Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

He said absolutely nothing like that! He was very honest in saying the team just didn’t perform; and in the second half made more errors than probably all of the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Westernview

Ya I saw that interview so I was wondering if there was another one I missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Comer and Walsh were left on based on previous reputation alone which is always a mistake. Walsh was clearly not able to hit the ball with any power or accuracy from the start due to injury. Gleeson or Conroy would have been better options for the frees.

Galway now play a type of running/hand passing game where someone like Comer may as well not be on the field.

Its unfortunate for Galway as on balance they were probably the team of the year and this group will never have a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭C__MC

Still can't belive how shocking Galway were today. Armagh were awful in second half and Galway played dull boring football and completely bottled the game. Gleeson brakes the last kick out, and Galway have a 3 v 2 and somehow Mc daid loses the ball. Shocking stuff. Conroy at the end has to square that ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Ah yes... It takes a special type of fan to start harping on about other teams bottling finals, on the eve of their own side bottling one of the softest finals in living memory.

Maybe you are right, we might know a thing or two about bottling finals, but do you know what - so do you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You are the one who came one here not 3 hours after we lost knowing well people would still be disappointed going on about bottling and how it made you smile so don't come on here playing the innocent.

You knew well what you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,457 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I think I'll watch The Sunday Game. I hope they do a deep analysis, it is not going to be pretty from a Galway perspective. They blew it, not just by not getting to extra-time, but they could have easily won it, had they the conviction towards the end. Look, they're not my county, but it's the stuff of nightmare fuel. Some of those players will never want to see replays of what was the best opportunity they'll ever get of winning an All-Ireland slip through their fingers. The faffing about they did in added time when they needed a point to equalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,808 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I had not seen that done before, with the wife prominent during a Sam lift. Orange glasses and all. Will be a great in future for the young child to see when they are older.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

There were no goal opportunities in the game at all, bar the Armagh goal, and that came from a mis-cued attempt at a fisted point.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Whether he intended it or not, he brilliantly got in behind and created a goal chance. Bit presumptuous to say he was going for a point. He may well have looked at the posts but noticed the forward coming racing in. Split second decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Armagh only got 2 points from the 47th min goal and still won, sums up the game really. Both Comer and Clifford in the semi hardly touched the ball, maybe it's not possible to do much playing in that position v Armagh.

Looking at it now, after Armagh got the goal, they didn't get another score for 14 or 15 minutes. And that started from a Shane Walsh mark attempt that dropped into the Armagh keeper's hands.

I hate that expression "fully deserved", it was used by Jacqui I think. Was it though, was the Armagh win fully deserved?

I don't think it was, but they won't care, it's theirs, and it can never be taken from them.

Nah, this isn't a proper analysis, not so far at least. Maybe they don't want to stick the oar in and single out individuals as it's too raw at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

I don't think any of these teams be around next year but delighted for McGeeney and Armagh. He got his chance and delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Some reason? Hmmm... I wonder what it was?

Heaven forbid we give credit to the better team over the 90min they played that day.

One of the panelists said Walsh and Comer had a bad day because they were engulfed by the Armagh defense. Pfft! I think I can recall Walsh kicking 2 wides and dropping 2 short from dead balls, at least, that has nothing to do with Armagh. Shane Walsh has trended the most on X/Twitter, more than anyone, he had a MARE! It's not nice for him.

Bingo!

Armagh were winning that the second it went to extra time. Kerry were absolutely knackered from 55 onwards completely lacking in conditioning.

• Advertisement

Aye, seeing the pictures throughout out the thread has brought the memories back.

I don't buy this. Kerry had a chance to win it in normal time and draw it in extra time.

See another example of nonsense from a panelist. He said that goal derailed Galway for a while. 🙄 Ya, so that's why Armagh didn't get another score for 15 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Trey13

Very poor game today. It was tight at least so there was a bit of intrigue, but generally speaking, the majority of games are so poor.

Nobody would have seen Armagh winning Sam at the start of the year, so fair play to them.

Next year’s championship will be open. I’d have Dublin as favourite as it stands (no confirmed retirements). But as many have said, it could be one of a number of teams.

Exactly, the way I view how Armagh played is like those Italian sides in the soccer, try and grind down teams wait for their opponents errors, risk free stuff.

I never thought I would see the day where a GAA team would reminded me of an Italian soccer team, but it has happened now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway did panic after the goal, they forced a number of shots that weren't on and kept the momentum with Armagh. They brought it back to one but the shot selection was bananas sometimes.

Too many single runners that turn around and go back. No option running at an angle to transfer to as the space closed in. The way we played today we may as well not have had a FF line. We'd have more joy with an additional 3 half backs, to run from deep and break the line and to track back and close the holes in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is that a break with tradition? I thought the winners meal was in a Dublin hotel

It would be 1 hour from Dublin at the most. Makes sence to support a local hotel.

Dublin will be all over the shop, scrambling to try and find young lads, basically will be an OK div 1 team sort of like Roscommon level.

Tyrone are a team I think are bubbling along nicely, that who I would have as a good chance out of the "new breed" they just need to get experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

He said all that and then went onto name one Galway player. Unless there was someone else missing frees for Galway?

https://x.com/officialgaa/status/1817621636713009387?t=5oHszu5krkTxpu-qHK6EIQ&s=19

Advertisement