Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Stewball

Nerves are shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

When Walsh scores 1 from play and misses 3 frees it's not Galways day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sorry lads but Galway have coughed up an all Ireland today. A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭cmac2009

He looked broken after the final whistle. Hope he has some good support around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Hard luck Galway. I think Padraig Joyce had the team set up a bit too negative. A lot of the time it seemed that a Galway player was too afraid to take a shot at the posts. The Galway forwards seemed to prefer playing pass the parcel with the ball at times! A bit more of a positive approach and Galway would have won that i think.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Analysis from listening on the radio. Finnerty going off was a huge blow. Surely Tomo would have been a better replacement,. experience or not. Armagh wouldn't have studied him as much and as an actual inside forward, he would have taken some watching.

John Maher sounded like a stalwart. Fair play to him.

Paul Conroy time and again steps up with crucial scores. It would be a pity if that was his last game but wouldn't be surprised if he steps away. He owes Galway nothing.

It sounded like Comer never budged from inside. If that's the tactic, fair enough. But in that case you need to have the likes of John Daly on the pitch willing to kick a few balls into him. He can't take the blame for being anonymous if he's been told to stay in there and the ball isn't going next nigh or near him

If anyone bar Walsh had the game he had, he would have been called ashore. He should at least been taken off the frees, but who else could have taken them? Tierney before he went off should have been given one or two.

The missed frees are on Galway. Armagh though deserve so much credit for making it very difficult to shoot.

Congrats to Armagh. Wide open in 2025 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah better team lost. Galway supporters must be sick.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Better team on paper may have lost, but the team who actually tried to win the match today did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

What shite again I’m finished following that scutter. Every chance to win it. Walsh, Comer and Finnerty all missing in action and the manager didn’t help either. Rant over.

If that was the first one to lose yeah fair enough but that’s the second in 2 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

Armagh’s full forward line of Turbitt, Murnin and Grugan were fairly poor too, I know Grugan went off injured as well. Armagh stumbled over the line to be honest. Galway had every chance to win it.

I’m not a Galway man but was rooting for ye as a Clare man, but felt ye threw that away thought Conroy, D’Arcy and Maher were outstanding in particular for Galway and gave it their. Also again McHugh was good and was cruel that he had to miss the last chance.

Is their much up and coming inside forwards coming through in Galway I know Tomo Culhane, O’Conghaile and Rory Cunningham all look promising, surely one of these lads should have been given a chance or more game time in the championship. Walsh and Comer didn’t look fit for most of the year, the injuries seemed to catch up on Galway in the end.

I would have respect for Armagh as well and fair play to them. But looking at the game today they were one of the poorest All Ireland winners, in terms of a team winning an All Ireland and actually playing badly. Haven’t seen a team play so bad in along time and win an All Ireland, maybe Kerry in 2014 were the last team that I could think that played that poorly and still won.

Anyway commiserations to ye in Galway, it’s gonna be hard for this group to come back from this loss, especially considering it was there for the taken, if Armagh had played really well and beaten Galway doing so it might have been easier to come back from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

DIssappionted for the players and management. We weren't accurate enough, play was slow and ponderous which suited armagh. Finnerty going of early didn't help but I thought bringing on heaney and pushing teirney inside took Tierney out of the game, why didn't he bring in sweeney and inject some pace into it. We really missed john dalys kick passing inside today. I thought he would've being brought on at half time for fitzgerald. The line had a poor day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Such nonsense, Armagh deserved to win because they took more of their chances. Your hatred of Armagh is desperate, will you ever get over this.

Not hatred at all Armagh won but it was more Galway losing it. Walsh through away 5 scores at least 2/3 easy.
    Armagh won Sam because other teams fluffed it. Group stage v Galway match Galway controlled keeper error. Rossie QF man sent off - Armagh man up 40 minutes. Semi Final Kerry keeper error. Final Walsh terrible on frees.

Armagh won’t win another for a while the luck was with them. Other s lost it rather than Armagh winning .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Am I right in saying Armagh didn’t lose a single championship game………

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Watching as a neutral, it did feel a bit like Armagh fell over the line. Helped significantly by Galway's lack of composure and kicking away far too many good chances. Comer and Walsh were well off it today and didn't have the impact you'd expect.

Conroy and McHugh can feel hard done by, they've both had brilliant seasons. But overall it just wasn't good enough from Galway today.

Keep the heads up. You still have a very strong squad and will be back to challenge for another All Ireland again I'm sure.

correct first belt he got he was looking to be taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Challenge being the operative word.

In my opinion Galway let Armagh dictate the game, by not imposing their game on Armagh.

Armagh found it far too easy to knife through the Galway defence, also Armagh took most of their chances, had the bit of luck, Galway did not take their chances and had no luck.

Not a very entertaining game for the neutral or semi neutral.

• Advertisement

will you stop talking shite. I’m sick at **** of losing all Irelands and hearing we will be back next year. There is no **** next year. Win this o e and worry about the next one then. Too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not Galway's day for sure, but if you have any flags and/or bunting up. Leave it where it is. There's still a Senior LFGA and a Senior Camogie final with Galway presence. We might see some silverware yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Armagh didn't win that, Galway lost it, threw it away. Walsh and Comer the big villains, one for not showing up again in a Final and one for underperforming again when it matters.

Management massively to blame too though. Walsh should have been off the frees as soon as he missed the first, he has form for doing it. Both him and Comer should have been off by 60. As someone else said, if Comers job was to stay in FF then get the ball to him, stop playing so slowly laterally all the time. The few times we pressed and turned it over we ended up scoring or creating something. Sickening loss again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Always felt the only way we were going to win today was if Walsh and Comer performed, unfortunately not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's tough, they had enough to win today but the panic after the goal trying to get a score was so unnecessary & Shane Walsh will wear this final for a while with the misses, credit to him for stepping up and being brave enough to take ownership of the frees from distance, but you have to do better than 0/3 when you do that.

I'd like to think they come back from this, but I don't know if I can see us in a final again in the short term. Today was the chance. Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Galway really should have won with all the possession they had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

In fairness to walsh, he offered one free to the keeper and he didn't want it, despite walsh missing some already. What was he supposed to do? At the end of the day, fellas can have a bad game. He was brave enough to take it on when others weren't.

To my mind, the galway sideline lost them the game. Armagh took off turbitt and replaced him with another forward. Galway brought on heaney in corner forward and stuck kelly back in corner back. They also left on the guys who weren't playing well for too long.

Similar Armagh - Galway group match in the possession sense. But Galway’s game management was way better that day controlled it, and were caught cold.

But this time Galway did a “Mayo” and kicked it away. The control was there but the scores were missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Stewball

Spot on. The Comer & Tierney double sub should have happened far earlier.

The Finnerty injury was crucial and bringing Heaney on that stage was the wrong call. I can see why PJ did it, he went for experience when perhaps a gamble on Tomo was the way to go.

Advertisement