Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Only 4 points scored (all from play) by Armagh's starting forwards and the same from play from Galway's forwards (plus 2 frees); probably reflective of the type of game it was but that's a very low return

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭French Toast

Question for those more knowledgeable than I - when was the last time 1-11 was enough to win an AI final?

Edit: quick Google suggests 2015 when Dublin beat Kerry with 0-12 to 0-09. Thought it would have been further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

then 2003 with a few close ones in between, was fairly low scoring.

2015, Dublin beat Kerry in a poor enough match by 12 to 9

• Registered Users Posts: 18,594 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was in exceptionally wet conditions probably the wetest AI final in a 30-50 years period. Yesterday was ideal conditions for football

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭drury..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But no one was expecting a shoot out yesterday, regardless of the conditions.

They were two teams that were low scoring all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Fair play to Armagh, deserved champions this year. They took their chances in a way that other teams didn't, over and over. While somewhat defensive by historical standards, they at least try and go out and play football at times, kickpass, attack at pace etc, so probably better for the game as a whole that they won. Their win is also a welcome break from the dour, defensive tactics that Dublin have deployed over the last 8 or 9 years.

But this wasn't a very good or memorable final by any stretch and it finishes off what was a fairly worrying season for Gaelic Football. We had the (predictable) complete collapse of interest in what is the shambles of the Leinster Championship, the worst of all the provincial Championships. Then there was poor attendances across the group stages. And I find there is just a general feeling that football is not penetrating the public imagination the way it once did, and definitely not compared to hurling nowadays. Rule changes can't come quickly enough.

Exactly… That Donegal team from 2011-14 is overly and unfairly criticised. Yes, in 2011, it was awful to watch. But they didn't win that year and changed tactics after that. They remained fairly defensive but were much better to watch and also far less defensive than most teams nowadays. Dublin were the ones who really pushed the dour, negative play we are seeing as standard nowadays- endless handpassing and possession football, no long range point kicking, very little high-fielding either because of the short kickouts or handpassing around the centre of the pitch. Nothing illegal about this so it's not their fault for playing within the rules in a way that they felt would maximise their chances of success, it's up to the GAA to change the rules. But if we want to "blame" anyone for introducing this ugly style of football, we should blame Dublin, not Donegal.

hahaha Dublin dour defensive tactics , that team is the greatest of all time bar none and racked up some absolutely huge numbers. I’d have hate to seen them playing attacking football, maybe they’d have had to be split in 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Based on yesterdays game there has to be serious changes made to football.

I'm struggling to see the differences between what Donegal did against Dublin in 2011 and what Armagh did yesterday, which is put 15 men behind the ball for much of the game and invite Galway to break them down. Galway in turn recycled the ball endlessly. Armagh did open up late in the game, but most of the game was an awful boring spectacle.

Fair play to Armagh, they exploited the rules allowing you put players anywhere on the field. However it just creates a precedent where everyone from underage upwards adopts a successful tactic.

I don’t really agree to be honest, tactics in sports tend to change over time , I’m not sure if garrotting the rules is really the answer, it’s rarely seen as the answer in other sports. Bit off topic but with the introduction of all these gym bunny players they really need to change the sliothar, the ease of long range scores now is frankly ridiculous.

I think both teams set up defensively but Armagh at least attacked with a bit of speed. Galway were happy to handpass laterally for minutes at a time. Even at the end, a point down in an All-Ireland final, Galway didn't seem to have any urgency to go up and get a score quickly. I agree rule changes are required though.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

I think if you're looking at teams to blame due to the current style of football, you'd have to look back to the great kerry team. They were renowned for their fitness levels and hand passing game.

Ironically, Pat Spillane was lauded as one of the fittest players in the country. Probably the first forward to consistently help out in defence. Other forwards now mimic what Spillane himself started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Gleeson was coming up to take the free that Walsh kicked sideways on the 45. He kicked pretty much the same free to beat us in the Connacht final. It's on Joyce for keeping Walsh on frees when it was obvious his head was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Charlo30

You just can't help yourself having a pop at Dublin at any opportunity

Don't agree with that at all - in recent years, Galway are renowned for playing defensive football (only 3 goals conceded in the last 2 championships apparently) as anyone who's been to a Galway game can attest to. Until the very end of the game, they barely pushed up on Armagh's kickouts at all and instead retreated into their defensive structure. Armagh pressed the kickout more often than Galway.

The main difference in style yesterday was in the forwards rather than the backs in that Armagh attacked with more pace than Galway. I don't have any stats on it but I'd wager that the average time from winning possession to getting a score from a play was much higher for Galway than Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Tyrone have been brutal since 21,almost that talent but seems to wilt..

That did make me laugh 😂

"Exploited the rules to the max to put players anywhere on the pitch"

Ya make it sound like they put the ball down their trousers to stop the other team getting it

• Advertisement

Its clear they need to tackle the continuous hand passing and the backwards/lateral play

And it's hardly rocket science to make changes here

Also very easy to make changes to stop everyone getting back behind the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭PressRun

People seem to still have it in their heads that Galway play free flowing, attacking football like in the 90s, when that has not been the case in a long, long time and the evidence is there in front of everyone's eyes. Typical that Armagh are being blamed for the game being "dour", as if they forced Galway to play any way other than the exact way they've been playing all year. Galway were just as defensive as Armagh yesterday (and have been all year), the only difference is that Armagh actually showed a little bit more adventure and kept their heads at crucial moments.

The fact is, most teams are playing like this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There was a stat somewhere that Armagh had only one third of possession in the first half, although they had the same score at half time. Armagh took much less time to get a score than Galway. Even by modern standards Galway endlessly played the ball around the 40-45m area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,141 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Armagh had the much easier draw in Ulster wheras Donegal had to beat both Derry in Derry and Tyrone to get to the final. Donegal also drew with Armagh in the league in Armagh and beat them in Croke Park in a league final and in Clones in the Ulster Final this year. Fair play to Armagh they had a good win yesterday, but I would not see that as them being the team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Every team including Kerry and Dublin play a very similar style so I wouldn't be too critical of any team for their style.

I wonder what simple rules they can introduce to open up the game.

Maybe that the full back line and forward line have to stay within their own half or the 60.

Ideally there should be more space for the forwards to show their skill. At the moment we're just seeing a slow cautious build up with handpassing and then eventually a shot from distance.

Goal chances have become very rare and goals even rarer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ah there has got to be leaders on the field too. Kelly was on the field at that stage and should have had a word with Walsh. When you are a point down and you get a 45m free you have to take it on. For Walsh to kick the ball sideways was criminal. I do agree that Joyce is the biggest culprit but lads on that Galway team didn't want to take responsibility. Gleeson kills that ball every time and it doesn't get dropped into the keepers hands. It's probably and 80 percent kick for the lad. So for that to happen was crazy. Great players win finals like that. Comer and Walsh are not great players.

They can decide on a minimum number of players that have to stay in the forward half

Also limit the number of consecutive hand passes

Also a rule change on moving the ball backwards in forward half, not sure what there

ah behave yourself , what odds were they to win the all Ireland before ? 20/1 ? Higher?Course they are the team of the year, bleating on about the provincial championships doesn’t change that. I can’t see how huge underdogs winning the by far biggest trophy doesn’t make them team of the year to be honest. Whatever about provincial but talking about the league is laughable.

The team of the year is the team that wins the AI

The best team in the country can be ANother team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ah yes football is over it's all terrible we need a rule change to make it better for the spectator - what do the amateur players of the sport think?

Who cares! This is about the entertainment of middle aged men who barely play at all

Genuine question - what do those proposing rule changes want the game to look like? Plenty of complaining about too much this too much that - what does the football of the future look like? Any examples?

Advertisement