Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Tory leadership debates run on Oxford and Eton PolSoc rules. It's about being the more entertaining debater not the most factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Randycove

when you have no capability to wngage in a meaningful manner, then I guess labelling someone as a Tory mouthpiece, simply because they have an opinion that doesn’t match yours, is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The issue with school fees is not only are they smashing them with +20% VAT but they are also withdrawing the exemption from corporation tax. It is not possible to hit a sector that hard and not expect bankruptcies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't see what the issue is though? Fees have risen for private schools to £18K for day schools and £42.4K for boarding schools on average. Private schools seems to me to be for those few that can afford it so having fewer schools may not be a bad thing. I see they tried to suggest there will be fewer students going to private schools and schools will close, and yet the actual figures show an increase in students and while some schools have closed, more opened so you have more independent schools than before.

The fees have outstripped inflation so those schools can eat the increases instead of putting it on parents, like they have done before the VAT and business rate costs they will face.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/article/2024/jun/15/number-of-private-school-pupils-rises-despite-claims-families-priced-out-by-labours-vat-plan#:~:text=Average%20fees%20for%20private%20day,of%20%C2%A342%2C459%20a%20year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Was the same said for austerity where councils had their budgets slashed? Maybe the schools can sell off some playing pitches or cut back on the uniforms and school trips.

Not much of a business model if it relies on tax exemptions to survive. Showing yet again that private schools are being subsidised by the tax payer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a fake issue in a way, the reality is a larger number of parents will "fees" by the backdoor by paying extra to live in a good post code so ensuring that their kids go to better schools

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,574 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

On the school fees

Private schools have waiting lists, very long waiting lists.

Average class size is 15 pupils, if schools were to raise their class size by 3 pupils per class the extra revenue would offset the loss of VAT exemption meaning schools wouldn't have to charge parents any extra.

The likes of Harrow and Hailibury will survive, but private schools can and do go bankrupt. Every economic sector has its weaklings.

Issue is this being the start of a pattern: Large amount of revenue need to be raised and targets like this that are not covered by tax pledges are all narrow, so they will all have to be subjected to large increases. And this will push some over the edge. Rejigging CGT and Council Tax are probably next but after that it is on to fuel duties and business rates.

All sorts of gaming the system goes on. According to the Sutton Trust just under half of pupils in London have private tuition on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its not even gaming the system, nothing is being hidden except that "good schools" usually equates to meaning no poor people "wink wink" , its rational behaviour you cant shout out why you are doing it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

If some private schools go to the wall so be it. It's good for these private businesses to experience the free market capitalism that is so loved and fought for by the politicians and champions of industry they produce.

Quite. My argument is that it will happen, not whether it should or should not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The hysterics are utterly pathetic. Before the election, they were making this out as a tax on working people who just wanted their children to have the best. Fine for working class children to go to literally decomposing schools though.

There are many things wrong with this country and private schools are part of that mess.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭flatty

I don't quite buy the argument that UK private schools are being funded by the taxpayer. It is more accurate I think, to say that the parents of the majority of private school children are paying tax to support an education system if which they largely don't avail. They are now paying even more. It's a choice, but many will I think opt for the more effective route in every way, of state school and tutors. This will put more pressure on state school places.

Most private schools will have to get less picky about who they accept, and hope to survive.

It's an odd situation, and I can see both sides of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The benefit of private schools extends far beyond the level of education received. They are a status symbol as well and a means to build networks.

Private school fees have increased naturally by far more than this vat increase and no one batted an eye. I'd be shocked if any appreciable number of people followed through on these "threats"

Actually they are a significant handicap when applying to university. Anyone who says they aren't is ignorant of the system.

Many of them filter at admission, so only bright kids get in, but state grammar schools do that more ruthlessly again. The good state schools recruit locally, so after a while, the house prices go up significantly in the catchment area, which becomes a middle class ghetto.

There are no easy answers.

If they ban private schools, or make them unaffordable, private tutors will simply flourish.

There is an awful lot of uninformed comment on here, from folk who have no idea of the reality on the ground.

Im unsure what you mean by "threat". If folk can't afford to send their kids to private school, there is no "threat" about being unable to afford it. The kids will take a state school place, and the private schools will become even more a privileged enclave.

Kemi Badenoch has entered the race to be Tory leader,

Just as Suella Braverman probably realised she will not have any support from Tory MP's to become leader,

Find it interesting that Badenoch seems to live in fairyland, where she seems to think the only thing Labour has done so far is just say, "Labour good, Tories bad…", it is also not a great sign for discourse if her speech opposite Angela Rayner is an indication of how she will approach being leader. All personal attacks in the vein of Johnson and not a lot of substance if she is elected leader, then again the lines are so easy for Labour to counter I don't know if she will get a lot of traction.

Finally, a status symbol? Ah here.

I wonder if you are applying an Irish filter to an English situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

All you've done here is make a load of wild, baseless comments with insults prepared for anyone who disagrees.

It's not a convincing argument, just another very weak defence of an unfair system.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Not sure who this is directed at or what you are trying to say. I guess being a discussion board it would be nice to be more particular about what you are saying so we can have a discussion about it, being cryptic does not seem to do anything to have a conversation about what we are discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Badenoch will be a great choice,….for the Labour party. She is so abrasive and belittling, the Tories def won't be back by 2030.

Actually they are a significant handicap when applying to university. Anyone who says they aren't is ignorant of the system.

LoL. There is simply no other response to that garbage. I am fully aware of the system and this is painfully wrong.

Im unsure what you mean by "threat".

People saying they will withdraw their kids from private schools if VAT is brought in are lying. Do I need it make it any clearer?

This is one of the weirder things I've ever read in how wrong it is. You don't often get asked what school you went to in Ireland, it is a common question in England. Your secondary/high school dictates huge amounts about you in certain social circles (c.f. Eton). The prevalence of students from these schools in Oxbridge is utterly ridiculous and has no correlation with the ability of the students.

@flatty

Bit steep to call university WP schemes a handicap since student places are not capped like they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL I went to Blackrock College and I can categorically say nobody views them as a status symbol, it's either viewed as a symbol of your parents having varying degrees of money depending on which tier of school you went to which has nothing to do with status or more often than not most will automatically assume you are a pompous bell end, especially if you are the kind of person who makes it patently clear you went to private school or make it your first question to anyone they meet simply so they can boast about where they went.

Personally I cringe anytime the question gets thrown out as I know automatically the kind of person I'm dealing with and then have to deal with the varying reactions and stereotyping when I say where I went.

The only similarity between UK and Irish private schools is it absolutely opens doors and gives access thanks to the old boys clubs.

Post edited by VinLieger at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Historically, this was absolutely the case for Oxbridge. There has been some moves to address this and kids from private/public schools that would have historically got into Oxbridge are not now. The top of crop obviously still are. A lot of the top public schools here at now supporting applications to USA colleges. That said, nearly 100% of the top public schools in the UK will sent kids to Russell group universities. The "where did you go to school question" is very prevalent in certain social circles here.

Some of the smaller independent schools in the UK will definitely feel the pinch with Labour's plans. A lot of the smaller prep schools do not have the financial reserves of the bigger boarding schools.

As others have said, parents will opt for grammar schools, or buy houses in the catchment areas of good state schools. Private tutoring will increase, and this is already common for kids at independent schools. The top public schools (Eton, Harrow etc) will become more exclusive for rich British kids and will also take in more rich international families.

I don't see increased private tutoring as a reason not to do this. Yes it will increase is private schools decline but it's a lot harder to use a specific tutor to show off compared to a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭yagan

On an aside we were often told that we must have gone to posh schools in Ireland as my wife had played hockey, although when she also mentioned comogie they assumed it was posh because it used sticks as well.

Actually saying the schools we went to were run by catholic orders sounds exclusive to a lot of English people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement