Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be enough

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Just some notes from us pensioners:

“If you retire early, make sure you continue paying PRSI contributions, or that you are getting credited contributions (if you are eligible). This can help you get a contributory pension when you reach pension age.”

Vets fees can be enormous.

Human dentist fees can be enormous

Back injury? Chiropractor’s fees can be a shock, especially as its weekly visits for as long as they say.

At the end of each month I check our bank balance and hope the balance is higher than the previous month’s, sometimes I am disappointed, especially those months when the house insurance comes up or the car insurance or NCT comes up.

Invitations to weddings, birthday parties, all cost a bit too.

We recently had to have necessary work done on the house, another disappointing balance at the end of the month.

So much to weigh up. Do the sums, really only you can judge.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/older-and-retired-people/state-pension-contributory/#4062a5

• Registered Users Posts: 25,978 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's a good point someone just made: are your kids married? If not but they might - will they expect ye to foot the bill?

I think the income side is probably fine.

But the low savings would worry me: 13k is a very small buffer.

That said, if you can wangle part time work, and keep taking your foreign student in winter, you could be a a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Declan1965

Children are not married but both would not expect us to pay for it, actual savings 18k not 13

Both are working and said if try get married would do so without much cost weddings are massive waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I will never understand people having cc debts, when they have savings to pay it off…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

how many years to retirement? 500 doesn’t sound like a lot to me with less than 20k savings. All depends on what you want to experience in life I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Declan1965

I'm not going to retire, I am out of work at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think with respect 20 k savings is not a lot in this day and age with the potential outlays you might have .Of course nobody knows how long we will live ,living in old age in near poverty would be very tough .A couple of unexpected bills would wipe out those savings with little chance of making that money back .The post from the pensioner above has pretty valid points .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I don't understand why people have credit cards to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anyone could die tomorrow, simple as that. OP you want to live life and fair play. 500 a week is plenty for 2 people.

I'm planning to get mortgage paid off and hope to live on 1k a month easily.

The only thing I wouldn't cheap out on is organic food, health insurance and life insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,818 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Credit cards are great …… for people who are reasonably good at managing their money and don't need them (for credit purposes I mean).

• Advertisement
Advertisement