Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Flinty81

Is Roisin Murphy still OK to play I wonder

Hope so 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

No updates from her since, it doesn't sound too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Past ATN highlights

• The general vibe and giddiness of a new festival!
    • The campsite being a 2 minute walk to the main stage
    • The One Love woods stage
    • The big house all lit up and the bandstand in front of it
    • Underworld
    • Mogawi
    • The Black Madonna (now The Blessed Madonna)
    • Yasiin Bey
    • Nils Frahm

• Missing the traffic chaos, took the train and bus and it was a breeze! Felt for the hundreds caught up in the traffic though
    • Orbital (unreal)
    • Fontaines DC (first time to see them live)
    • Jon Hopkins
    • Loyle Carner
    • The Good, The Bad & The Queen (perhaps top 10 gig of all time for me)
    • Ólafur Arnold’s (despite the roof almost collapsing on him with all the rain!)

• HousePlants
    • MELTS
    • Enola Gay
    • Rival Consoles
    • Floating Points
    • Flight Facilities
    • shame
    • Underworld

• Lankum
    • Villagers
    • Overmono
    • Barry Can’t Swim
    • Daniel Avery
    • The Scratch

2024 - Plan

In bold are my must see, the rest I’m pretty easy about. Despite so many repeats there’s still so much to see. I’d like to spend more time this year just wandering around the woods area and discovering things as I go. Definitely more time in The Last City

Friday

17:30 Kean Kavanagh

19:00 Glass Beams

20:00 Cooks But We’re Chefs

22:00 New Jackson and last 30 min of Confidence Man

23:45 Kiamos

01:00 Time to stroll around…Ross From Friends, Maribou State, Trad Rave, George Fitzgerald, Kolsch, Jon10

Saturday

18:00 Rachael Lavelle

18:45 Le Boom

19:15 The Mary Wallopers (should be craic) or Ezra Williams

20:30 Joy (anonymous)

22:30 Floating Points

00:00 Roisin Murphy

01:30 Time to stroll in the woods…The Last City

Sunday (if I manage to swing staying)

17:00 John Francis Flynn or The Wailers

18:30 ØXN

19:15 Future Islands or Sprints (er…clash)

20:15 New Dad or Just Mustard

20:45 Houseplants

21:00 Barry Can’t Swim (damn bad clash)

22:00 Slowdive

22:45 The Prodigy

01:00 Paul Kalkbrenner

Sunday looks too good!

It’s been fun looking back and looking forward to this year! The festival has really grew and matured, as it should, since 2018 but it’s still a small/mid size affair which is to be welcomed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BeardyD

Unpopular opinion I know, but Le Boom have to be the most overrated bunch of chancers I've ever seen I my life. There was blatant lip-syching going on at their last ATN gig and I'm amazed people didn't notice. Musically, it's nothing that isn't being made as well or better by dozens of bedroom producers around the country - honestly, sit down and listen to it, it's very basic stuff. I'd normally tend to big up Irish acts, but I'm actually embarrassed that these are one if our biggest electronic acts. I'm tellin ye lads, this particular emperor is balls naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Any idea if Michael Fry plays his music during his set (would love to hear the below) or is it exclusively stand up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭endainoz

I do agree they're a bit overrated, but jaysus the rest of what you said is a bit harsh Jeff!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭keepwalking

I saw Michael Fry last year @gandalfio and he did one or two of his songs alright, including the RTE one which was current at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

My first year going. As a comedy fan I'm a bit disappointed at the line up for that.

Outside of Tommy Tiernan there's a lot of young, vanilla acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

On the Le Boom topic, I’m not expecting them to win any Mercury awards however for some (e.g. my better half), they have “tunes with words” that are very danceable - automatically elevating them above anything Kiasmos et al will bring to the table. For me, I’ll enjoy bopping along to them in a time slot with not much else on for me - I’ve overlooked them several times at festivals before, time for me to give them a proper look live.

And how rated are they really? Do they have much of a profile outside Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Doc07

This is a great thread, thanks to all the contributors. I’m going with the family to our 1st ATN and first festival for me in many years. I was at EP 1&2 but I think all my festival ‘muscle memory’ is long gone!

Anyway I’m genuinely really excited, for me and the kids. Two boys and a little baby girl so we are aiming to survive 2 nights. Heading down early Saturday and spoiling the family with one of the podpad tents which have camp beds.

Plan to spend few hours in kids area each day then some comedy , some main stage and then take turns with my wife for the later night stuff/checking out some of the smaller stages.

Sunday is main music interest for me. If it all goes to plan I hope to catch Barry Can’t Swim as a family. Then let the boys watch the first few songs of the Prodigy (my favourite band of all time and cool to be able to say I’ve seen them across 4 decades and almost can’t believe I’m going to being my kids to see them, even if it’s a little bit late at night! )
    Then the kids will go off to bed and I’ll get rest of Prodigy and Kalkbrenner to rave my bad knees off to!

Can’t wait , thanks for the various tips and hope weather behaves and you all have a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Coming from Limerick in a camper and trying to meet up with a group from Dublin also in a camper, anyone any idea where would be good to meet so we can arrive and park together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hard disagree. I would be 95% certain they were not lip syncing although I was many substances deep at that stage, but I have seen them probably 6 or 7 times and have never felt that. I'm not here to say they are the best of the best and music is so subjective that arguments like that are irrelevant anyway, but they undeniably bring so much energy to their shows, it's very danceable and 'accessible' (not sure if that's the right word) to people who aren't necessarily hard core dance music fans. I would nearly compare them to Confidence Man in terms of what they bring to a show.

Listening to them on Spotify will not do them justice, they are 100% about the live show. Their gigs at ATN and BTP last year were incredible. The addition of Andy in the last 18 months (brother of the main guy) doing live vocals over their tracks has elevated the and they are IMO a perfect festival act - although I appreciate we all have different tastes. Chancers they are not however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭endainoz

In fairness I wouldn't be gong to the likes of EP or ATN for the comedy anyway. I was never an area that interested me much at either festival, bar maybe the rubberbandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Just be prepared for the hills, especially with the kids if 1 is in a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kennytheboy

Kilmeaden not too far away. Couple of pubs with car parks there. And good food if ye wanted a dinner and real toilets before heading in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You better make it endainoz, haven't met you yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭taramurf

they send Campervans through Kilmacthomas. That’s the best place to convene and drive the last bit in convoy.

They haven’t released the entry route for campervans for this year yet but every other year they have diverted vans through Kilmacthomas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

can anyone remember what time they started letting people into car parks on Thursday last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭roll

According to the Irish Times yesterday, waxahatchee is playing ATN. Can anyone confirm or deny? She would be the icing on an already delicious cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah! I was thinking that was the first I heard of it. I'm seeing her in Vicar Street on the Thursday so entirely possible but why would she not have been announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,940 ✭✭✭✭Basq

She's playing Thursday night in Vicar Street so wouldn't be out of the question. May be a Special Guest / TBA announced this week.

Snippet in Irish Times..

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭crl84

Don't really see any possible slot that she could play, the only TBAs on the 3 biggest stages are one on Saturday night on Lovely Days stage, which is almost certainly a DJ as there's DJs before and after and no changeover time.

The only other one is Sunday 14:30-15:30, first act on the stage, which seems unlikely.

All the other stages seem too small.

There's a 90min slot from 21:30-23:00 on Belonging Bandstand that might in theory work, but can't see her taking that slot, up against a lot of peak time competition, or hanging around for 3 days to do it.

I'd say it's probably just a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Can anyone from the campervan crew remember if the wristbands are different? My buddy is joining my later on Friday to stay in the van with me, but he'll be coming in through general access I guess, so can he make his way to me in the van field?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭taramurf

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dunph

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hugeglobe

Saw someone once call them Farm Those I Love which is pretty funny I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Hard agree. Have also seen them half a dozen times and lip synching is kind of unfathomable for their type of act. As you say, they’re all about the live experience.

You can guarantee they’ll bring a packed crowd for their performance this weekend and the whole place will be hopping throughout. Not much more you can ask for from a festival performer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Would probably be the Friday night, which would be a shame as Id miss her. He latest album one of my favs of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dollarbill20

40 years of age, have been to ep sober and went to wild roots with the kids. First festival going partying and the excitement is explosive. Whether the body and mind will get me through it is anyone's guess. Counting down the hours. But **** me I can't wait to dance for the wkend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Pretty much agree apart from the lip-synching bit. Le Galaxie equally as shite (though they might have split up at this stage. I'd like to think so anyways).

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Advertisement