would be a shame as thats the main pedestrian entrance into Temple Bar and always busy with tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭Daith

Or what will likely happen is that anyone doing that route will go around near Stephens Green and back out around Christchurch.

Not everyone who drove down the quays is going to take the same alternative routes to wherever they're going.

And there'll still be far more people using public transport to get to around Heuston and it should be a lot quicker for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why are they on Burgh quay in the first place? No one is starting their journey there. The entire point is that they don't want people using the quays for these journeys.

There will be traffic coming from Amiens Street ( yes I know it’s the cross city traffic they are trying to stop ), but also the traffic coming from Pearse Street & Tara Street.
    In any case we only have to wait a month to see what pans out.

Again though, basically none of these are traffic originators. They don't want people coming down Amiens St and using the Quays to get to Heuston - better to use the North Circular. Similarly with Pearse St, don't go down it in the first place, go towards Heuston around Stephen's Green

Or don't drive to Heuston at all and use the Luas.

• Advertisement

Going from Pearse St around Stephens Green would just add to traffic congestion there, no?

Impacting the Luas and Bus routes.

It seems any alternative has a possible impact on public transport, which is exactly what the quay bans are trying to alleviate.
    Only one remedy - underground. But we all know how long the NCH is taking and how far over budget it is, so as I’m in my 60’s it’s traffic headaches for me:)

There's other changes too. You have to look at bus corridors and College Green going traffic free in the future.

Other than banning car traffic completely, then that's what we have to work with.

You said the magic word.

Its depressing we dont have a realistic plan towards delivering an integrated underground network (not one line, a network).

Dublin is is in the top 30 or 40 metro population centres in Europe & amongst the fastest growing in population.

Still no plan to cope with a metro population approaching 2.5 million by the end of the decade.

If you want to be going to Heuston now you shouldn't be going near Pearse St in the first place. That's the point.

How will it impact the Luas to go around SSG and Patrick's?

It youre coming from Ringsend/Irishtown Sandymount, you may well choose Pearse St. Google Maps agrees.

Creating extra traffic that crosses the line by Stephens Green wll slow the luas (how many cars in Dublin do you see jump red lights? I see alot) and also the buses, through road congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭nachouser

18 pages and I'd guess most posters don't drive through on a daily basis or live anywhere near the city centre. It's remarkable. But, But, Buses.

You're not creating any extra traffic. The same traffic exists. Do you not think it impacts the Luas and Buses at Westmoreland St and O'Connell Bridge already? Or on Pearse St itself?

You're also assuming that all the traffic will follow the same routes instead of dispersing.

You're right. I get the bus and luas on a daily basis and it's car traffic that slows them both down. The less of it the better.

• Advertisement

If you are coming from Ringsend, Irishtown or Sandymount they don't want you to choose Pearse St and the Quays. That is the entire point. Some of the car trips will simply evaporate and others will go via alternative routes that aren't so necessary for the bus service to work - and don't involve driving through the middle of town that shouldn't be used for transverse journeys.

Why are so many people driving to Heuston in this hypothetical anyway!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It would only take around 5 minutes longer to go via Ballsbridge, Stephens Green (or stay on the canal until Charlemont as to miss the luas tracks) and down to the quays by Christchurch compared going via Pearse Street to the Quays.

And the C1/C2 would also get you there in just over 30 minutes.

And if they're going to Heuston before or after 7, there's no change at all!

It'll be fun in a month when this actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You do realise that there are severe heavy goods vehicles restrictions through the city centre as it is?

They aren’t going to be there in the first place unless they have a permit.

Regarding Fleet Street, surely you’re able to use Google Maps and Streetview?

You don’t have to be from somewhere to realise how ridiculous that the idea of large trucks going through Temple Bar is!

Here is the Dublin City Council graphic that makes it clear that Fleet Street will only be access only.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Thanks for that. Obviously this woman hasn’t done her homework so. Unless they are lifting the ‘access only’ but only time will tell. Regarding the trucks, I only used the Guinness-port trucks as an example. I agree about the trucks through Temple Bar ( I used to drive trucks myself ) so it looks like those trucks will have to incur extra expense and green emissions using the tunnel/M50/N4 as an alternative, which is defeating the aim of the restrictions on the Quays

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭alentejo

Regarding Fleet Street & Temple Bar access from Westmoreland Street, i dont think legally they can stop cars traveling thru to the quays.

I know several people whom attend meetings in the central Dublin Area (D1, D2 & D4) and travel up from the county for the day. They all use the quays to leave Dublin heading outbound.

I suspect those in the know will use the Fleet street rat run and continue to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You do know that we have a 5 axle ban in Dublin right? We don't want artics in the city period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We don't have a 5 axle 'ban' in that there is a process to apply to be allowed into the city centre. Not that it's policed...

so it looks like those trucks will have to incur extra expense and green emissions using the tunnel/M50/N4 as an alternative, which is defeating the aim of the restrictions on the Quays

The aim of the restrictions is to remove through traffic from the queues. That doesn't defeat the aim, that literally is the aim.

• Advertisement

Of course I know. I also know there are exceptions permitted,

Advertisement