Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That certainly seems excessive. The AA stats say you should be getting about 20,000 miles from a set of tyres which is about 32,000km. That runs in line with the posts above.

I just checked the 2017 PHEV in the garden there too, Goodyear Eagle F1 RSC 275 35 R20 on the 530e and there on that car since 2020 and has clocked up 35000km with no sign of wear at all. That’s also a RWD car but albeit with a lower 252bhp and they can’t be rotated as they are staggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Out of interest, have you noticed a difference in noise from the two brands of tyres?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The lower tread depth from 8mm to 6mm does play in a big factor in rolling resistance, Allows them to get a better economy rating on the tyre. Doesnt seem like much, but.

Say you wear them down to 2mm, on a 6mm tyre that is 4mm of available wear, On a 8mm tyre there is 6mm of available wear. Thats 50% more wear available to on the 8mm tyre.

I personally run all season tyres as I live on untreated roads and dont want a little shower of snow prevent me from getting home or leaving. (120k km roughly and its got its second set of all seasons in march, first set was nov 2020).

Michelins to Hankook. No noise difference to my ears. Now that’s not using a db meter but general day to day no difference. Handling very similar so far too.

Both the above would be way above my experience with the Pirelli PZeros. I’d never buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

would a narrower tyre on a heavy car wear quicker than a wider tyre?

In general, yes. But manufacturers are trying to use different compounds to reduce this wear in EV’s. They make them narrower on EV’s in an attempt to reduce aerodynamic drag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Im finished with the free replacement tyres on the Cupra now so when I'm talking to my tyre guy I'll be making sure plenty of thread depth. I might also get run flats, I hate not having a spare. I'm not too worried about a minimal effect on range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭creedp

Would aagree On the P-Zeros. I normally drive with music pretty loud so it drowns out any tyre noise but yesterday I had a passenger who wanted to talk😁 so I turned it off and at 130kmh the tyre noise was really intrusive. Far louder that my diesel 7 seater which is on Nexens and the Leaf on GY efficient grips. Unfortunately I've a long way to go before they are replaced.

Nexen are really good in my experience. I’ve had them on a G30 520d before. I’d have no problem fitting them to the EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

My ex ID.3 with Goodyears were still good at 27k, but others with the Bridgestones reported a lot of wear. But I think they started with less thread depth.

My Model 3 RWD is now at just 38k with a good bit of thread remaining, but will probably change the rears at about 40k or a bit more. I am pleasantly surprised tbh, but I do try and drive fairly smoothly, particularly with regen. Was behind a Model 3 recently and the brake lights were continuously on and off. The lights only come on with full or almost full lift off.

Both our present and past Hyundai are also easy on the tyres. The missus also has about 38k on her present Ioniq 5, all the tyres still have loads of thread, but hers is the low powered version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've 12K on my Born and the tyres are perfect front and rear I've never actually measured them but in no way do they look worn. I never use regen or B mode as it's called in the Born, I hate it I much prefer push and glide it gives a much smoother ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is there no one pedal driving on the Born? Press less to slow, press more to go faster. The smoothness is then dependent on the driver. Find it much smoother than the constant brake/accelerate in an ICE.

There is regen or one pedal driving as you call it, VW call it B mode, I don't like it I find it very tiresome on my foot. I actually did a test exclusively using B mode compared to using D mode (push and glide), for the same amount of battery percentage used B mode gave me a whopping 2 km extra.

I don't like B mode either. Or eco. I just put in in the normal mode. Don't even bother with the dynamic mode or whatever they call it

It's a pain in the nuts changing modes it was a novelty for the first 3 days, like yourself I just get in, select D and away I trundle into the night 😊 smiling as a months driving costs less than €8 thanks to Bord Gais…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I find it makes little difference that I notice in the urban environment. Or maybe I'm not watching the range in normal use.

On a longer trip on hillier national road vs motorway it certainly extends my range a fair bit. Though I'm also driving slower which is the bigger part of it. But you'd notice on some sections your regen means your using negligible battery for a decent distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Do you do a lot of urban driving or mostly open roads? I actually use B mode all the time because I find it easier for the stop-start traffic around town

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I set my Tesla to 1 pedal driving the day I bought it (March 2020), and haven't changed it to any other setting since…

For me its one of the best features an EV can have..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

B vs D mode in the VW's is not meant to be an efficiency thing.

B is just stronger regen when you take your foot off the accelerator which reduces your need to press the brake. That doesnt always equate to better efficiency though. It could in some cases actually reduce efficiency where you want the car to coast but it instead decides to regen.

It also would have close to zero effect on a motorway journey as you are using very little regen on motorways, so B vs D there should be almost identical. B is more for urban start/stop type driving.

B vs D is simply a driver preference. I'm like a few others above where I dont like B at all as it is tiresome to be feathering the throttle all the time. I prefer to judge whats ahead and let the car coast and use the actual brake pedal if required. Each to their own though! No right or wrong way to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

How many kms is a month's driving? Have you any idea of the cars power consumption in a month?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A lot of people miss this, not slowing down the car at all is much more efficient than regeneration, regeneration is more efficient than friction braking. Not using a blended brake system is one of the things I think Tesla got wrong. Regen on the brake pedal should absolutely be a thing on all ev's. That being said I do like one pedal driving, but purely as a convenience factor.

• Advertisement

Just hit 12K and I have the car a year so about 1K a month. With the 0.597c EV rate I've just started on with BG it's extremely cheap driving. This time of year it's showing 15kw/100 that will increase to around 20 in winter as I can't stand a cold car, it'll probably average out around 10 to 11 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Even more than one pedal driving I enjoy zero pedal driving. Appropriately set cruise control will increase, hold and decrease speed when necessary, will brake (both regen and friction if needed) up to a standstill. :-)

Practically all town driving, the standard D system is very good as it does a good bit of intelligent driving for me by reading the road ahead, that's without using the ACC, I think it's a great system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

the standard D system is very good as it does a good bit of intelligent driving for me by reading the road ahead, that's without using the ACC, I think it's a great system.

+1

Its one of the few things that VAG really got right in their software. Its way better than what others, inc Tesla, have imo.

It is largely unreported though as the rest of the software experience, as we know, has been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

+2 auto adaptive regen on the eNiro was class. Blended braking I believe so a B mode wasn't really needed.

Never had a bother with my car since I collected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Which car did you purchase? €10 a month is phenomenal. Have you got your figures correct?

His numbers stack up alright. If you use the EV plans properly it's ridiculously cheap driving.

100kms for a euro is great isn't it

My upper usage is 40 units a week, normally 35, taking it at 40*4=160 per month, using EV rate of 0.06c gives 160*0.06=€9.60. I have a Cupra Born. Last week I used 31 units which cost €1.86 probably €2.00 allowing for losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It can be done, could be even cheaper with solar

It's important however to consider your total energy usage. Your car will be included in your houses electricity bill, so when switching to an EV friendly plan beer sure to look how that'll affect the rest of your usage

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement