Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadpool & Wolverine - *spoilers from post 183*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It can work both ways of course too. I've read reviews of a movie that have made me appreciate aspects of a film in a way I hadn't thought of before. Really good criticism makes you assess and look upon a film in a new way IMO - and it doesn't mean that it will always be in a bad way.

Really good criticism adds to and deepens the experience of seeing a film in my view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, this is ultimately to me the much more valuable aspect of film criticism.

For a film I might be on the fence about, a strong, well-argued review could certainly get me into the cinema (or not, as the case may be). The discovery and recommendation aspect of film writing is definitely a worthy aspect of the medium, though perhaps more so for smaller films that don't have the wide cultural appeal and marketing power of a Disney franchise film.

But I much prefer sitting down and reading a few thoughtful critical reviews after seeing a film - whether I liked it or not. I'll be going to see I Saw The TV Glow in the coming days and will certainly be engaging with the plethora of thoughtful writing about the film that I know is out there once I've seen it. That is the much more valuable and long-lasting role of film criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Speaking of Kermode, review below. He mostly seems passive towards it, liked in part and not so much in others, but playing in the rubbles of Endgame hits hard. Warning, he kind of spoils the opening salvo of the movie but doesn't go beyond that with spoilers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Off topic but I'm gonna be very interested to know your thoughts on that film: I suspect we won't share the same view but am curious to know your perspective. My own thinking has left me in a place I've rarely felt about a consensus, and will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Missed so much towards the end its's definitely a blink and you miss type situation one on one fight scenes are hilarious and top tier grotesque.

Can't wait to be able to discuss things here in a day or so but its definitely a don't you fukin dare spoiler this one on anybody type situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll add a 'spoiler free' notice to the thread title on Sunday or Monday so everyone can discuss freely, but if people wouldn't mind using the tags until more people have a chance to see it that'd be great.

For anyone who doesn't know how to use them: click the little flag icon next to the comment box (or below it on mobile), then the quotation mark button, and then the spoiler button.

Like so.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I paid my money to be entertained for two hours while having a laugh and see some cameos and get some easter eggs and it was money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been a while since I watched Deadpool 1/2 but violence felt more "cartoony" than I remember.

Kermode's review summed it up well.. it passed the six laugh test but found it a bit too jokey at times, especially at Marvel / Fox / Disney expense (which I'm not sure your casual movie-goer may get).

Emma Corrin was.. and I've not seen The Crown.. a bit of a non-entity in terms of presence or menace, but Tom Wambsgans was good fun.

All-in-all.. passable fare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Went to it today and I did find a fair proportion of the laughs fell flat for me. On the other hand I thought the general action sequences alongside the song choices were great fun. I'd rank it above number 2 but below the first one.

I also don't really have an issue with the likes of Clarke panning it. Not everyone is gonna like it, that's the reality. I just don't understand why people actively get offended by a negative review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Looks like MCU has any immediate plans to move from Jackman just yet..

https://collider.com/hugh-jackman-wolverine-mcu-replacement/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It was enjoyable with a few laughs and taking the piss out of itself. didnt expect Blade to show up and is this putting an end to a new Blade ?. Was cool seeing the comic book 'Wolverine' hopefully this won't be Henry Cavils sole appearance in the MCU. Never saw the 90s/00s FF movies so that version of Johnny Storm didn't appeal to me

What now for Deadpool and Wolverine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In isolation I thought it was an enjoyable, funny movie. But I am as disappointed with it as I have been with every other marvel movie after the last few years. It is yet another movie that ads nothing to the overall universe or storyline, if there even is one at this point.

It even points this out as a failing of the Marvel movies over the last few years, but continues the exact same trend. Brilliant to see X23, Elextra, Blade and most of all, imo, Gambit, but I have to assume NONE of them will be characters moving forward.

What is the point in a multiverse movie if the characters all stay in their uiverse when it is over. What was the point of Richards in Doctor Strange, or Captain Carter, and what is the point of Gambit. 'You got them for 10minutes, shut up asking for them'.

As a Deadpool movie, enjoyable. as a capstone to the movies outside of the MCU, lovely. as an MCU movie? It may as well not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

on that

How did Deadpool get into the same universe as the Avengers in 2018 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i gave up thinking about it tbh, makes no sense if you think about it AT ALL. I just accepted it for the merger joke it was and moved on.

How did he get there? No idea.
    If Hogan had given him the job, would he have moved his friends to 616? How? Just a daily commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I assume no more spoiler tags needed as on release now and anyone coming in to the thread here now has seen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He is wearing Cables watch during the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really thought this was spectacular. So many genuine laughs but manages to hit the heartfelt notes as well, Jackman amazing as ever. It's such a shame he only hit the Wolverine gold when he was getting on in years.

Only drawback is that it kinda requires you to have seen Loki to have a full picture of what's going on though it still functions fine if you haven't.

A lot of points I could mention would really be venturing into spoiler territory but I just loved the movie. I like Deadpool and Deadpool 2 a lot, but this is definitely my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

ultimately it’s let down by Shawn Levy‘s direction, but I’m calling BS on the 1 star reviews, anything 1 star, I’d make the accusation that the review is self serving and maybe a little attention seeking. I think if your being honest, the passion for the character from Reynolds, Jackman’s raw acting ability and Matthew Macfadyen perfect casting, that alone would objectively bump it up to at least a 1.5, and that’s if this isn’t your cup of tea, however, if your fan of this kind of stuff, (like me), the film is fun. It’s a good night out. 3/5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Saw it at a late showing last night. I really liked it, very clever. It not only passes the laugh test, but the, would watch again test. Cinema was packed.

Different sections of the audience laughed at different jokes. That’s deadpool.

On mobile, can’t figure out spoilers, so will leave it there. 4.5/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Absolutely loved it. Never laughed so much in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Agree, I'd happily watch it again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just out of it and absolutely loved it a solid 9 out of 10 for me, hell of a lot better then Deadpool 2. Cameos were spot on and played their part in the story. Jackman was excellent as was Reynolds and the movie certainty had some heart.

Brilliant I'd happily see it again.

I enjoyed it, Hugh and Ryan have great chemistry and banter, the jokes landed and cameos all were good, I know some voices I recognised with Matthew McConaghey and Nathan Fillon both some Pools too

Chris Evans was always a good Johnny Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Reynolds and Jackman did their best but the script was like a child picked up some action figures and knocked them together, then someone said to a 40-year-old screenwriter: 'That, but with some dick jokes". Fan service can help elevate a movie but it can't BE the movie.

To people giving this a 9/10 etc, have you seen Dune Part 2? Top Gun Maverick? X2?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Dunne part 2 no, saw part 1 - meh.

TG2, was okay for what it was, similar to Deadpool 3, imo.

Not sure what X2 is.

But, Deadoool is… well, Deadpool, the jokes were epic. The storyline wasn’t great, but nobody was expecting Cutizen Kane.

Do we know why Thor was crying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

All these films suffer from one stupid problem, the characters are invincible

Can't die

You can get one good film out of each, an origin story

Why because there's at least a story

This film has no heart, no laughs, no story, no acting

Well maybe wesley snipe's provided the only bit of charisma in the whole cast

The violence is trash, pointless

Reynolds is so shallow, has he ever been in a good movie? Probably not

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've been thinking over this a bit since seeing the film on Thursday, and I think the only issue I have with the film is that the parts where Wade is out of costume are pretty weak. In the first film those scenes and the supporting cast around Wade provided some sense of a life beyond the mask and a reason to put it on - whereas the writing in the 2nd and 3rd film has focused on having him in the mask and cracking filthy/wise.

Which is fine, until you expect the audience to treat some overly sentimental and under-sold guff as being real character motivation. "I need to matter or my girl will leave me" is sub-soap opera pish in writing terms, and needs more of an explanation than the film provides because how do we get from the end of the first film to there, alternate timeline notwithstanding? The contrast with Jackman's performance as a guilt-ridden Logan didn't do the material any favours, either.

Now, I wasn't going into this expecting a sombre character-driven affair or anything - if anything I'd have preferred that we just skip the stuff with Wade out of costume and up the pace a bit. But it's a brave film, of any genre, that doesn't spend any time trying to make viewers care about the protagonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They took the footage from The Dark World, just replaced Thor crying while holding Loki (seemingly) dying with Deadpool. Hemsworth has confirmed he didn't film anything for it and wasn't involved.

It was just a joke, tying into the Marvel Jesus thing and Deadpool wanting to feel like something he'd do would matter. Maybe they'll do something to reference it in the future, but nothing worth analysing or thinking about at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I quite liked it aside from the Deadpool searching for meaning thing and the fact that the supporting characters of the previous two films do almost nothing for the whole thing. It's very funny and I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement