Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options
1126312641265126612671269»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It is abhorrent but where the **** is your condemnation of the39000 deaths at the hands of Israeli bombs?

You pop in here every now and then with a bit of whataboutery as if all of this happens in a vacuum and is entirely one sided when historically and currently nore people have been killed, injured, maimed, displaced, made refugees by israel than by Hezbollah, hamas, plo ans any number of other aggresove actora conbined.

When does the penny drop that Israel is a terrorist state, a colonial oppressor and should be treated with the it last contempt for how they on an official level, dehumanised millions upon milliona of people

It's only a week since the idf killed Syrian refugee children in lebanon. Did you have the same concerns then?

It's not long since the idf fired rockets at a house killing an entire family of Lebanese civilians with 0 affiliation to any organisation. Idf said they'd investigate of course.

We now have the Israeli government meddling in the affairs of the US judicial system as Pegasus software developers shrug their shoulders and don't give over any of the wholly incriminating documents because the Israeli government is blocking them

Israel is a rogue state. A bad actor on the international stage that should be treated with the same contempt as Russia, Iran and any others you wish to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭engineerws

On the same day the terrorist state of Israel murdered 30 people in school and injured 100 more.

October 7

40 babies beheaded --> lies

Mass rape -→ no evidence

Civilians all killed by Hamas --> large numbers of deaths now attributed to IDf after Hannibal directive

Israel have blown up schools, universities, hospitals, almost everything in Gaza. Where to start, a policy of starving children.

You expect me to believe anything the Israeli state says?

Why not show pictures of the thousands and thousands and thousands of children Israel murdered?

I keep reminding myself of the nice Israeli people I met but Israel is a magnitude of order worse than Hezbollah. In my eyes they are the worst terrorist organisation active in the world. They can bomb Damascus and nobody even notices and on and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Commentary that is oblivious to appalling double standards is sick also Francie

Then the same should be said e.g. claimed by the psycho killer state of Israel that double taps toddlers when sniping.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/07/19/gaza-hospitals-surgeons-00167697

But it doesn't happen like that. At least the times has balance but RTE has gone to the dogs and just been awarded 750 million by us for their Pravda reporting. I'm really angry with RTE reporting and that of the BBC and it's not just me, e.g.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/bbc-reporters-criticize-broadcaster-over-its-pro-israel-bias-coverage-of-palestine/3063212#:~:text=In%20the%20letter%2C%20the%20reporters,in%20the%20Israel%2DPalestine%20issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I pay the licence fee and I don't ever want an RTÉ that reports world events as "claimed by psycho killer state of xxx" thanks.

Are you saying the attack on Israel did not happen, it was a bunch of "crisis actors"? What is your point? I assume it is easy enough for them to confirm there was an attack, and a number of people died (vs Gaza, for reasons I mentioned).

BTW we are not in the UK, and how the BBC reports on Israel-Palestine and the ME has very little to do with RTÉ, the ones that you criticised (and I believe made an incorrect claim about) in the original rant.

Also it is ironic that you would use an article selected from the state news agency of a kind of "managed democracy" with a wannabe dictator figure in charge (Turkey) to try and prove a claim about the BBC.

Ranting about "Pravda" operations in RTÉ when you seem to just want the reporting there to stroke your prejudices and reflect them right back at you is funny too.

edit: for sake of interest here is their current article on it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0727/1462176-golan-heights-rocket-attack/

The "lede" seems to describe the events in a neutral and accurate fashion.

A rocket attack on a football ground in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights has killed 12 people, including children, Israeli authorities said, with Israel accusing Hezbollah of the strike but the Lebanese group denying any role.

Hezbollah denied any responsibility for the strike, the deadliest in Israel or Israeli-occupied territory since the start of the war in Gaza.

Post edited by fly_agaric at

• Advertisement

Just saw this and think J Cook gives the context far better than I.

https://x.com/Jonathan_K_Cook/status/1817365320656429265

BCC coverage of the attack on a football pitch in the Golan Heights has been intentionally misleading.

The BBC's evening news entirely ignored the fact that those killed by the blast are 12 Syrians, not Israeli citizens, and that for decades the Syrian population in the Golan has been forced to live unwillingly under an Israeli military occupation.

I suppose mention of this context might complicate the story Israel and the BBC wish to tell – and risk reminding viewers that Israel is a belligerent state occupying not just Palestinian territory but Syrian territory too (not to mention nearby Lebanese territory).

It might suggest to audiences that these various permanent Israeli occupations have been contributing not only to large-scale human rights abuses but to regional tensions as well. That Israel's acts of aggression against its neighbours might be the cause of "conflict", rather than, as Israel and the BBC would have us believe, some kind of normal, pre-emptive form of self-defence.

The BBC, of course, chose to uncritically air comments from a military spokesman for Israel, who blamed Hizbullah for the blast in the Golan.

Daniel Hagari tried to milk the incident for maximum propaganda value, arguing: "This attack shows the true face of Hizbullah, a terrorist organisation that targets and murders children playing soccer."

Except, as the BBC forgot to note, in 2014 Israel infamously targeted and murdered four young children from the Bakr family playing football on a beach in Gaza.

And much more recently, video footage showed Israel striking yet more children playing football at a school in Gaza that was serving as a shelter for families whose homes were destroyed by earlier Israeli bombs.

Doubtless other strikes in Gaza over the past 10 months, so many of them targeting school-shelters, have killed Palestinian children playing football – especially as it's one of the very few ways they can take their mind off the horror all around.

So, should we – and the BBC – not conclude that all these attacks on children playing football make the Israeli military even more of a terrorist organisation than Hizbullah?

The BBC next went to Jerusalem to hear from diplomatic editor Paul Adams. He intoned gravely:

"This is precisely what we have been worrying about for the past 10 months – that something of this magnitude would occur on the northern border, that would turn what has been a simmering conflict for all of these months into an all-out war."

So there you have it. Paul Adams and the BBC concede they haven't been worrying for the past 10 months about the genocide unfolding under their noses in Gaza, or its consequences. A genocide of Palestinians, apparently, is not something of significant "magnitude".

Only now, when Israel can exploit the deaths of Syrians forced to live under its military rule as a pretext to expand its "war", are we supposed to sit up and take notice. Or so the BBC tells us.

Hope the above answers your questions. I suggest reading a history book on Israel.

Fwiw, there's more here.

Good write up here too.

The Irish Times on a good day might report something like that but forget about RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You're just spouting a load of old waffle!

There's only one terrorist state in this war, it's Hamas, the organization that is designated as such by every Western country in the world.

Netanyahu made his war aims very clear from day one of this fight. Israel must dismantle Hamas and remove it from control of Gaza. Hamas were the aggressor in this war, Hamas are the ones who continue to fight, Hamas are the ones that use women and children as human shields, Hamas are the ones responsible for the rape and murder of Israeli's.

Until this despotic regime is removed from power, Israel can never have security.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Seems like you are forgetting who is also up on genocide and war crime charges there Francie, surprise, surprise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sounds like you still have your head in the sand. I've already gone into some fairly lengthy detail on this thread about a fraction of the atrocities attributed to the state of Israel

That'll be the Netanyahu who helped fund Hamas for years. The war criminal Netanyahu

Carry on being deliberately ignorant though. You have nothing if substance to say while you carry on spouting compete and utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement