Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is how I feel about it, Ala the Simpsons,

Outer me: They changed the MCU! It’s better than ever.

Inner me: Wait! Don't be fooled. It’s just the regular failing Forumla since Endgame with a stupid, cash grab casting for DOOM. It still embodies all the awful stereotypes it did before.

Outer me: But RDJ got a new mask. I want it. I want it. I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was sure I read somewhere Dan Stevens was going to play Doom

RDJ is an inspired choice and likely will get what ever pay and producing credit he commands, I assume he will make an appearance in Fantastic 4

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's the bit I'm wondering about. I assume he won't be the big bad of fantastic four but surely that movie is going to bring them abd doom into the main time line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The point is, it's a completely uninspired choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Big Bad of fantastic 4 is below, but he might make a cameo, then he's the big bad of Doomsday and Secret Wars

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/1ee191r/first_look_at_galactus/#lightbox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So nobody notices that he looks exactly like Tony Stark? Mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Money on some version of Tony Stark showing up to help save the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Bar Guardians and D&W the MCU has been in total free fall. So it's zero surprise they've got RDJ back.

With Captain America looking like it's gonna be a **** show I expect a big bag of Marvel cash to be pelted at Chris Evans. Possibly bring him in as Nomad for a while to not totally rub Mackies face in it. Even at this stage I wouldn't be that interested in Bucky taking the shield.

They tried without the headliners but for various reasons it's in free fall. I expect to see the OG 4 Avengers put back together they see it as their only way to bring back the casual viewers and I think RDJ and Evans faves on posters will do that.

My only issue is will they correct the stupid writhing and cut back on all the shite TV shows and nonsense filler movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Is Kang Dynasty basically gone now? Esposito as a Kang variant and taking over from Majors would be have a shrewd move.

I'm glad see RDJ back but I'd have rathered let Kang play out first. But again, they are panicking and want to slap a big patch on the sinking ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kang is gone. The next Avengers film was supposed to be Avengers: Kang Dynasty, and then Avengers: Secret Wars. Now it's Avengers: Doomsday and then Avengers: Secret Wars.

Esposito is playing an entirely different character unrelated to Kang, and Loki Season 2 effectively gave a throwaway few lines which could explain the end to the Kang storyline if needed (which I guess is what they're going with).

The Kang is dead; Long live the Doom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Memory Hole treatment of Kang is certainly gonna do nothing for Quantumania's enduring reputation; if anything it'll only make the film even more redundant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Evans won't come back. Cap was a much more physically demanding role than Iron Man. RDJ can become another character as his physicality wasn't really a part of the Iron Man character. He can bring the same qualities to Doom whereas Evans would have to spend his life in the gym to get another part.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chris Evans' post MCU career has been really weird. In fact bar a couple of outliers like Knives Out or Defending Jacob (an Apple show I had to google 'cos I bet nobody has heard of it), he has been starring in … well, trash. His career seems weirdly stalled and going nowhere, compared with RDJ who has mixed producing with some interesting work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah. He has no equivalent of Oppenheimer. I don't think this is it though. It's more that his character had such a fitting end and there aren't a lot of other suitable choices. RDJ will be behind a mask most of the time and his voice will almost certainly be altered.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

His pre MCU career was pretty much the same as his post MCU career to be fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Evans is in Celine Song’s upcoming film, which is certainly a step up in prestige from the instantly forgotten streaming junk he’s been in. Also in Ethan Coen’s Honey Don’t, though Drive-Away Dolls doesn’t bode super well for that one.

We’ll see how they turn out, but they’re at least interesting choices for an actor who on a financial level most likely never has to work again. Will always give some credit to these megastars who fit in smaller or auteur projects, even if their bets don’t pay off. Having even a few decent, interesting choices is preferable to none - I’d argue Ryan Reynolds, for example, hasn’t taken an interesting role in ten years (since Mississippi Grind, maybe). Ditto Dwayne Johnson until his recent decision to team up with a Safdie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Was going to say the same thing - sure, he did a few decent things like Sunshine, Scott Pilgrim and Snowpiercer. But they're outliers in his filmography. I imagine that MCU money means he can to some extent do what he wants, but he's never indicated much of a nose for sniffing out interesting or challenging roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Blade is still penciled in for a release next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Also, Evans is 43, RDJ is 59, Evans is the age now that RDJ was when he first played Iron Man so they are different stages of their career. I'd say Evans is quiet happy doing his indy films.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't be shocked to see Evans back in Secret Wars; either as a variant or they pull the OG Cap from the alt universe he spent his years in with Peggy. Probably doesn't need to pack on too much muscle as he could just be suited up for most of it.

F*ck it, bring back Natasha too. Bring back everyone. Superimpose Jeremy Renner's head on a stuntman for the entire thing so he doesn't have to risk injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd like to see Captain Carter make an appearance in Secret Wars - her What If character I guess.

Oh yeah the character has nowhere to go. But at this stage it's clear Marvel are happy enough to translate its tendancy in the comics to resurrect everyone & anyone, so I'd say never say never. Not least because there's Captain America Hydra sitting around waiting to be used, a multiverse evil Captain America and fat pay-cheque for Evans.

What odds the mood music changing cos of ...

Snipes' appearance in Deadpool 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That needs to just be killed off. Stop tryna ice-skate up hill its DOA.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't want to use a pen to be safe. Just a really light pencil. Like 2H or lighter.

On a lighter note, god bless Harrison Ford and his longstanding No F*cks Given approach to marketing films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I would have preferred a longer build up to Victor Von Doom - start referencing the country and its problematic leader, that sort of thing but I understand with Secret Wars you need him there ready to go.

Will RDJ\Doom's role in MCU then only cover Doomsday and Secret Wars (end perhaps a post credit here\there) similar to Thanos? For such a big baddie, you'd think they would try to keep him around for a while as there are endless storylines they could go with. Having said thhat, I know it worked for Thanos when they did pretty much the exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would assume he would show up for Fantastic 4 somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mid credit cameo like Thanos did for his first appearance. Hell if they wanted to save money they could have a body double wearing the doom mask and not even show RDJ.

Advertisement