Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I actually see both sides of this. I have (for a very long time) actively supported 2-way paths, but plenty of people (cyclists) who I've worked with have argued that the 1-way-per-side is the only option for routes with a lot of junctions, and we've gone through a lot of worked examples together now.

What it comes down to for me, is whether it's an end-to-end cycleway over a larger distance (make it 2-way if it's over a hundred metres) or a city centre street (make it per-side if there's a junction every few metres. It's a very delicate balancing act.

I'll still always prefer the 2-way, because most of my journeys are 5km or so at minimum. But now I can see why that's not always possible.

It sounds like "Clontarf to City Centre" is a whole dedicated corridor, so 2-way would generally be the preference for me then. But the junction design is much more difficult then, obviously.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, that is totally fair.

We are mostly talking about the core BusConnects routes into the city and orbital routes around the city. Definitely not short city center streets.

Of course some people will use the BC routes to cycle short distance, but the majority will be cycling long distance commuting into town. Swords to City Center or Howth to City Center.

This CC2C route is just a part of a much longer Howth to City route which is mostly two way on the old parts and will be extended further North in future. Even new sections on Alfie Byrne Road and East Wall are being built two way, so I don't understand why they suddenly swapped to one way for this new CC2C section! It is going to cause problems people switching between the two way section and the one way section, it is just bad design.

I'm not fundamentally against one way routes, for instance the Malahide Road BC route, other then the stupid detour between Griffith Avenue and Clontarf Road, it is mostly fine, at 2m wide the entire route.

But then I look at the Swords Road BC route, just 1.5m wide on Lower Drumcondra Road, what is likely to be one of the busiest routes in the city is just mad IMO!

Looking at the BusConnects plans, it is very clear to me what is happening. They are bolting on cycle lanes in the cheapest and easiest way possible that minimises any impact to the existing road layout!

It is basically just the slightest evolution on the old painting a line on the road.

Where their is plenty of extra road space, they give you 2m, but where that gets harder, like Lower Drummcondra Road, then squeeze it down to just 1.5m. Or worse send you off on a stupid detour like on Brian Road.

Like much of the 2m section are on the outskirts of the city, which would be the quieter part of the city, while closer to the city just 1.5m, despite that section being MUCH busier. It doesn't make sense from a design perspective, other then not wanting to take space from onstreet parking, etc.

I'd really suggest reading the article about the London cycle lanes I posted a few posts up. Basically in London they did the same back in 2010, just bolting on narrow cycle lanes, they are now digging all these up and building high quality two way lanes instead, because demand is so high.

I fear we will spend the next 10 years building BC routes that aren't much better then painted lines and we will open them, realise they are massively over capacity and be back digging them up and doing them properly the next time around.

I feel the theory doesn't match reality of what is happening on the ground.

For me the rule of thumb is simple, one way cycle lanes need to be a minimum of 2m, if you can't fit that, then a 3m to 3.5m two way lane is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep I think if you actually get to interact directly with the Bus Connects team, you'll find they're quite good at taking on this kind of feedback. Certainly in Cork anyway, the problems I've found are that the original designs were done by a plethora of individual companies whose attitudes to cycle infrastructure vary wildly. We're getting this "minimalist" approach on some corridors, then some really high quality stuff on other corridors.

I'd actually much rather the "Amsterdam" approach of picking a primary route into the city that will prioritise either bikes OR motor vehicles, and from what I've seen of Bus Connects, that has been the biggest failing: trying to get a bus corridor and cycle corridor into one street/route. Basically what I'm arguing for us full removal of motor primacy on some routes/streets like the Dutch do. A hard sell in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I'm fairly sure it will have to have "proper signage" attached to a pole, also a time plate and an "SI" for it to be a Bus Lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

He actually owns the space. Same on the other side of the bridge. Not sure how he managed to do it.

• Advertisement

It’s a new arrangement. Cars will have to continue and then take the next right turn, 150m further up. Cars exiting the car park will have to turn left, then take a right, just after the bridge.

Yeah, that’s the reason people are using who continue to drive into town via north strand, rather than take the diversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

People ignoring it already when entering and exiting the car park.

I seen the gap after the bridge but I think that's to facilitate the Charlemont Lane, are U-turns allowed there?

Just to add, to get from A to B took 4 minutes this morning
    Light sequence is rubbish

I spoke with one the engineers a couple of months back, who explained it to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Plenty of evidence in this project that the designers have no idea how people use infrastructure in a daily basis, and this is a prime example of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

And it's the correct reason. There's no correct signage with a time plate after the Alfie Byrne junction (inbound). So it's not legally a bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

They removed the filter lane and the island which has made things significantly slower for pedestrians and vehicles

There were more pedestrians waiting to cross the road there today than cyclists. (Lots of people walking to Clontarf Road Station). The design is very much cycle-centric

I always walk on the opposite side when heading to the dart station. Then jay walk across when there’s no traffic coming either direction. Much faster.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Unfortunately most of the BusConnects Dublin routes have already gone to ABP and some even been given planning permission. So I don't think there will be any changes now.

Also they were already basically ignoring the guidelines in the National Cycling Design Manual, so I don't think they were suddenly going to change that just because the public pointed it out. Which cycling groups absolutely did.

In fairness to the engineers, they are likely working within the constraints handed them by their managers. If management tells them they can't remove onstreet parking or right turn lanes or central medians, then they can only work with the space available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Some of the bus connects corridors should have been returned to the drawing board by abp immediately. There are significant stretches where the solution to implementing bus priority is to shave down the footpath to such an extent that what we'll end up with is effectively a wheelchair and a pram ban. It'll be able bodied and young only in Ballsbridge and Phibsboro, all to support continued car dominance. Funny the motor industry didn't say a word I'm support of wheelchair users in those instances, their favourite human shields got a break for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The new cycle lane from east point to end of Alfie Byrne Road is completely covered in nordy coaches today. Other side of the roads footpath completely covered too. This is why we need bollards absolutely everywhere in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hate that, it's not just the temporary annoyance at the time they're actually parked there, it's that the buses very quickly make **** of the cycle lane surface until it's pretty much unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We don’t need crappy bollards, we need enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We need the Gardaí to stop giving terrible instructions so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I forgot you and your friends in high places know everything about these projects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If parking a bus is a project, its news to me.

I know because I attended the Hurling final a week ago and met up with a relative who had walked from the mandated bus parking, as directed by AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Disco24

That's most short sighted thing ever . There's an inbound bus lane the full length of Clontarf Road that would take 100 buses and still leave lane free for cars/ buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It's really an isse for DCC and the GAA, it's not up to AGS to provide bus parking spaces.

I walked Alfie Byrne Road last night, after most of the buses were gone (some still parked on and blocking the footpath on the other side of the road!) and the new bike lane was absolutely covered in broken glass bottles, rubbish and cans!

Did you get pictures?
    It would be worth sending to local councillors to raise the concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Years ago I remember seeing a picture of a cyclist who very unluckily "fell" right in front of one of these buses, and the poor man just couldn't be moved for safety reasons. The bus was severely delayed in departing.

That's the only way a message will be sent here. Surround the buses with bikes and lock them together preventing anyone from departing for a few hours, they won't park there again.

Hate to detail the thread, but shouldn’t these busses be sent to the likes of Navan Road Parkway, and people travel by train from there to Drumcondra?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Possibly but the NTA do have coach parking facilities nearby which backs onto the Docklands train station…

Advertisement