Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options
1100101102103104106»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

just reminder to not park your car on a tidal slipway…

https://x.com/only9built/status/1783437237541126535?s=46

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A big thanks to IWAI and Kieran Walsh for putting me forward for this the "endeavor cup" and to those of you that nominated me my head nearly exploded listening to all the kind words being read out, it's an honour to receive this award and to be among the other names on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Incredibly well deserved @fergal.b. Congratulations on the award!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭WildWater

He's the man, that's without doubt.

Congratulations @fergal.b an inspiration to all of us.

• Advertisement

I didn't know of this award, but if I had I'd have added my voice to the chorus... I couldn't think of a more deserving recipient!

Congrats! 👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's a bit of a health & safety gone mad report from that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Tow

I can see the need to a safety line if single handed to two handed in a storm etc. But a tether on a bowman racing around the cans could be more dangerous than no tether.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I know nobody involved. I fully agree MOB exercises should be a regular event.The MCIB report makes very sad reading, peppered with trite platitudes and cliches. Sadly its overall tone, instead of helping, drives another wedge between the MCIB and the sailing community. It shows the ignorance of an investigator not just of what happens on the bow of a racing yacht, but on yacht racing in general. Tethers are deadly, you are much more likely to trip and fall overboard wearing one. (See comments on them & recoveries in the 1979 Fastnet report.) The yacht JB was close to a lee shore when a crew slips and is partly in the water. The skipper makes a call that the priority is to recover the bowman. Forty seconds laterthe boat went on the rocks. The investigator makes a song an dance about not dropping the main - how the f was the yacht to get off the lee shore with a sail on its prop? Pitiable reading, annoying to think that its writer is a senior civil servant drawing >100k a year and will get a pension to match. Well done to the skipper & crew in recovering the bowman.

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/zHxPranLPvZGAert/

😱

A beautiful peaceful anchorage that I've been lucky enough to have spent lots of time at……

Was that Conor McGregor by any chance? as they are now a family of international yachtsmen..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Tow

I assume the engines shutdown before they overheated from trying to dig themselves out with them.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Made a schoolboy error when I launched a few weeks back and I left the power on.. (weekday so was in a hurry to get back to my desk), then went away for 3 weeks so never had the chance to correct my mistake…. Went down on Saturday to give her decks/cockpit a power wash and realised the batteries were flat…. So brought down a trickle charger yesterday to see if I could get a pulse from them again but it wasn't looking good, so I dispatched my better half to Halfords to pick up one of those booster engine starters…. hooked it up and she came to life, and the engine fired on the button…. those boosters are great bits of kit…

Now for some good weather this bank holiday weekend to hopefully catch one of the 2 airshows that are happening.. Saturday and a spin down to Bray looks the better option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hoping for a spin to Bray myself on Saturday if the weather plays ball.

If I make it will be first outing of the season due to engine problems (now fixed).

Yeah I'm ashamed to say that yesterday was my first spin of the season too, and I literally just left Malahide and went out around the safe water mark and came back in, as I just wanted to run the engine under load for an hour or so to get a bit of charge back into the batteries…

You're out of Greystones aren't you? so it's a handy enough spin for you…. I'd be looking at at least 3 hours each way to get there but thankfully would have the tides with me both ways…

Do you know roughly what the depth is where they keep the spectator boats? Looking on the charts I see around 20m? as I only have a combined 30m of chain/rode… so not sure anchoring will be an option for me unless it's fairly calm…

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I don't know the depth exactly but I suspect only around 10 metres to 15 metres max. I have similar chain/rope to you and had no problem anchoring last year. Actually anchored twice as even though outside the spectator marks, the Navy decided a few of us were too close and asked us to move out and re-anchor.

Yes, I'm in Greystones, so a very short hop! My boat is on the hard at the moment for antifoul and anodes. Just hope they get done by Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you have lead batteries, they are likely damaged from being discharged fully and left. Keep an eye on them for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

A multi meter is a worthwhile investment, a reasonably one is only €40 or so online and Lidl stock them periodically. You can use it for fault-finding, checking circuits, voltages, etc, e.g. to see if your battery is holding a charge, or if the sacrificial anode connection is good. Yes the full discharge did not help battery life but one single full discharge would not be too bad.

When I put the Lidl trickle charger on the circuit it was showing around 5.2V

After jumping the engine, I ran it for a good hour and when I came back in the batteries were reading about 12V (after I stopped the engine), so I think I may have caught it ontime…

They wouldn't have depleted immediately, so I'm hoping they lasted a week or 2 before going flat, and then hopefully they weren't sitting in that state for too long… maybe 1-2 weeks

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's a culture of violence fostered and encouraged in club racing! When acts of violence on the course routinely go unpunished and when successful county sailors regularly avoid jail for violent assaults, what do people expect?

😂😂😂

Although, all jokes aside, it was a very violent and vicious assault. I hope the victim can recover.

Remember folks, violent psychopaths come from all walks of life!

Advertisement