Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

Yeah 4 days is such a big jump from two though. Yeah very good point on the private sector there, good way to get rid of staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Since the initiation of the framework WFH has been expanded in some sections.

I haven’t heard this at all but like a poster said it is just anecdotal from me. A survey would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I think we need some questions on WFH while on probation and/or starting a new role. 👍

Also if depts have reduced desk spaces.

My Dept now has approx 50% less desk spaces than we did pre-pandemic, and all are hotdesks. If (big IF) we were all suddenly ordered to double our number of office days, desk spaces would be a major issue.

@TaurenDruid

Other good questions (if you can figure out how to work it in) would be

• does the WFH policy differ between grades within your Dept?
    • does the WFH policy differ between different areas of your Dept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Understood - the lack of certainty is absolutely a pain. On the other hand, I have colleagues commuting two days/week from well outside Dublin (or just making the trip once and couch-surfing/staying with relatives on the one night), including those who have started since WFH came in, so if you could put up with that, it might still be an option.

As others have mentioned, private sector companies who have long-term leases on expensive city centre offices have other reasons for wanting a RTO. And another issue, as also mentioned, is actual office size - I know our own headcount, too, has increased and we couldn't fit all of our staff if they insisted on more days in the office. There's also sustainability policies. Makes no sense to make people commute for no reason, anyway, but that's a lot of extra people on public transport or driving, which makes no sense when public transport can barely cope and we want to reduce emissions.

that’s it for my situation to be honest, and if some areas are doing it , no reason why my own department won’t follow suit eventually. I think I’d take 3 days in the office instead of 2 if I had it in writing. Ah well I joined during Covid from the private sector knowing that it could be 100% full return so you gotta take what you get. Hard to do too much complaining when it wasn’t in any contract to circular to begin with! Yeah agree with that from an environmental point of view.

I have made this point multiple times, across multiple threads on the subject, but it bears repeating every now and again.

WFH is given based on whether the role is suitable to be carried out from home, or not. Not on the officer carrying out the role. Which is why it does not form part of CS employment contracts.

Some roles of work require more in-office attendance than others, e.g. techical maintenance or public facing roles in offices like Intreo, Justice or Revenue. Most people would understand this before accepting those roles.

Even within Depts, sections can vary differently on WFH. I know sections within my own dept where the two day rule is not strictly adhered to, and some where it is. Different business needs, different managers.

It's also why a new application to WFH has to be made each time someone moves section within a dept, or gets promoted, or moves to another dept on mobility.

Some people still find this hard to get their head around. WFH is tied to the work, not the person doing it, and there will never be a "one-size-fits-all" policy for the whole CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

My department has increased desk space and we still don't have enough.

It's a constant battle to get a desk for a new starter.Its like musical chairs.

Be end of year at least before the office is set up to accommodate everyone properly.

Has your dept taken on lots of new staff recently?

Mine definitely has, and we are 100% hotdesks now. No one has a fixed desk (except Minister's Office and Sec Gen Office). Though certain days of the week are more popular than others for WFO (Tuesday and Wednesday.)

Actually, that would be another good question for the survey ( @TaurenDruid )

• What days are most popular with staff for WFO?
    • Do you have a fixed desk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A lot of new positions and new staff the past year.

Offices getting a complete overhaul with,reclaiming unused storage areas and new lay outs ,new desks etc.

There will be no hotdesking in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Highlighter75

I love my pension, flexi, AL amd WFH. The CS rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bartkingcole

I am in the private sector and 4 days is now what it is - with a little flexibility - ok to do early or late calls from home and then come to the office/leave early. The talk post Covid was that WFH was the new normal but I think the new normal is looking like the old normal.

I was in the CS post financial crisis. Pay cuts, leave cuts, additional hours etc.. everyone thought these were untouchable. Hospitality businesses who pay rates have been complaining that city/town centres are quieter and they are losing business. There are no certainties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Get a job in a general grade then. The fact inky one Departmnet has moved to 4 days says it all. Revenue is one day AFAIK. They are management board in revenue aren't going to aunndely walk up tomorrow and think they need to go into the office 4 days a week. Crazy to suggest they will.

From what I've heard, around 90% of Departments are all in favour of blended working and wfh. There seems to be a fairly even split between 2 days or 3 days in the office. Again, I just think that suddenly all those Departments will walk up tomorrow and demand 4 days in the office is just not based in any rational logic to he blunt about it.

I’m a grade 1 so only PO would be worth my while and not sure if there is too many purely financey ones of those. I’ve heard this about revenue could defo be an option alright. I don’t think it’s irrational to suggest a lot of departments will start to add a day or two in the office for the week. I mean it’s already started.

Yeah and if you look at the general WFH thread every single comment is about more days in the office, it ain’t going the other way.

Agreed , much prefer it than the private sector so far.

So you're in the private sector, and not civil service now.

OK then.

• Advertisement

Why so defensive? This is not private v public sector. I had 25 years service which is a lot more than people here have had. I know how hard working many are in the public sector going above and beyond.

I am not advocating for more days in the office just pointing out CS can change and is not immune to outside factors. I regularly meet with former colleagues and they have said that some in top management want more days in the office amid some grumbling around performance issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

But it hasn't already started. Unless you're using the example of Departments going from full time working from home during Covid to the current situation. As I said, one Department is four days a week. That's all. Every other Department is either three or two and I know some Departments who were three days in the office went to two, and I'm sure the vice-a-versa has happened but to suggest all Departments have shifted to more days in the office is incorrect.

I am just weary of listening to the same old, same old, arguments over and over again

I will say it seems to be predominantely those who are either currently in the private sector or those who have come to the CS from it, that have this idea that what happens in the private sector heavily influences what happens (or will happen) in the Civil Service. It doesn't.

Not to mention, WFH actually existed in the CS long before the pandemic happened. I was working two days a week from home even before then.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

And to suggest I suggested that is equally incorrect. It looks to me like you’ll never have a decent level of certainty over it in the CS. I did say anecdotally I had only heard of areas decreasing wfh, not increasing. A survey will make that easier to see.

To suggest the CS only exists in its own vacuum is rather naive.

We don't know what Department is allegedly now four days a week, and / or if that applies to all staff across the board or just within certain areas of it.

I myself mentioned earlier, that Intreo offices (part of DSP) have limited WFH available by roster for public facing staff, but it does not apply across the board to everyone else in the whole department.

Hopefully we will find out. I'm going to ask around my colleagues to see if they've heard anything about it.

But I can tell you, there is no push to increase WFO in my department. Quite the opposite. WFH is highly encouraged and every support for it is given.

Nobody suggested the CS exists in a vaccum. But I will repeat my earlier points for your benefit.

The private sector and the public sector (and within the public sector, the CS) are very different animals.

You seem to think the private sector has a much greater influence on the civil service, than it actually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Anthony A

It's definitely used as a tool to get people to leave in the private sector and unfortunately they can and will change it on a whim and upend people's life's while demanding compliance. I would hope CS aren't the same but don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The same thing will happen in the civil service, is the point.

• Advertisement

yes that’s the point, if wfh becomes unusual the civil service won’t be on its own letting people wfh 3 and 4 days a week. It’s not to radical of a statement I’d have thought , but seems to be met with some severe incredulity on here. I guess we weren’t all at the meetings. To suggest we don’t care what the private sector does is bonkers.

Advertisement