Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭PressRun

Walsh's performance was bizarre. Once he missed the first one, it's like he went into meltdown and just kept trying to "fix" it instead of just taking a breath and doing the simple things right. There was a five or ten minute period in the second half when the whole Galway attack was completely malfunctioning and basically panicking. They're so over-coached to within an inch of their lives that they don't seem to know what to do if the game turns against them or something doesn't align with "the plan".

Comer was worse than Walsh. At least Walsh tried to make something happen even if it didn't work. Comer went missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Westernview

Galway will have big regrets. Nerves seemed to set in and that's when you need your main men to step up. McDaid tried to lift it but couldnt do it on his own. Conroys legs were probably gone after a great first half.

All irelands are so hard to win and there's no room for passengers as we well know in Mayo. In contrast Armagh whipped off Turbitt early.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Predicting Dessie to call it a day with Dublin.

Jack to do likewise in Kerry.

Tyrone may seek change, while McGeeney may bow out at the top with Armagh.

Joyce will give it another season, but will think long and hard about it. (on his terms)

while Kevin Mc will be granted a stay of execution with ourselves, because our county board lacks killer instinct & a winning mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

In fairness, McGeeney proves that if you leave a man there long enough, regardless of results, he might just get over the line eventually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Maher was MOTM IMO.

Is the Kerry final the only good match Walsh has had in Croke Park?

County match obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Joyce has been quite a lucky manager for my money. Things have fallen his way at times. They have a strong group of players and that has happened to come along when mayo, kerry and dublin were on the wane. Mayo and roscommon seem to be always on the opposite side of the draw to them in connacht, while it is hard not to mention the conor Loftus free in that was awarded for them this year that completly changed the rest of their season. Mcgeeney has earned his corn far more I feel and he deserved it more.

On the game today. Well one thing that comes to mind - if it was ourselves that had our two 'marquee forwards' either not feature at all, or have a nightmare on all dead balls... If it was ourselves who all (bar maher) went into panic mode when they actually had the momentum coming down the straight and the opposition were stuttering, and if it was ourselves who refused to kick long when the game was there to be won despite winning the aerial duel on opposition kickouts, I think there would be some amount of abuse incoming.

I dislike the bottlers stuff that has been aimed at us down the years. But if we had been guilty of all that, we would probably deserve the tag this time. It was a soft all ireland against a division 2 team. Hard luck to them, but they fairly blew it.

I'd agree that Dessie and Jack will probably go. Geezer will probably stay. He's addicted to it and the pressure is off now.

Whatever about our management Mayo need an injection of young hungry footballers with the older heads put on the bench. It all looks a bit stale now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Comer Walsh and Kelly were all not match fit and it showed.

Did Joyce blame the ref as per usual when loses.

I hope the press slaughter comer Walsh and Co for not showing up like they did with our lads.

66% possession in the first half and got 6 scores.

I feel for walsh I have to say. This will probably haunt the lad forever.

I think teams have just figured Comer out - double team him and he can't bully his opponent. Once he cant do that he doesnt really have much else in his locker that is of an elite level. If only mayo would figure it out! If we had done the same I think we would have beaten galway this year.

No harm for Joyce, he is too full of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭gigantic09

They needed walsh,comer and Kelly to bring their A game,it didn't happen (for obvious reasons in Kelly's case). Conroy deserves an an Ireland but probably not to be .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No chance Geezer is stepping away without an Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The funny thing with some successful managers like Dessie and O'Connor is they never want to leave on a low unless they've had a run of several years without winning. I can see them doing another year.

I thought Kevin McStay was unlucky this year. Should have beaten Dublin, and no way Derry should have remained in the competition after 3 losses, but Mayo still should have had enough. He deserves one more year.

Regards Joyce, there's a chance he could be Galways version of Horan. Brilliant manager up to AI final day, then tactically weak on the biggest day of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

blah blah something about ads.

Blah blah terrible player didn’t score in an all Ireland

Blah blah meltdown on frees

Blah blah scoring forwards

Blah blah blah blah

there’s an awful amount of bollox spoken in GAA circles usually by former players, most of whom were passengers on better teams, to be kind to their talents. More usually it comes from internet posters who’ve never kicked a ball, but because their own team has had some success (in some cases due to an excess of funding) they feel the need to be deliberately unkind.

The better team won today, that’s what usually happens in sport. Hard luck Galway, well done Armagh, Armagh deserved their victory.

McStay deserves another year for sure. The dispiriting slow build up play will have to change though and that may mean changes to the backroom.

Agree on Joyce. Far too loyal to certain players today. That has cost Mayo and Galway in finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think mayo would have won that game today.

What do you base that on ? Seemed that Galway lost today in a similar manner to us in 2021. Lack of belief and panicky play in both cases.

Tyrone were much the better team in 21 and the result was never in doubt when Mc Shane got the goal. That game was there for galway today.

I don't believe Tyrone were any better. They did very little before that win and have barely raised a gallop since.

The way we panicked in 21 including RODs penalty miss and Tommy fluffing a clear cut goal chance was similar to the desperate attempts at goal by Galway today near the end.

Unless Mayo have suddenly developed final day resolve and composure I don't see how we'd have won today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭HBC08

Galway played a tame Dublin in a qf,not semi.

They looked over awed (unusually for a team that were in a final 2 years ago)

They shite the togs really and that was an easy all ireland .

I hope Joyce stays on,Mayo will beat that team 6 out of 10 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The funny thing is while the blame game will hit Joyce/Horan around finals, they brought their teams to finals and their teams actually played really entertaining football. The stuff now with Mayo under McStay is dire stuff and players who looked half decent have falling off. Galway look like us in 21 so it could be that they will make the gradual decline over the next few years with older players waiting on just like us, but it will be interesting to see what Joyce will do. I think O'Neill really changed Galway when he came in with Joyce.

Anway be under no illusion, Mayo got what they deservered this year and we have been playing well below the average team who are looking to win SAM. We would have got opened in CP imo and not getting there actually saved McStay. I think if McStay got the job the first time he would have had a younger AOS/COC and things might have been different but too late when he came in.

I would say McStay got lucky Mayo did not make the 1/4 and is also lucky to wait on as Manager but we don't have a line of potential candidates to take it on. McStay has no hiding place for next year so the pressure to deliver is huge to find players and show some progression.

Harsh on horan considering what that dublin team went on to become, while 2014 was a disgrace and I believe had it happened against a kerry or a dublin we would have heard a lot more about it since. Our CB have to keep the head down because they are hamstrung with debts.

The loss to tyrone was a sickener, but we had a new team of young lads by then who were playing in division 2 all year. While this helped their confidence, they hadnt faced an elite team set up defensively up to that point. Galway on the other hand were an experienced team at the top of their powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 howdo1992

Horan ball was fantastic to watch, some the best memories as a mayo man. I think he is under appreciated in Mayo for what he done. If the new rules come in and favour attacking football I’d gladly have him back in the hot seat over McStay.

Don’t agree with you that Joyce plays an entertaining brand. Galway are awful to watch and usually play a very slow methodical build up. It was effective though and nearly got them the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Doesnt matter, its been a long held fact that Mayo and its players are there to be mocked almost as if they were highly paid professionals. Others can do the same, or worse, as was the case yesterday, and the media dont even seem to notice.

Galway **** the bed in Croke park and its "nothing to see here, arent they lovely footballers". thats twice in three years so its not a flash in the pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭muddle84

Just on your point of us having a young inexperienced team in 2021 for that final, this was the team that started that final:

Robbie Hennelly

O'Hora

Keegan

Plunkett

Durcan

Coen

Mullin

Ruane

Loftus

Doc

AOS

Walsh

K. McLoughlin

Conroy

ROD

Subs:

Bryne, Hession, Harrison, Boyle, Brickenden, Flynn, O'Shea, Durcan, Coen, Orme, Carr.

I don't see an argument there to say that team was less experienced than the Galway team that played at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Based on what exactly? Our record in finals or ability to break down ultra defensive teams ?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Unfortunately, until we actually win another one, I'd be afraid of a team of u-12s taking us in an AIF. 2 own goals, Donie V getting himself sentoff, Dublin ball picked off the ground and not seen in the last seconds, Tyrone final (although I believe they were the better team on the day with better tactics) etc etc.

In 2021, how experienced was O'Hora, or Plunkett, or Mullin, or Ruane, or Walsh, or Loftus, or Conroy, or ROD at senior intercounty football? How long had they been established intercounty starters? How many elite defensive teams had they faced? How many AI finals had they played in? For those who had - how old were they and wasnt that the covid final, with no supporters? Same goes for the majority of guys on the bench, and plenty more not in the 26. Aidan O'Shea on the oisin mcconville podcast indicated how mayo probably got a bit carried away after the Dublin win that year and how he spoke to horan afterwards about regretting not trying to reign things in a bit, with horan saying that he felt the same way - they were clearly a young and inexperienced team and that was obvious in how they played that game.

Looking back on the vaughan one - can anyone say for sure that john small was getting sent off before vaughan botched his 'Im making sure he gets a red' tactic? My gut instinct tells me he stays on the pitch because the refs were afraid of giving big calls against dublin in those days. I think he gets a stern talking to and jim gavin gets to sub him off. Think 2 dubs running into each other - free in. Think bastick with the most obvious pick off the ground in the final seconds of the drawn game that you will ever see, with a linesman standing with the perfect view of it. I think he stays on.

When vaughan connected high, it gave him the easy option - 2 reds.

• Advertisement

The 2021 Mayo team had vastly more experience of AI finals than the Tyrone team that beat them or the the Armagh team that won yesterday so l think we can knock the inexperience notion on the head. Inexperience didnt stop us knocking out a vastly more experienced Dublin team in the semi final. It has been more mentality issues than experience that has cost us finals.

Advertisement