Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

I was at 1 a while back. 1 clown spent the whole day in the house. Had a bottle of drink in his car. Man in his 50s and not even that close to the family. Kept going out to it to top himself up. It was a disaster. They didnt want to cause a scene / fallout. In theory a wake is great. Helping the family get over grief with company and stories about the deceased. Ive no problem with that. However in my experience you always get p!ss takers with no business being there. I couldn't imagine doing that to a family who've just lost someone. Only option to avoid similar is as you say. Cut the legs off it. No wake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

At least he was polite enough to bring his own booze. At my uncles wake about 4 people drank the place dry. Add in the 2 or 3 old bachelors who hoovered up every plate of sandwiches that were put down. Then the mess that followed. No, we didn't want a replay of that. Not exactly a good memory to have of a loved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭csirl

People who complain that Irish people support English soccer teams is one of the things I hate.

Professional sport is a consumer product and has absolutely nothing to do with nationalism or anything else. I'm sure the people who complain consume many products or services originating in the UK or other countries. I bet they shop in UK owned retailers, watch UK films/TV, listen to British bands/singers etc.

BTW I go to LOI matches, and recognise that its a very different product and is enjoyable for different reasons to why people follow English soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

There's nothing wrong with supporting English football teams, that wasn't the point of my post.

The same supporters would be shouting "brits out" etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

It's the combination of hating the Brits and supporting their teams gets people.

Also, why does no one follow say Scunthorpe or Barnsley? It's always United/Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's all a bit silly. People getting worked up about people having a preference for a hobby. I'm a football fan and would admittedly enjoy going to games locally, in the UK and on the continent. Makes no difference to me.

I don't actively support anyone bar Wexford Youth but getting your knickers about someone give it the "we" is a bit much.

The reason a lot of Irish people follow Liverpool/Manchester is because both cities had a high proportion of Irish immigrants, either permanent or temporary. Thats not so much the case with Scunthorpe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Litter.

Our policy makers not being educated in urban sociology. Basics like broken window theory.

This is true, I just wanted to say Scunthorpe.

But I threw in Barnsley as it would historically have had a not insignificant Irish population, along with countless other towns and cities throughout the UK, and yet we never hear of their football teams being supported in any sort of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭techman1

GAA cultists

I second you on that, the whole domination of gaa everywhere now, it usen't to be always like that, it seems to have pushed other things to the side especially in rural Ireland. I don't think it's healthy when one aspect of life dominates everything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭waywill1966

hate gaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It's successful teams so Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and a few Manchester City (albeit a lot of their Irish fans are older - I am one). In the 50+ group, you'll see fans of Leeds, Tottenham, Nottingham Forest, West Ham, Aston Villa, Derby, Leicester, QPR. My neighbour started supporting Wimbledon after they won the FA Cup in 1988.

PS - also the immigration point as raised above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Who you knew being more important than what you know.

Have direct experience of the former being more important in Ireland.

Whereas in England, it was the latter.

That drives me up the f##king wall and kind of goes with my post earlier.

Considering the sacrifices so many made during the Easter Rising, and war of Independence, and look at the state of O'Connell Street now? It's a kip. Not just the litter, but those random metal monoliths randomly dotted about too.

On litter though, the government sold off licenses for waste collection to private companies, and guess what, we have a litter problem. The companies make up their own rules. Instead of paying for their domestic waste charges, some people fly tip instead.

When I lived abroad, the rubbish collection was paid from taxes and was collected every two days. Here, you have to pay for it and it generally gets collected once a week. And if you miss bin collection day, its another week until it can be collected. And then we wonder why we have seasgulls ripping open bags to get at the rotting fish supper from a week ago.

The government need to accept, that every person in Ireland needs to pee, needs to poop, creates other forms of waste, and needs clean drinking water. Those basics should be covered by the taxes you pay. Many of the now leaky pipes in Dublin were built in Victorian times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The complete inability to enforce any laws or rules. Unless all it requires is a checkpoint. We're brilliant at those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

re Wakes, I was at a sort of wake recently, with time limits set and no booze on offer. My father’s cousin was laid out in his own home, had been a genuinely well loved figure in his community. People came, had a cup of tea and some nibbles, joined in a prayer and left when more people arrived, all very civilised.

in general when Irish people view corpses on display there’s quite the limited repertoire of conversation: “she looks very peaceful” I’d generally the limit of it, but I’ve heard surprising things said by people from time to time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Absolutely not the reason in 2024, premiere league big guns have fans on every continent and most have little connection to the city where club is based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Scunthorpe FC have a supporters club in Ireland. They are called Irish Iron.

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2024/march/march-2024-calendar-sponsor-irish-iron/

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The difficulty with the everything being paid from taxes is that there are too many who pay no taxes and they get the same benefits in that scenario.
    The reason private refuse companies do what they like is that when the Councils collected the refuse people wouldn’t pay them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The way the Irish scoff and sneer at the English football team and the media hype around it, yet are every bit as guilty ourselves with our rugby team and can't see it.

While on the topic, the lionising of rugby in general in Ireland is fairly painful also. Objecively speaking, any game where a main tactic is to hoof the ball down to the opposition, as close to their goal line as you can, and then just hope they make a mistake down there, is hardly displaying an abundance of tactical acumen or skill... There is also far too much reliance on brute force in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

Before my Old Lad died he told me that he wanted a wake at home. He didn't want people commenting on how he looked so asked that the coffin be closed and a nice photo of him on the lid. He was insistent that we not bring him to a funeral home, he hated them. When he died, we kept the wake to 2 hours as that was as long as I was able for but still had people calling after the time, mainly friends who thought we would appreciate the company but deep down I wanted to tell them to FRO. It's a difficult time and i was glad to see most of the people that arrived, we didn't provide drink or sandwiches at the wake, did so after the funeral the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

my father ye def to be a serious guy who saw darkness in everything. My parents had a family grave in Glasnevin that would fit the pair of them, but I wanted to fit in too. I suggested we all go in an urn each to be interred and each marked by a tiny little stone. My dad had a wry smile and said “well I won’t be able to do anything about it, now, will I”

Both my parents had the traditional prayers in hospital mortuary chapel, transfer to church with brief reception prayers, and the traditional Mass with singers. My mother for Eimear Quinn, no less. After my dad’s funeral we had a simple but very enjoyable reception in a small hotel, with finger food, and a supply of wine. The relatives are modest in their habits so no wild drunkenness. By coincidence the widow of an English business colleague of my Dad was holidaying in Ireland, something she had t done in a long time. My mother was jollying her up as she was reminded of the loss of her lovely husband some years back!

When it came to my mother’s time 8 years later, it was just me, the only child, to organise. Mum had told me she wanted people to remember it as a happy family gathering and everyone was to be well fed and watered. We had a 4 course meal with ample refreshments, and again very civilised. As I was living alone I found this gathering and subsequent support from relatives very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

Don’t get that myself. Theres no challenge in following a successful club.

Now Sunderland, there’s a club that would put you through the emotional ringer. One big win could make your whole year. Eternal optimism punctured by frequent misery. Up, down, down further, move upwards, hope springs, get knocked down again.

No prawn sandwiches or lads cutting the grass with scissors there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Ah but people generally support a club for enjoyment rather than a challenge.

Why can refuse collection not be paid for from normal taxation? You say too many people pay no tax, but thats not strictly true. 21% of practically anything you buy is tax. Duty on alcohol is tax. If you buy property you pay stamp duty, which is tax. If you have a car you pay road tax. You buy a coffee in a cafe for 4 euros, the reason its 4 euros and not 2 euros, is because the cafe is paying 3000 euros a month to the council in rates.

There is plenty of money in the coffers, to make refuse collection available to everyone. So, no more fly tipping. So, public bins get collected regularly. Meaning a cleaner society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The cult of Irish rugby / rugby fans and the incredulous reaction I've gotten from numerous people over the years when I've said I couldn't care less about the sport or the team. "You're some Irishman" and the like. Get fcuked.

Some people are pr1cks. They come in all walks of life and follow all manner of sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Claiming that " everyone pays tax " is just a left wing soundbite, the truth is we have a very odd model here where an enormous minority pay virtually no tax , There's no vat on food either by the way , a massive minority of local authority tenants are years in areas of their tiny rent , the same would inevitably happen with rubbish collection

Bin collection is better private

Advertisement