Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Last Supper" depiction at Olympics Opening Ceremony

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The official Olympics account on Twitter referenced it as such contemporaneously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭volchitsa

LOL Dionysis is the blue guy in that tweet, not the painting.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

I just thought it was dumb, intellectually lazy and a more than a little 'try-hard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sekiro

It's pretty mind blowing to me that a person calling themselves Penny Tration or Iva Dong or something similar can dance provocatively and make suggestive remarks in front of children and there are people out there who are just like "ah it's just entertainment".

Even if one is making the argument just to be contrarian, it seems like such a crazy thing to have to pretend that you don't see why it's so wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well in the 70s & 80s drag acts were much more mainstream then now, does that mean we were more progressive 40/50 years ago?

Maybe your just part of that snowflake generation?

And you never answered the question, what does Lady GaGa or James Bond have to do with the Olympics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Little to nothing to do with the thread, but go on, when/where does this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh highly sexualised me arse, they take on stage names which are meant to be funny, because a name like Patrick Carroll needs a bit of French sophistication, so he performed as Danny LaRue -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_La_Rue

Like yeah, fair enough I could understand why most people won’t be familiar with drag queens who were around in the ‘70s and ‘80s and will wonder what it has to do with French culture, but there’s no need whatsoever to be so deliberately obtuse as to pretend it specifically has nothing to do with a sporting competition, as though the other 3 hours and 55 minutes of the show had never happened.

If you imagine that Lady Gaga or Celine Dion were anything to do with sports, you could only be taking the piss, or deliberately holding different acts to different standards. What next - “That horse on the water, what was that about? That has nothing to do with a sporting competition!” Claiming any part of the opening ceremony had nothing to do with sports or French culture is just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You're easily offended.

The amount of 'scripture shouters' from 'murica losing their rage over a reference to Greek mythology would be mind-boggling if we weren't already aware of how unhinged and uneducated so many of them are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Also not at the last supper and famously fond of a feast himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

same people spent previous week walking about with a nappy on their ear in solidarity with their cult leader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Why was there an apology? if that poster had the same criticism of a Taylor Swift on that stage would it be a phobia also, it's not a crime to dislike drag acts and not want to see them as much as the likes of you would like it to be, it was all about inclusivity they say….was there a heterosexual person on that stage? we'll never know but we can but guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

There was an apology because a lot of people got their knickers in a twist over a misunderstanding.

Sometimes it's just easier to say, "Fair enough, sorry, let's move on". (And do that so you can move on)

If that poster called Taylor Swift "a degenerate" like they did those performers, they'd certainly feel the wrath of Swifties everywhere.

Was there a heterosexual person on stage? I don't know, what do they typically look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

God help us if they ever catch wind of Fr.Ted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

When I see people [on thread] spouting out about "degenerate" (art), my antennas perk up a bit - don't think much of the critical abilities of the last shower in Europe to freely toss about that type of invective about art they didn't like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,836 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don't see where the creator apologized the way some people are assuming it was an acknowleding of it being the Last Supper - on the contrary he repudiated that comparison (Translated by Chrome):

Another criticism of Jean-Luc Mélenchon is the wild and much-discussed performance of Philippe Katerine in a setting and costumes that could evoke the Christian Last Supper, the last meal of Christ with his apostles. "I didn't like the mockery of the Christian Last Supper," wrote Jean-Luc Mélenchon. "It doesn't concern everyone. But I ask: what's the point of risking hurting believers? Even when you're anticlerical! We were speaking to the world that evening."

Thomas Jolly's response: "It's not my inspiration (the Christian Last Supper). There is Dionysus (Philippe Katerine painted in blue) who arrives on this table. He is there because he is the God of celebration in Greek mythology. The god of wine who is one of the jewels of France. And the father of Sequana, the goddess who is connected to the river, the Seine. The idea was to have a pagan celebration connected to the gods of Olympus. You will never find in me a desire to mock and denigrate anyone. I wanted to make a ceremony that repairs, that reconciles. And also that reaffirms the values ​​of our Republic, liberty-equality-fraternity." And the director regrets: "On the other hand, if we use our work to regenerate behind this moment of union again division, hatred while it continues to progress, then that would be a great shame."

https://fr.news.yahoo.com/sport/c%C3%A9r%C3%A9monie-d-ouverture-jo-thomas-093234037.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nermal

What misunderstanding? The reference to the Last Supper is clear and intentional, and has not been disputed. The painting and the artist have no connection with the city. It was simply included as a cheap jibe at Christianity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭screamer

It was as of they took every weird and showcased it, but forgot the wonderful…. the eiffel tower was the star of the show…. far more interesting than any of the people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.thewrap.com/paris-olympics-producers-last-supper-inspired-opening-ceremony/

A controversial scene from the Paris Olympics Opening Ceremony was in fact inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous painting “The Last Supper,” the producers of the live event confirmed Sunday in a statement to TheWrap.

“For the ‘Festivities’ segment, Thomas Jolly took inspiration from Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous painting to create the setting,” Paris 2024 said in the statement.

“Clearly, there was never an intention to show disrespect towards any religious group or belief,” Paris 2024 said. “[Jolly] is not the first artist to make a reference to what is a world-famous work of art. From Andy Warhol to ‘The Simpsons,’ many have done it before him.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

What? No. That's not it at all. It was a reference to a Greek Bacchanal, not the last supper. The artistic director said so today.

I didn't get the reference at the time, so I'd say it wasn't clear enough. But what makes more sense? Going out of your way to insult millions of people during one of the most watched pageants of the year, worldwide, or something that was at worse badly performed as the intention wasn't clear enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nermal

I'll have to retract my claim above that it wasn't disputed.

But I don't believe him. It isn't remotely credible that anyone with his artistic background wouldn't see the parallel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,836 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thomas Jolly's response: "It's not my inspiration (the Christian Last Supper). There is Dionysus (Philippe Katerine painted in blue) who arrives on this table. He is there because he is the God of celebration in Greek mythology. The god of wine who is one of the jewels of France. And the father of Sequana, the goddess who is connected to the river, the Seine. The idea was to have a pagan celebration connected to the gods of Olympus. You will never find in me a desire to mock and denigrate anyone. I wanted to make a ceremony that repairs, that reconciles. And also that reaffirms the values ​​of our Republic, liberty-equality-fraternity." And the director regrets: "On the other hand, if we use our work to regenerate behind this moment of union again division, hatred while it continues to progress, then that would be a great shame."

These statements are in direct contradiction. I'd lean toward the direct quote from the artist, not 'Paris 2024'

It’s a lot like a Rorschach test - if it wasn’t explained by anyone what it was meant to symbolise, people are inclined to draw their own conclusions based upon seeing what they want to see. Until I heard it was supposedly intended to represent the last supper, I would have had no idea (and I’m certainly familiar with the Gospels, and the many versions of the painting), precisely because it looks nothing like the painting, and it sure as hell doesn’t fit the description in any of the four versions of the gospels written by any of the four apostles:

https://thoughtsonpapyrus.com/2019/09/19/5-the-last-supper-paintings/

How anyone could possibly have imagined it was intended to represent the last supper has an incredibly fertile imagination, and based upon that could claim that the artistic director intended to offend them. Yet there’s no evidence whatsoever that the artistic director intended to offend anyone? The artistic director cannot be held responsible for the fertile imaginations of others and what they claim to have found offensive.

Speaking of artists and their background, while Leonardo has little connection to the city of Paris, his connection and contribution to France is undeniable. King Francis even called Leonardo his father, and Leonardo spent the last years of his life in France, where he was buried:

https://artsandculture.google.com/story/leonardo-da-vinci-and-france-ch%C3%A2teau-du-clos-luc%C3%A9/zwURhU_1pPuSIg?hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was this the display that also featured a testicle popping out, a real balls of a opener then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

How anyone could possibly have imagined it was intended to represent the last supper has an incredibly fertile imagination

meh…call me fertile so

Until I heard it was supposedly intended to represent the last supper, I would have had no idea… precisely because it looks nothing like the painting,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

While I thought the opening ceremony was a huge spectacle and alot of effort went into creating it, I felt at times it had nothing to do with sport but was more like Eurovision on steroids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement