Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Precisely why I'm impressed Harris brought up the suffering in Gaza. If this is what she says in an election cycle, I'd be interested to see what she says in a more secure (for her) time, instead of Trump being a sycophant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do you have a source to support your claim that “The FBI targeted Catholics… under the leadership of Merrick Garland?”

This claim seems incredible given Biden is a Catholic who frequently attends Sunday mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SonicSuper

Iv'e been surprised we haven't seen bigger bounce in the polls for Harris in her honeymoon period and relief from voters that Biden is out. Looks like she is trailing Trump by 1-2 percentage points which is a massive disappointment.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,752 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Her supporters don't see it that way.

Who do you think is seeing it as a massive disappointment? Biden left her a huge hill to climb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This unclassified document states “Do not distribute externally.” Do you know how it was externally distributed?

A footnote states that this investigation does not apply to the Catholic Church as we know it today, but rather a splinter group that rejected many of the changes since Vatican II, as well as the authority of Popes since Vatican II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Field east

I cannot understand why the democratic side did not let JD V dig a bigger hole for himself with his unbelievable comments and when it’s TOOOOO late for Trump to change his VP pick to then LAMBLAST Vance on his away out positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Field east

I am not too sure re KH attending a lot of rallies , etc. I remember at the last election DT was away ahead of Biden re rallies, publicity in general, Fox, etc were very pro trump. Biden , relatively speaking ran a ‘very downbeat ‘ campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

That doesn't make sense. Won't the Dems still be trying to destroy the country with wokeness? Surely they will still have to vote for the Republican candidate in 2028 to keep the country great?

The words make no sense for the meaning you are ascribing to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,464 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only thing that Vance has shown since he's come to the limelight is that he's a duplicitous rat who'll say and do anything for purely his own gain.

So, in that respect, he's the perfect VP for Trump.

And neither of them shouldn't even be let on the Whitehouse lawn, never mind anywhere else in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Is it ever too late to change VP pick I don't know how it would work out but Trump could proberly do it with no resistance from his base .Trump will keep his vote it looks pretty solid so it's up to KH to appeal to the casual voters and get them on board .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Firstly, of course it's an uphill battle. Secondly though, what she's clearly pushing for is maximizing turnout. That's what will defeat Trump. Trump is losing voters to Harris atm. That's the reality which you seem to be ignoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭briany

There was a massive pandemic raging around the world during the last US presidential election. With respect to large gatherings, Biden ran a campaign paying heed to medical advice, whereas Trump ran with a policy of IDGAF.

As I recall, one of Trump's many errant reasonings as to why he had actually won the 2020 election was that his rally attendances were larger than Biden's.

The polls results only a week after such a dramatic change of a presidential election nominee should be taken with caution. A longitudinal tracking poll with several statistically significant samplings for several weeks leading up to the election would be more descriptive.

Plus, this first week the Harris campaign has been introducing relatively new technology to virtually reach voters, as well as virtually recruit volunteers and donors with extraordinary size Zooms to several categories of voters. For example, they set a Zoom record with their contact of over 145,000 White female voters, so many that the Zoom platform crashed a few times. This sudden rollout of several Zooms may confound the one moment in time polls this week resulting in GIGO.

Furthermore, I would be reluctant to use the honeymoon metaphor in regards to the sudden Harris campaign launch over a short period of time like only 100 days. Not only has it been a frequently used Republican talking point that may suggest bias, but I recall past uses of this political metaphor occurring after winning an election and describing a longer period of time like 6 months to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Redliketoast

No, it did inspire someone to shoot him in the head though. Something that many dem leaning people on here laughed and joked about.

Did many rep leaning people laugh and joke about Jan 6th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Did it? To date there is no evidence that the shooter was inspired by the left to commit the shooting. It's a pretty dishonest line to be pushing. There's a pretty strong possibility that he was considering multiple targets including Biden, a member of the Royal family and Trump. So what manifesto of his have you discovered that indicates he was inspired by the left? You claim to be moderate and want honest discussion but happily just pushed a claim that currently has no factual basis. Why?

Did it? First time I've seen that to be the reason Trump was shot by a registered Republican supporter.

And to your second part, yes (well they tried, but humour is not the rights forte.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Where's your evidence that comparisons of Trump to Hitler inspired the guy to try assassinate Trump?

Also, Rep leaning people here have constantly laughed and joked about Jan 6th, including completely downplaying it, claiming it was just people walking round the building, and misrepresenting it as a bunch of people dressed as shamans trying to get their hands on the nuclear football (in order to deflect about the reasons they were actually there).

It's a lot easier to laugh and joke about something that nearly happened but caused no permanent injury or effect (except of course to the unintended victims who were killed or badly injured). Considering Trump went golfing the next day, yeah, no qualms about making jokes about it.

So again I'll ask; Where's your evidence that comparisons of Trump to Hitler inspired the guy to try assassinate Trump?

• Advertisement

No, it did inspire someone to shoot him in the head though

From the Thomas Crooks Wikipedia,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Matthew_Crooks?wprov=sfla1

Authorities have stated that his political views are unknown, and they have not determined whether his assassination attempt was politically motivated. Public records do not indicate his views. No posts by Crooks on social media or writings indicating his ideology have been found.

I presume from your line, you must have good evidence to contradict this paragraph that you could furnish us all with?

But I thought that words matter? Surely if we can assume what Trump motivated with his words, we can do likewise for the dems and mum?

You're sidestepping this. You explicitly said that the Republican Crooks was inspired by the left. Law enforcement agencies currently do not agree with that assessment. What evidence do you have for this claim? You can't claim to care about facts and make up ones that suit you.

Motivation because of a comment can not be proven.

We will never know if Tommy heard Trump wss the next hitler and decided that it was his time to shine.

We will never know if every person that took part in Jan 6th, heard Trump say "let's march" and thought "he means let's kill".

But what we can assume is that, if you say something inflammatory in the public domain it can reach a wide audience. That wide audience is not limited to rational people. Some people literally think they are the messiah. Some people say things like "if such and such looks at my wife or kid I wouod chop them up into pieces". Whipe i getbthe protection element, some people are a bit too far off the curtain rails.

So if you give these people ideas, it will only go one way.

Trying to deny correlation is naive or just plain lying.

But yea "we are not the same"🤣

Anecdotally, methinks that the huge online, talk shows, and news media reactions to Vance’s resurrected condemnation of childless cat ladies was very timely and destructive of his brand.

Especially when you consider the massive adverse reaction of Swifties (Taylor Swift, who is childless, was pictured on the cover of Time magazine with a cat about her neck after being selected as the person of the year 2023).

As to timing, less than 100 days are left before 5 November 2024, with time shorter for early voting states, and the childless cat lady has placed Vance on the defensive rather than focusing on offensive plays. There have been questions about Trump’s competence when selecting Vance by the press, as well as rumors that Trump may replace him, which seems incredible to me given the short time before election.

We will never know if Tommy heard Trump wss the next hitler and decided that it was his time to shine.

So why perpetuate it then?

No, it did inspire someone to shoot him in the head though

Yes, maybe people were chanting 'hang Mike Pence' outside the US Capitol on January 6th, 2021, not because of a baseless conspiracy the sitting president (!!!) Donald Trump had been front and centre for promoting for two months, at least, including that day itself, but just because they felt like it?

I mean, you never really know, do you? /s

Did the democrat supporter shoot Trump in the head? Yes

Was the commentary widespread? It was almost the biden campaign tagine!!!!

The (registered republican) "Democrat supporter"? That guy?

• Advertisement

Yea the guy who literally supported the democrats by donating to them. That guy

Advertisement