Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 neverbet

Agree with you. Players are the ones that matter most and they overwhelmingly support the split season. Perhaps,they might put the All Irelands back a week or two, but clubs deserve at least 5 of the 12 months. The ones most adversely affected and upset by the split are the national Gaa media (Dalo etc) , but they need to up their game on club coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

I liked the August All-Ireland finals myself. Seemed to be the ideal balance between the compressed championship we have currently and the overlong championship we used to have with the September finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Village87

The biggest day of the year In football and the standard was awful with exception of a few Armagh points. Compare that to the unbelievable quality and standard last week on hurlings biggest day. Tony Kelly putting himself up there with the gods of all sports with his individual brilliance. Chalk and cheese between the 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

They're different sports and can't be compared. I don't know why people try.

I like how this Kerry lad has transferred in and all of a sudden he's Kilkenny county standard because he's big and strong. Disclaimer: never heard of him before a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"I like how this Kerry lad has transferred in and all of a sudden he's Kilkenny county standard because he's big and strong" …..

exactly ….. 😂 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

This year's championship was 1 week shorter than the 2019 championship, the last championship where the April club month was still a thing, that 1 week less is a 2 week gap between the semi final and final rather than 3, I find this talk in the media of a compressed championship a bit disingenuous myself.

I've no idea if he's Kilkenny county standard but to be far to him he's 1 of Kerry's 2 most high profile players, the other being Shane Conway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fair point. I'd say the bigger issue is how the provincial group stage in hurling and the football round-robin group stages feel compressed compared to how the championship used to be. Now a lot of that is just the outcome of having extra matches. I'd like a slightly more spread out provincial hurling championships and definitely a shake-up to the football All-Ireland. The round robin can stay but it definitely needs to be spread out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kentu

The Only way to spread that out more is shorten the league, League is way too long for a secondary competition and most teams don't really care, I think Div 1a teams next year play 7 games atleast, contrast that to the championship where if you lose 1st 2 games unlikely to get through (Cork being the exemption of that a few times).

4 League games and a final is enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Marrooned

wasn’t that some forward thinking by cluan tech to sponsor the academy Jerseys of well over a 150 young people and still not interfere with the main KK sponsor. These jerseys and kits will be worn by kids throughout the county for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Box to box

This is nearly a bit of a rebuild now. We all agree he has being very slow to pick and stick with change so that's why I wouldn't be surprised if it was given to someone else for 3-5 year. If scruff,lawlor and tj also go it's a huge amount of experience gone from the squad and a bigger job than we might of thought. Who the next management could be is anyones guess but we can take it derek iss staying. A few fresh faces to the backroom team is definitely needed so hopefully theres lots of work going on behind the scenes. Im on the same page as Marrooned regarding the county board being backward and he raised a very valid point regarding free taking for the senior its going to be a big concern. Eoin cody might take them for a few rounds of the league for the shamrocks while tj is being rested. Hopefully a bit of forward thinking means he will spend alot of his spare time in the shamrocks pitch practicing frees like his uncle done years ago. It will be intresting to see the various management teams especially the u20. Would the county board approach henry for this one?Pace was one thing this year but the winners have a bench that make a impact and change game and we hadn't got that. As others have said the team and 3 or 4 subs were known months ago. Building and trusting a panel will be huge next year. The subs shouldn't weaken a team. I heard joey holden and ronan corcoran are home for shamrocks. They will be as hungry as ever to win again this year. Yes fionn macekssey will have to settle into kk Club hurling but I'd be surprised if he wasn't good enough to make the kk panel if he made himself available. How long is he in kk or is the plan to play for kerry next year? I have seen him play for kerry and he definitely is a good hurler.He should be a big addition anyway.Chris Nolan of carlow would have no problem making the kk team if he lived a few minutes down the road from borris. Must be plenty of money up in antrim davey and Anthony Nash strongly tipped to be heading north. Davey would have the Glen boys all fired up for the cats up there. So he will.

ye Dave’s going North I wonder will he **** up all the good work Gleeson did?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KK36

You can be solid jaysus certain of it.

He'll **** up their bank account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FarneyFan123

Lads from an outsider, who do ye fancy for the Kilkenny senior hurling championship? I’m looking to get down to at least one of your club championship games this year.

I just remember last year talking to lads and hearing all about Dicksboro who were supposedly ready to make the breakthrough. How are they moving this year? Genuine contenders?

Is this Fionán Mackessy the real deal? Does he make OLG the favourites or are Ballyhale the rightful favourites in the bookies?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dodgysub

Ballyhale Shamrocks still team to beat once the championship proper starts.

Dicksboro, OLG & Bennettsbridge will all hope for good runs and more if things went their way.

Any of the other teams first priority will be to avoid bottom 2 in their group. Clara & Erins Own might be in bother if early results go badly.

Teams are bound to pick up injuries given the schedule so a decent panel will be essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭conor05

That’s the start of the second tier jobs now for Davy.

After Antrim it will be Kerry or Laois hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

It will be interesting to see how Thomastown get on, they have been putting up big scores the last 12 months. Tullaroan were impressive 2 years ago but dissappointed last year. Graig Ballycallan had some promising youngsters last year, wonder will they progress. Mullinavat could be in the regulation battle but they are fighters. James Stephens threw in the towel against Ballyhale last year, first time I ever saw a whole team do that. I agree that Clara could be in trouble, not sure if they have anyone coming through. Hard to see outside Boro, OLG and Shamrocks. The glut of matches plays into the hands of the clubs with the deepest panels which would be Boro and OLG. The Bridge would need to avoid any injuries to have any chance. Comer don't have the forwards. Glenmore should pick up a couple of wins to see them safe but like a lot of clubs will be nervous if they lose their first match. Can't wait for throw ins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Neewollah

I'd have OLG as marginal favourites ahead of the Shamrocks this year. Followed by the Boro. They seem to have quite a few gone travelling. While the depth is there to replace them it might be a year too soon for some of them.

Next I'd have Bennettsbridge and Thomastown. Both have the potential to go deep if things fall their way.

The outsiders group I'd have Tullaroan, Ballycallan and Mullinavat. Capable of beating most on their day but might struggle to put 3/4 strong performances together

The teams I think will struggle this year are Clara, Comer, Glenmore and The Village. There is a chance Village could get close to relegation

I think Thomastown will have plenty of momentum going in to this league and will certainly have a say in the last four.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Box to box

We will have a better idea after the weekend who is missing who. I think dunnamaggin missing victor costello and Michael Cody so that's the 3 and 6 which is obviously huge. The boro are missing a few big players and although they have the biggest conveyor belt it's hard to beat experience.Some good young lads like kelleher,getting these lads game time will be important.ĺThis is why it's important moylan,clifford and shine go up another gear and and have good championships. O loughlins are everyone's slight favourites especially with the new addition but the shamrocks are in a better position this year and I think they will win it. Joey and ronan corcoran would be huge if thats true although I would like to see daragh corcoran at 3 especially if lawlor is going travelling.killian hurled well full back for the 20s and probably better on the legs.

The village will probably be forced to play the younger lads quicker than they thought. I think niall mullins is back but tadgh dwyer is gone. Conor browne doesn't look like he will be back for a while. I think Michael Ryan is helping out in tullaron. Dunne,mossy and Shane are 3 good club forwards. The bridge could be dark horses so it will be intresting to see how they go. Kevin blanch was a huge loss last year and Ciaran brennan. Ballycallan got a good bounce from their young lads last year. Vegas team is on the road a long time now and have alot of miles on the clock but on their day can be a match for anyone especially in thomastown or ballyhale. Ttown have a few injures but alot of people will be interested to see how they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 Shocks12

I feel the same about the Village saw them and they were really really poor the depth isn’t there with who has went away etc.

Hard to call senior think Ballyhale will be gunning for championship so I will go for them.

With regards to Mackessey (excuse spelling) he looked good for Kerry so it will be interesting to see how he goes. I would imagine he didn’t just come to Kilkenny to play club hurling would someone have spoke to him? Hopefully he goes well.

What Lyng needs to do is scout players that weren’t in and bring the 20-27s in and start putting his own stamp on this.

is there any local season ticket on sale or would that be too much to expect.

well then is it cash on the stiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Cillian Buckley has announced his retirement. Thanks for all the great service Cillian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Best of luck to Bucks. Relentless commitment and had a moment last year that at sportsman or woman would kill for

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jamesbond2022

What a player Buckley was remember watching him in a county minor final in 2010 maybe he absolutely ran the show was the best player on the field

Him and Padraig Walsh in full flow on the wings made up a great half back line

He had a lot of injury’s the last few years and it’s a testament to his mentality that he kept coming back for more that goal in last years Leinster final was a reward for not throwing in the towel when others might have

Similarly to r hogan he squeezed the absolute most out of kk career and we should be very grateful for his service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair play to Cillian, great servant to the black and amber at all grades and could play anywhere. Best of luck to him on his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I like how Buckley’s game changed and adapted over the years, he was a promising wing forward at one stage and settled as a very strong wing back for many years, fair play to him for his comitment

a big weekend ahead in the club, youd hear lots of talk but we will all know more by Monday

i think Tullaroan vs boro might be a lot closer than people think, it might take boro time to settle on there team with there absences from last year, Tom kenny is a huge loss he was brilliant last year

olg should have too much for clara

village ttown is too close to call, do ttown have a few injuries? will village start any of the young lads, they won the minor league monday I saw

did comer lose a couple more to australia? The noisy neighbors in mullinavat will be really targeting this, i hear they are moving well

shamrocks will have too much for gbc who I think could be missing Billy

I also think glenmore are down a few which should suit the bridge

in junior i think windgap will have a big year

Alk the best lad represented club,county. Well ,must be the last man to receive a natiional final cup 2018.

• Advertisement

Buckley some man for KK and the Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Village87

Happy retirement, can walk away with his head held high. Quality player and athlete before he got his injury set backs . Great role model to the younger players last 6/7 years

I thought Cillian was fantastic at half back in 2014 and 2015 in particular when he won All Stars. 3 AI, 5 National Hurling Leagues and 8 Leinsters. Had a tough time with injuries latterly. Kilkenny were blessed to have him.

Post edited by blackcard on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Special Junior

The vast majority of clubs in the north of the county have been struggling and not producing many county standard players. Galmoy, Johnstown, Urlingford, Freshford, Lisdowney, Ballyragget, Conahy, Cloneen, Castlecomer and Muckalee in that area. Castlecomer the only senior club, Lisdowney have had recent success. The rest are surviving in intermediate or junior clubs.

Would have thaought Tullaroon was in North Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 neverbet

First became aware of Cillian Buckley at primary schools hurling. One of the very best at that age. He continued to show his class right up to this year. The resilience and dedication to come back time and again from injury that would finish many another. He was a class act in full flow and hopefully we can see plenty more of him with the Boro.

• Advertisement

I’d say the Boro could be missing anything up to six players tonight. But I heard Tullaroan are missing a few as well, this game mightn’t go the way people think the Boro will certainly be stretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭mooz

You'd really have to admire clubs like Tullaroan and Ballyhale Shamrocks for supplying so many county hurlers over the years from a small playing base and to consistently have someone on starting teams and panel. Obviously, the city clubs have too but with huge numbers, you'd expect that. The most glaring aspect I think is that for all of Dicksboro's success and dominance at underage, they have never supplied one consistent IC forward over the years. Other notable clubs for production lines imo have been Danesfort, Carrickshock, Graigue Ballycallan, Dunnamaggin and Gowran for always having a hurler on the county team and in some cases producing real classy players. When you go down through clubs failing as per some posts recently, it should be sending alarm bells ringing in some quarters.

we “the Boro” had our day in the thirties.

disappointed with the Boro tonight had about 5 goal chances which Paul Buggy pulled off unbelievable saves. Mossy was also a hero. On the Boro side I thought Harry and Timmy were alright but made a few silly mistakes. The worst news of all was I heard all three intercounty managers are put back in place.FFS will we ever learn at least the jobs should be thrown open to competition.

Tullaroan will be delighted to have beaten the Boro by 3-16 to 1-19. Boro missed/Tullaroan saved a number of goal chances, the goal that Tullaroan conceded was an own goal. Harry Shine and Bill Sheehan were on a lot of ball but both ended up only scoring a point each from play. Dissapointed with Cillian Hackett too, Kevin Moore did well. Mossy Keoghan fought hard for Tullaroan, got 4 points and makes the most of his talents. Boro missing Tom Kenny, Andy Gaffney and Liam Moore from last year. Shane Walsh came on as a sub for Tullaroan who got only 1 free from outside their own 45 in the entire match, scoring 3-15 from play. Boro rarely lose matches in the league phase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Good game for the neutral this evening between Boro and Tullaroan. Tullaroan just deserved the win but Boro will be kicking themselves with the amount of goal chances missed.

Mossy was brilliant. John Walton some man to score points. Most of Tullaroans big players played well.

Shine was best for the Boro .Personally thought Clifford was way below his best. Sloppy on ball and with deliveries into forwards. Mossy cleaned that battle. Missing players for Boro more of an issue maybe than expected. Where was Buckley?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hogans heroes

How could the u20 management be put back .

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

UCC picked Joe Fitzpatrick at wing back this year ahead ofEoin Downey. Downey will be 2024 All Star full back whileJoe Fitz wasn't deemed good enough for our u20 panel.

In general, I wouldn’t worry too much about Fitzgibbon, the 4main teams that still take it seriously are based in Limerick, Cork and Galway,schools that have always had low number of Kilkenny students.

The Fitzgibbon’s impact as a senior breeding ground is probably over, managers are sick it and it’s made for early season seriousinjuries, especially as it is barely refed and a lot of heavy stuff is let go.I feel it has been in decline for a few years.

Watched Tullaroan v Dicksboroon on Clubber, very good game. Mossy tremendous, P Walsh excellent, Gearoid Dunne v good but shooting let him down. Cillian Walsh got two goals and might be one to watch, I was very impressed when he came on in colleges final in Croke Park,think he's only 18.

Boro lack leaders and overplay it, Shine as usual mixing good with bad. Lots of good players but not enough really good ones, same old same old. They will be at the business end but doubt they will win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jimmythesulk

He was very poor for UCC, taken off early in the second half against UL.

Fitzgibbon cup is where senior intercounty hurlers are made, it has always being that way and will continue so. Henry, JJ, Michael Kavanagh down in WIT, would never have become the hurlers they became without the fitzgibbon cup. It most certainly is not in decline and the fact that we have so few players playing at this level is just as worrying as our underage record over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭mooz

Fitzgibbon is a top class competition and traditionally is the starting point for many to kick on and become IC players. The coaching is usually excellent and there's a great bond among players playing the competition. Look at the winners the last few years, a big number of players have gone on to win All-Irelands with Clare and Limerick. The decline in the number of Kilkenny players making teams has been an issue for quite some time. If players are good enough, they'll make the Fitzgibbon team in any college or university regardless of where they are from, remember they want to win too!

Was at Tullaroan match last night. Great win for them, their goalie Paul Buggy MoM and you won't see a better display over the weekend. Huge heart and workrate won it for them, Mossy, John Walton and the Walshs very good. Dicksboro missed 4/5 guilt edged goal chances which would have been the spark they needed to kick on. Harry Shine looked very good and on another day could have scored 2-4 from play. Kevin Moore scored 4 points too. Michael Ryan from Waterford coaching Tullaroan too, a top class coach by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Fitzgibbon was a good breeding ground for intercouny hurlers for about 10-12 years from early 2000's till a few years ago.

It peaked about 10-12 years ago when the Limerick colleges in particular took it deadly serious and a lot of the best and worst of modern hurling tactics and coaching evolved there.

Before that, it wasnt a factor at all, and I believe it will return to that.

I'm not worried in the slightest about how few Kilkenny hurlers we have on UL, MICE, UCG and UCC, we have never had large numbers at these colleges.

Young Kilkenny hurlers will get far better prepartion playing top class hurling senior and intermediate club in next three months than slogging their guts out on **** pitches (or worse still artificial ones) in Jan and Feb.

A few matches including Glenmore v Bridge postponed until Tue evening. Little over 3 day turnaround until second matches for these teams

Kevin Moore actually scored 5pts from play yesterday. Boro still have a very young team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

As far as I counted it the Boro had 8 goal chances they missed or were saved. Paul Buggy shouldn't have to buy a drink this weekend in Tullaroan he was great for them after a hard start to the game. Mossy was excellent throughout and Pádraig stood up when really needed. I'm sure they'll be a small bit concerned how they were cut open so many times at the back but they showed Greta heart and fight throughout and brought great physicality that the Boro could handle but didn't replicate.

There are a good few still away or injured for the Boro and many of those playing last night were either just back from abroad or injury and it showed in what I would usually expect from them. They are a young team and everyday out will bring them on but adding in Buckley and Evan Cody to the back 6 will hopefully tighten that up. The Boro for years have gone unbeaten in the League and winning League titles, I'd prefer to see the build towards Championship rather than hitting the road running. Good displays from Rowe, K Moore, M Kelliher and Shine. The next day will be tough again with more lads missing but as long as they keep improving I'd be happy. At least they were making goal chances. The day they get them all will be a hard day for another team. The will have to up their intensity and aggression against the top teams and I felt they played too much short passing for the slippery and slick conditions last night, Tullaroan we're ruthless and punished them everytime the Boro weren't clinical.

If Tullaroan can keep up the type of performance going forward they will do well in the League this year and should push far into the championship. They will have to tighten up at the back a bit or Paul Buggy will have to be the hero everyday.

OLG comfortably ahead at half time 9 up against Clara who had the wind in the first half. Missing Paddy Deegan too, F Mackessy hasn't lit it up so far but is probably creating space for the other forwards with the need to watch him. Luke Hogan scored and created their goals.

Interesting that your going all in to play down the value of the Fitzgibbon but when people question the value of Kierans success of the last decade your the biggest defender. If see the the likes of Mark Rodgers and Geraoid O'Connor talking about it this year its valued hugely by the players involved, if anyone needs to see the standard in recent times just look up the UL team that won it in 2018.

*replying to Alonzos post we didn't show for whatever reason*

• Advertisement
Advertisement