Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Olympics boxers Paris 2024

• 27-07-2024 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,537 ✭✭✭✭

Be good to have thread for our boxing team

Kicks off at 16:20 Irish time today with Dean Clancy at 63.5 kgs vs a boxer from Jordan

FB page for IABA is good to follow to keep up to date on draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Seems the draw has been kind to us for the most part. What do we think are realistic expectations? Seeing some big numbers being thrown about (5/6 medals) and while achievable i'm kind of struggling to see where they come from.

Difficult to see who in the mens side medals. I think Gallagher and Marley prob our biggest chances but still will likely need to win as underdogs to medal. Aidan Walsh's draw looks very tricky.

Women's side looks much more favourable. Harrington and O'Rourke really should medal and there's a few others who should give it a right go. I'm going to say Grainne Walsh medals as an outsider.

3 medals total I reckon which would still be a very good haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kellie, Michaela Walsh and O’Rourke female side good chances, but only Gallagher men’s side I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Damn Clancy gone would have thought he'd win that. Close fight, thought he might have gotten it with the point deduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He clearly lost the first, but I thought he nicked the second and won the 3rd. With the point off it was enough for me, but he let it be too close really.

Either way the winner was likely to be comfortably beaten in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

He got bullied in there!

Think the occasion got to him!

• Advertisement

Not physically strong enough and was repeatedly getting hit with jabs from a shorter lad. Range wasn’t great either. Lot a judges scoring can come down to aggression. And all the aggression was with opponent

Tomorrow we have Aidan Walsh 10:20 and Grainne Walsh 16:20 and Jack Marley 19:30

Aidan Walsh out. Always gonna be tricky being drawn against a Frenchman in front of that crowd but seemed to really take his foot off the gas in the 3rd after a decent start. Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Aidan Walsh out now aswell.

Handily won the first, and probably won the 2nd clear enough in normal circumstances, but when you're fighting a home fighter "clear enough" just isn't enough.

Walsh should have known that and done more to make sure he got that round (he lost it 4-1). He got dominated then in the last, hurt with a hook and held on consistently and received a warning for it.

Perhaps just the couple of fights I've watched from our fighters, but the judges do seem to be favouring aggression, even if it's ineffective.

When a referee has to tell you to engage twice you should be kicked out..always been too negative.

• Advertisement

Hungarian good. I thought she won rd 1 well. 3-2

Grainne needs to be sharper

Hungarian too sharp.

Hugh Cahill awful analyst

Grainne needs big rd 3

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bartkingcole

was that wrestling or boxing?

Stinking start for our boxers. Just seem to be getting too easily outworked. Really thought Grainne could have a run in her.

Lot messy tangling, but when it was pure boxing, Hungarian sharper and cleaner

let’s see how the others go but hard to see many medals. Is KH a real prospect or well beyond her best?

She’s not well beyond her best. Her style exact same and sharp-enough. She could get gold or lose in her first bout. Depends on her opponents and her own performances

good fight here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭secman

Definitely the aggressor, don't think the Pole fancies it

Marley went out and earned that win.

• Advertisement

GB having a stinker with their boxing as well. Sounds like one of their female fighters was very hard done by though.

Julio Cesar La Cruz beaten today as well. Quest for 3rd gold finished. One out of Marley’s way!!!

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jack Marley fought a great fight there against a very difficult opponent.

He looks small for a heavyweight but I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of those haymakers he throws. There's only one gear with him and that's fast forward but he's cunning and he's well able to take a belt as well.

He reminds me of a former Olympian Kieran Joyce, raw natural talent.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Kellie Harrington 60 kgs premlin at 14:45 today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Has anybody found a stream that shows the entire boxing ….. not just the occasional fight ?

Thought the GB Super HW was fairly hard done. Thought he definitely should have gotten the win

Jennifer Lehane 11:35 vs. China @ 54 kgs

Bit of a dark horse Lehane I think. Hopefully makes this a closer fighter than the bookies odds suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is there somewhere to watch it (legal stream I mean of course)

Advertisement