Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭dobman88

He's obviously going to say that. I saw the replay of it earlier from all angles and he's looking at the posts all the time, not once does he look inside. He was going for a point and got a lucky break. Nothing wrong with it but it was an unintentional pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,457 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Watching a bit more of this on +1. I think it's a sign of a really poor year where only 3 teams are represented in the panels team of the year. What was it, 7 from Armagh, 5 from Galway and 3 from Donegal.

They're trying to make a plea for a Louth player to get a place in the official team of the year. Why didn't ye do it yourselves? And it's a bit like, nobody was really outstanding, it's a poop year, so let's stick some fringe contentious players in there on top of a poop All-Ireland tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The man was running in though, in case the ball might hit the post or whatever, and that positioning meant that there was a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭dobman88

100%. Great work by him to get into that position and anticipation

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭REDBULL68

Most boring, all Ireland I've watched, all stood back, passing, passing, afraid to take the point, I think even the support was asleep at half time .pinnacle of the season, I don't think so .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think Walsh's misses had everything to do with Armagh's defence. The tightness of their defence was what forced Walsh to kick from implausible distances a few times, and pressure from a defender forced him to kick one bad wide from play.

A bad miss without an excuse was one of the other forwards (forget who) who took a mark near the goal and missed a very kickable score in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Rugbyf565

exactly, this is what brolly has been saying and he was proven right today

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Rugbyf565

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Im copying a message on another forum but for Galway about positives and the future is mental. Need to face the reality first. This was the worst All Ireland loss bar the 83 final when 14 lost to 12 dubs.

Armagh only scored 1-11 FFS. They had 0-9 points after 42 mins. They still outscored Galway in the next 35 minutes, it's criminal.

Conroy made up for his quiet game 2 years ago. I feel so sorry for him. 3 points from midfield in a final . He deserved more from Comer and Walsh.

Comer is our Aidan O Shea. A flat track bully in Connacht.

Absolute **** bottlers. Armagh didn't even do enough to win an All Ireland based on previous scorelines, Galway absolutely blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Gaelic football is in serious trouble as a spectacle imo. Maybe two points should be awarded for a long range point. Just do something for gods sake to encourage more positive and attacking play. Jim McGuinness and his Donegal team in 2012 have a lot to do with this imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭elefant

Bemoaning Galway being slow in attacking is easy said when you're sitting watching the game but another thing completely in reality. You could see whenever Galway turned the ball over - which happened very rarely, and I don't think there was a single turnover outside the attacking third of the pitch for either side in the first half beyond the kick out Finnerty won the free off - they were scrambling forward to make the most of it.

Armagh played a hugely physically demanding game and got all 14 outfield players back in front of their goal really, really quickly time and again. I thought they would tire from it as the game went on, but they kept it up really impressively and also withdrew further from the Galway goal to leave no forwards up the field, reduced the amount of running required, and still managed to kick some massive scores from long range on the counter (like the Grimley point, which was an absolute sickener for Galway).

Armagh deserve huge credit for limiting Galway from being able to play more freely - other teams weren't able to keep that up for a full game. Galway ended up trying to force things in desperation, like the McHugh shot and long range free kicks. They didn't have the creativity to break through Armagh's organised defence.

Post edited by elefant at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This to me shows what can happen when resources are put into sport and used properly.

GAA in NI can pull finding from both sport NI and Sport UK, and as a result seem to be able to invest in proper facilities and coaching etc. There are nearly 40 NI athletes taking part on the Olympics in all sports for instance, and schools/underage players in particular are more developed than most of their southern opponents.

We could be looking at northern teams for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭shockframe

Long Range points were a feature of yesterday's game.

If there was an issue it was not running through the defence enough especially in galways case.

And before anyone says it yes the Hurling final was brilliant and dwarfed the football but that was the first time really being the case since 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭French Toast

Jesus lads, Darragh Moloney is a poor enough commentator for an AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

not a hope, Armagh were huge huge underdogs before the start of the year and they won Sam , conversation over.

I think I could point to a 1000 examples of sportspeople saying it was lucky or it was meant to be a cross not a shot or visa versa. So I’m not sure why it’s obvious he would say that, It wasn’t exactly a wildly difficult pass so I’d be inclined to just believe him on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Treble double

I don't have an issue with Shane Walsh being off target with the frees he is not a natural freetaker. The issue is the mark and the free he dropped short giving possession to Armagh from which they went straight up the field and definitely got a point from one if not both. At Junior B level you tell the kicker to make sure to kill the ball, so at least you can set up to press the kickout. It's unforgiveable and braindead for him to drop to placed balls short from inside the 45, a juvenile player would get bollocked for it. That was a 4 point swing in a 1 point game, Joyce must be at his wits end with him.

Joyce had the power to take him off. Awful management! Agree on the dropping short

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thorny Queen

To me, I would have subbed Comer and Walsh in the last 10 mins. 100% a poor coaching and tactical decision. Those wasteful frees, short kicking into goalie's hands and shooting into no man's land was a point lost. When you think that Galway only needed one point for extra time. They must be kicking themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭C__MC

I'm sorry but Walsh kicking that first free with his left roughly in front of the goals was inexcusable. He also took another on his left from play which was never on. He had enough room to drive on and swing it on his right. Yes you are correct about the marks. It was a very diasapointing day for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What a load of absolute horseplop.

Imagine blaming Jim McGuinness for anything, when:

1. Some of the football that Donegal team played was absolutely absorbing and gave us some cracking games. That team felt destined to win that All-Ireland from the second the ball was thrown up in Ulster that year.
    2. It was followed up by the most exciting and entertaining team to ever play the game and indeed, probably going up against another exciting watch, in that Mayo team.

This constant negativity is absolutely exhausting. No one's forcing you to watch the game, but you add nothing by throwing out ill-informed crap like that.

Pepper your posts with some "blanket", "defence", "typical Ulster" and "puke football" tropes to really get us going. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A good player doesn't need to look, all he needs to do is be aware from training. knowing his colleagues etc that there will be someone coming into that area. When he started his run he'd have been well able to see who was moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Thought it very strange Walsh kicking that first free with his left. Was it his right hamstring giving him trouble???

That would explain him taking frees with his left, and also dropping balls short. Maybe a slight fear of damaging it again.

This would be on management. No player is going to say I'm not up to it. Manager should have taking the decision out of his hands.

Or if I remember correctly, Diarmuid Connolly took a free in an All Ireland final. Cluxton was coming up to take it, and Connolly just waved to say , its OK, I've got this.

Comer, or another team mate could have stepped in and said I'll take this. They would of known better than anyone that Walsh was struggling to kick through on the ball.

Maybe galway just lacking leadership, on and off the field

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well done Armagh

Poor stuff overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ignore them

People who blame Jimmy McGuiness and his first stint in Donegal don't know what they are talking about.

If you want to find someone to blame, blame Jim Gavin and Dublin.

They were the ones around 2016 that started looking at the numbers and only took on shots when they were "high percentage".

They had the players to create those "high percentage" situations a lot and get big scores.

But other teams without the quality of players now do the same thing, it's all about only taking that shot when it's "high percentage".

It's a possession game, and you want to make your possession count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ah I don't know Walsh has a habit of doing crazy things in games. He can be very infuriating to watch. His last free, if his hamstring was tight you'd pull it at the stage for the sake of the game. Cannot be dropping balls short at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Seemed like his was desperate to make up for earlier mistakes as the game went on, leading him to lose his composure. Amazing what pressure can do to a person. They all work with psychologists now but once you're in the heat of the moment it can be difficult to put all that work into practice. Clifford was the exact same in last year's final, had some early misses and was just snatching at everything to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Every single time they name the all star team on the Sunday game they see to only pick players from the semi finals onwards.Pretty sure there were only 3 or 4 teams represented on the hurling equivalent last week and there won;t be much more variety in the official all star awards named for each team either.

The all star awards are pointless, better off to have a team of the week named every week in football and hurling from the start of the league onwards and the most cumulative points picked up by players named on the team of the week gets an all star award (they could have different points allocations for each stage of the year i.e slightly higher points for championship than league) at least something like this would reward players for playing well throughout the year and not just having a standout performance in a final or semi final.

Advertisement