Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great White Sharks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Watching a documentary that 17 GWs were killed by Orcas recently in Australia. It seems the main problem for the GWs isn't so much they're smaller, it's more they're too stupid to work together. They keep getting blindsided by one Orca distracting a them, while the other Orca then kills him from behind basically. There's actually more GWs than Orcas, so if they knew how to work together, they'd probably outnumber them.

Someone also said the GWs often get killed by Orcas when they're migrating past South Africa, which is true, but said that they're terrified of them. They GWs are wary of the Orca but not terrified, which is half the reason they get killed. The GW will retreat somewhat from them, but stay swimming around the area sussing them out, half thinking whether it could take them, well as much as a shark can "think". Which is what then leads to them being blindsided. While it's watching one Orca from a distance, it's completely oblivious to the fact the Orcas are working together, with another coming up around it.

On a recent documentary on the discovery channel, they played different dolphin noises to GW's, and when they played the Orca signal, they retreated but only to a distance where they could still see and suss out what was going on. And then a GW, that had been attacked by Orcas before, still came back and approached the area. So if they actually did run, they'd fare better, their problem seems to be they only retreat to a distance they think they're safe, watching the Orcas.

So it's not that the GWs are terrified, it's more they're too stupid to work together like the Orcas do, and keep getting isolated and blindsided by them, thinking they're at a safe distance to suss the Orcas out. The Orcas know they can outsmart them.

Still, nothing more terrifying than a GW. The black soulless eyes on them, there's nothing in their head only evil. At least an Orca has a bit of a "personality", infact most creature's do. A GW is unique in that it seems like it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, its just evil incarnate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

Cornwall and Isle of man used to be an angling hot spot for Great whites and these places are not to far from our east coast. Most of the sharks displayed in the dublin museum were caught where******Dunlaoire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Happened in South Africa too, the great whites didn't return to the area for a very long time causing problems with tourism industry etc

The orcas were killing the sharks and eating only their livers, almost surgical precision

They're worried in New Zealand, that what happened in SA and Aus, will happen to the GW population there too. I think the Orcas realised taking one GW saves them alot of work, instead of chasing Rays all day.

But as I said, it's more a case of the GW's being brain-dead as opposed to being outnumber or out fought. They never evolved to need to work together, which they need to do now.

If the GWs had the Orcas smarts they'd outnumber them hugely, like hyenas taking a lion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theyre never going to achieve that, they're much smaller and have less bite force than orcas too. They are probably billions of years of evolution away from being able to compete. Orcas are the business.

• Advertisement

If they could work together to isolate Orcas they'd hold their own as they outnumber them so much. The problem is they don't seem to have a brain in their head, other then a tunnel vision concept of kill anything that moves in front of them.

The reason they don't run, and suss the Orcas out from a distance is, they're waiting for an Orca to leave it's pod. They're that stupid, bold and brazen, to think they'd take it one on one. And while they're waiting for this opportunity that's never going to present itself, they get picked off from behind.

But again and again, they actually refuse to run, and keep circling from a distance. In the documentary, it even showed the GWs headbutting each other, to get the other one out of their way. They don't even like each other. And when they see an Orca pick off one of them, they're too stupid to understand the concept of swarming the Orcas.

They actually seem brain-dead, compared to the Orcas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

They're here for the generous portions of free fish given out by our government.

The GWs are so brazen, it takes that many to die before they'll retreat. They reckon the theory is, a GW fancies itself against an Orca one on one, but can never get the opportunity as they're always in pods.

And the GW becomes so consumed and tunnel visioned with watching one singular Orca they've picked out from a distance, and are waiting for it to leave it's pod, that it's completely oblivious to everything else happening around it, and then it's picked off.

The GWs downfall seems to be it's brain-dead, arrogant, with an ego complex in an evolutionary sense

I dunno, they travel serious distances everywhere

• Advertisement

Most of those sightings will have been other species of shark genuinely mistaken for great white and the other small percentage will be reports from head the balls.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Apparently it was a marine biologist that sighted one in North Scotland a year or two ago, not a casual observer that would get it mixed up.

I'm open to correction. But the GW is the most fascinating creature I've ever seen. It's like the devil just shat it out. Pure evil

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Ocearch will be traveling to Irish Waters in September to look for Great Whites. Before that they visit the Atlantic coasts of Spain & France. They have a theory that Great Whites leave the Mediterranean to feed on seals and tuna in the eastern atlantic. It would be amazing to find them in Irish Waters.

https://www.ocearch.org/expeditions/expedition-save-the-med/

I was at a presentation recently and although that might have been mentioned I don't remember it.

Your right in that there has been a few mix ups, with casual observers mistaking other sharks for Great Whites. The area in Scotland that you replied to the poster originally, wasn't where this sighting took place.

What really got me interested in this, was I seen a video a few days ago with an Irish lad on a padal, coming accross an Orca underneath him. The Orca left, as thats not "his prey". Now a GW will bite you before he realised thats not "his prey", and then may or may not leave you. But upon further reading, only 10% of GW encounters with humans are actually fatal. The reason being, if you "redirect it" once it gets too close to you, it's too stupid to realise what just happened, gets confused, and has to start the "sussing out" circling process again, but is coming for you. Generally though, it gives most people time to get away.

And likewise, if it does bite you, and it realises your not his standard prey, has to step back and weigh up the confusion once more. That's how basic the GW seems to be in intelligience, working generally off tunnelled vision insticnt, to its own peril against orcas. But no fcuks given.

The shark that returned after they played the Orca sonar on the discovery channel, had been attacked by orcas, but couldn't wait to come back. He got confused by what was happening with the sonar, and when he couldn't see any Orca's come once he retreated, reckoned it must of been one Orca by itself, or so they said, I'm no expert. So withing 5 minutes was back on the scene looking for it, thinking he had one isolated. That's the brass neck he had on him.

Its actually fascinating when you look into it. Even with smaller prey, an Orca will do it in pods, never alone as it's not that "confident". Then on the other hand, you'll have a GW by itself, too stupid to even understand the concept of danger, circling pods of killer whales looking to isolate one. They realise eventually obviously, and can't work together to counter their demise, but it takes alot of them to be killed before they'll retreat. An inbuilt evolutionary arrogance and ego in them.

The GW is the work of the devil, no question! I'd rather take my chances with an Orca any day, than with that dead eyed abyss of evil that we call the GW. Of note too, there's been no instances where an Orca faced a GW by itself. There's been many though where a GW, although killed, faced off and fought it's corner against multiple Orca's. I'd like to see a one v one scenario, but I don't think the Orca would go for it, too risky even if it's odds on, whereas it's the situation the GW actively tries to manufacture!

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

Well if the Orca's run them out of their natural "home", could end up anywhere in swarms

Would it be fair to say you're not a big fan of the Great White Shark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Poor things will get frost bite!

Nah I don't mind them really. Just find them fascinating. Something unnerving but interesting about their appearance and eyes, how something can be alive, but simultaneously look so dead eyed and callous. Amazing creatures really. The apex predator as they say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Great whites are amazing.

Did two cage dives off Port Lincoln Australia. None appeared the first visit but we had a 4m (I thought it was closer to 3.5m) and a smaller one on our second visit.

• Advertisement

I think even 4 meters would be small. The average 5/5.5 possibly? What's it like around them? They unnerving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

@The Golden Miller is this you?

Majestic. Just had a look at a video I had put on Facebook from the cage and it was a 4m male I'd say.

Swam around gracefully but explosive when going for the chum.

Ah no, there's my identity gone. You must of worked out on top of sharks, he's a fan of Cork hurling too haha

I can only imagine. Serious power in them. On the discovery channel, when they heard the sonar of smaller dolphins, something clicks and they attack the cages. Tunnelled vision power and intensity, that I've never seen before.

What are their eyes like that close up? Are they jarring/unnerving up close, or is that just how they look? Are they pure black, or is there more if you look closely?

What was the presentation about if you don't mind me asking? Was it related to GWs and Orcas. See I've noticed alot of rewriting of the word apex predator, with many now not calling a GW an apex predator, that the Orca is.

See this is where the term apex predator can get blurred. An apex predator generally means an apex predator has no natural predator of its own, but heavily implied that if it did have a predator, that means singular. Like hyenas beating a lion in a group, doesn't deter the lion being an apex predator or make the hyenas apex predators, as there was no singular animal that could take the lion by itself, in theory. A large Tiger might but that's a different debate.

So one of the big debates now, is is the GW an apex predator, or could we even describe the Orca as an apex predator? Orca's simply won't even engage smaller prey by themselves, let alone a GW. Which is smart, but not what the term apex predator would mean originally, but in some definitions may cover it. And although they're attacking GWs, it's still not proven that the GW has a predator that could kill it one on one, even if all odds suggest an Orca would beat a GW one on one. They simply won't confront one, one on one, whereas a GW will actively try and engage an Orca, one on one, if it was to leave it's pod.

So it's blurred and quite interesting. Despite their size advantage and being smarter, I don't think an Orca could overcome a GW one on one. If they did get hurt, they'd retreat. They're smart, but don't have that die at all costs tunnel vision of the GW. The GW simply can't get one of them isolated, but it's shown he actively looks for the confrontation, whereas the Orca avoids it at all costs.

So I think it's accurate to describe the GW as the apex predator of the sea, until an Orca has been proven to confront and kill one, one on one. It simply won't engage on those terms, a GW will eagerly confront an Orca one and one, and has even confronted several

My memory of them is more how graceful they were. Swimming round, popping over for the chum (big chunk of tuna) but not making too serious an effort to get it.

I took a couple of pictures from within the cage as well, I'll see if I can upload them tomorrow. Bear in mind, this was back in 2008 but the quality isn't too bad for the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

I swam from Alcatraz into San Francisco a couple of years ago. My kids sent me this video the night before I swam, I’d never seen it before. I swam pretty fast on the day 😁

You swam even after seeing that? What shark was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Advertisement