Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Last Supper" depiction at Olympics Opening Ceremony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't know lads, I think the French made a balls of it. I mean London 2012 was quintessentially British, this felt more like something you'd expect from San Fransisco….without all the homeless, excrement on the streets, crime etc…

I can see why Irish "progressive" mammies loved it tho, it had loads of drag, and there's nothing those mammies like better than to bring their infant kids to drag shows…but outside of that I don't know who will have gotten much from it!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You wouldn't depict Mohammed full stop as it is an iconoclastic religion, something Christianity has veered towards plenty of times in its history. That so much artwork depicting Christian orthodoxy has entered into the public domain and has such a high level of knowledge should be viewed as a win really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It was unnecessary, why the need to poke fun at the last supper during an opening ceremony of an international sporting event.

And why push the trans agenda aswell. I seen more men dressed as women than actual women performing in the spectacle.

Imo it was self indulgent rubbish by the ceremony director Thomas Jolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Its really amazing to me how so many people who are not offended at all by the non existent mocking of Christianity, have used the non event to put the boot into Islam!

truly amazing the amount of space that religion takes up in their brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

it had loads of drag

It had about five minutes of drag, in a four hour show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

HR managers all round the country will be delighted to hear that they don't have to worry about doing the tricky work of culture change. All they have to do is fly the Pride flag, maybe buy a few pizzas for staff and the job is oxo.

What you describe is the worst kind of pinkwashing, trite, superficial, meaningless, or actually damaging. Flying the flag doesn't remove barriers to recruiting and retaining staff. Slow, hard, painful work to change the culture of the organisation removes barriers.

A trans woman in the early stages of transition in one of Ireland's largest multi nationals, one that boasts about their commitment to their LGBTQI staff going back more than thirty years, was telling me about getting grief from male colleagues when she continues to use the male bathroom. That's the kind of culture change that doesn't get fixed by flying a flag.

And of course, there's more to DEI than LGBTQI. What about employees with disabilities? What about older employees and younger people? What about employees of other races and religions?

We have a long, long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's certainly enjoyably easy to deride folks who cry about potentially being made fun of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Hahahaha 😂 😂 😂 😂

Let me adjust my "look through your screen" goggles to ascertain you are a woman.

Get a grip. How the hell do you think I know you're a woman?

I can tell you're great craic if you take that much offence over a drag act 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,843 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was unnecessary, why the need to poke fun at the last supper during an opening ceremony of an international sporting event.

They didn't.

Did you read the thread at all?

And why push the trans agenda aswell. I seen more men dressed as women than actual women performing in the spectacle

Wow… almost like ancient Greek theater did a lot of???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_of_women_in_Athenian_tragedy

Come on people. Let's try and apply our thinking caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement

But they weren't mocking beliefs, nothing to apologise for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

It didn't bother you and had nothing to do with Muslim faith so you just had to come on this thread to tell us all just how bad you think the Muslim faith is.

That seems to me like you have a strange fixation on the Muslim faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Are you in the habit of telling black people that they are simply wrong to see something as racist if you yourself don’t already see it as such?

Can’t say I’m in the habit of it as I’ve never found myself in those particular circumstances. It’s far more common that I find myself in circumstances where a person claims that something is offensive to their religious beliefs. I was accused of being rude earlier to someone when I had no intention of being rude, and similarly when someone claims something which is not intended to be offensive to their religious beliefs, is offensive to their religious beliefs, I’d simply tell them to fcuk off.

Obviously I’m not going to be rude to you, I’d simply point out there is no legitimate basis for your claim. Anyone doing drag isn’t doing it to mock or insult women. That some women interpret it that way is an entirely separate matter. Daft ideas like that get legs when they go unchallenged with the expectation that people should simply agree and stop what they’re doing. That’s why I was surprised by the French Olympic organising committee issuing an apology for what some people are claiming is blasphemy. The French normally wouldn’t give a fcuk, yet the Church has managed to roll back 200 years of French indifference to religion by having the Olympics committee capitulate to their nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭brickster69

Even the Iranians are outraged now. Some accomplishment from the woke brigade to unite everyone from the communists to the Mullah's and everyone in between at being offended. Kim Jong Un will be having his say next.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Lets face it, the imagery was to most people based on Da Vinci's the last supper.

Dionysus in comapritive mythology is seen to occupy a similar space to Jesus, in fact along with a raft of other such figures in religions throughout history the Jesus figure or Dionysus, Mithras, Sol invictus etc are all felt to represent the sun and the twelve followers represent the signs of the zodiac.

So Christians may feel aggrieved and other may feel vindicated when the organisers state it was all based on Dionysus, in reality it's all the same made up mumbo jumbo that anyone can feel free to be upset about because the iconography is some bloody similar to begin with.

As for the boot being put into other faiths that's not true at all, people just highlighted how such things wouldn't be tolerated by those faiths and haven't been in the past often quite recently and occasionally reaching the most shocking conclusions possible.

If the organisers are going with it was a depiction of Dionysus rather than Jesus then people should get over the whole thing. It's done now, end of story but they didn't think it through properly by a long shot, the whole thing was Ham fisted at best but the similarities between the story of Jesus and other similar deities does whiff a little as so much of the iconography can be interchanged to begin with.

Post edited by nullzero on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭AyeGer

They have apologised for the depiction of the last supper.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

But they were and it's a long stretch to say they were not. I'm not religious in any way but I'm sick of seeing drag queens, degenerates and the extremes of pride shoved in our faces daily. It's not even revulsion at this stage, just complete boredom at the same predictable **** we've seen a hundred times over.

We get it, you guys are so special and brave and more special than anyone who was special before you. Doesn't make for any sort of entertainment befitting an Olympic games opening..sorry not sorry.

Where did they mock religion? On the image everyone got wrong? Why do you not want these performers to have space to perform?

Your post just smacks of phobias of different kinds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

so now the Muslims are also insulted isn’t it ok?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Ya but I don't get the connection with sport or French culture…but what do I know!! Call me old fashioned but I always thought Drag acts were for children's libraries where progressive mammies can bring their infant children to!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

No phobias, pure apathy towards the "look at me" crew and their presence in the opening of the actual Olympic games. It had nothing to do with the Olympics, it might as well have been Eurovision part 2. Contrast that shitshow with the spectacle Beijing produced and it's not even worth laughing at.

Drag acts are just entertainers, they have been around for centuries. I saw plenty in my childhood in the 70s & 80s. Don't know what's progressive about them?

Ya I agree….they are kids entertainers, they perform in front of infants…I agree…don't know what they have to do with the Olympics tho!! Did you see them in children's libraries in the 70s and 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Like it or not, a lot of people don’t think that self-mutilation and drug taking can alter your status as a man or woman. Everyone is free to do what they want so long as it is within the confines of the law but don’t force others to go along with the delusion is where many, many people draw the line.

And the point still stands that the perpetual victim mentality is tiresome in the West when every major company, politicians, the media etc are flying the rainbow flag. In fact, we have seen women afraid to speak out against men using women’s bathrooms and instead of engaging in a debate on the topic, these women are shot down and insulted. This is another sign that the apparently prejudiced group are in fact extremely powerful and protected in the West.

No. They are entertainers. They perform everywhere. What's difficult about this?

What does Lady GaGa have to do with the Olympics? What does James Bond have to do with the Olympics?

Its a show. An entertainment show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Did he say it was NOT a parody of the Last Supper?

The so-called Greek reference is far more obscure than the Da Vinci one. So obscure that it’s probably the artistic directors trying to play up all other possible references pretty much in hindsight, so as to minimise what was originally the principal one.

The explanation given included the claim that in France (we) have the right not to be believers, OWTTE - which confirms that it absolutely was about the Last Supper.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And the point still stands that the perpetual victim mentality is tiresome

You are aware of the thread you are posting in yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It really is absolutely pathetic the uproar over this, a few clowns leppin around in an opening ceremony and everyone's going on about Muslims.

Would they be able to make father ted nowadays or would the Twitter right wing mob be outraged they wouldn't make a show like that about imans or Muslims or whatever?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I wasn't exposed to drag queens by my mother when I was an infant and I didn't come across them until the progressive mammies on my social media feed started bringing their infants to them in recent times…I just thought that Drag Queens perform in front of kids…but, now you mention it, that is why probably why they have those highly sexualized names, like Ivanna Fist, Panti Bliss etc…ok, you learn something new everyday!!!

Advertisement