Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭RoTelly

They should bring back Dee Frobes too, don't you think Bob? I doubt they will bring him back, audience numbers largely static since he left, much like that of Mr Kenny, Kenny's TV career is large over at this point.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Ryan, being the Book Man that he is, will no doubt at all, make some points about the finer aspects of Edna O’Brien’s writings,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭hawley

I interviewed Hilary Clinton soon after she lost the 2016 race and as we sat facing each other in upstate New York, I remember vividly how engaging she was.

I walked away from that encounter thinking that if her campaign managers let that version of Hilary run for the White House with all her warmth, empathy and easy humour (none of which were on show in the run up to election day) I was quite certain she would have won and the world would be a very different place.

I had just landed in my flat here in London and as I turned on CNN, my eldest daughter FaceTimed to tell me to turn on the news, Biden was out. I was not surprised but I was shocked. I think most of all, I was relieved – it was definitely time to step aside.

https://evoke.ie/2024/07/28/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-kamala-harris-brat

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That's what I thought, I remember him saying something along those lines, at that time.
    And yes, that's true re bailout - 'right lads and lassies, ye played fast and loose with public money previously, so here's lots more.' 🙄

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes indeed. Not that he had much credibility to begin with, imo, anyway.

• Advertisement

He had the horn for Hilary, presumably he will have the kink for Kamala

RTÉ should start him off on News 2 Day, he can work his way back.

The election takes place in a land far away called November and if a week is a long time in politics, can you imagine what might happen in 15 weeks? It won’t be boring, that is for sure.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They should give him a bucket and tell him to go mop the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Karppi

Are they freebies with publication dates marked on the spine.

Yes, they are. I've Alice Loxton's book on order and only a couple of days ago she was doing a massive book signing at the printers. Should arrive on 15 Aug. He won't even open the cover of her book - from Waterstones blurb, "In this unconventional and witty history, award-winning writer and broadcaster, Alice Loxton, delves into Britain’s past, exploring the country though eighteen notable figures at this formative age."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭nonetheless

https://evoke.ie/2024/07/28/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-kamala-harris-brat Regarding that article, he leans far too heavily on the use of adjectives when talking and writing as sometimes the use of such words can be an attempt give the reader - whether it is print or listener when it is radio, the impression that he is more intelligent than he is. He does not want to make the article a political diary but that is exactly what he ends up doing and that is exactly Tubridy. His reference to driving through the southern states, making reference to the feel and vibe and then immediately going into a description and comparison as to the type of "junkie" he is residing in the thriving coastal cities, smacks of the type of entitlement and privileged vibe that oozes from him and what can make him so dislikable.

No improvement in his radio show either but there is also another smug vibe coming from him that he just doesn't care, his ass will be covered irrespective of how well he is received (or not) when his contract is up at Virgin Radio UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jáysus Hawley, I actually read that quote initially thinking you were doing a sketch of Tubs, until I realised it was verbatim.

But you missed a bit elsewhere in there, where he says "people love authenticity and can smell a fake a mile off" - oh, the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I heard Tubs is a dead sound lad from people who know him/have met him in Baggot Street pubs. Likes his pints, a few smokes, catching up with friends, listening to music. Makes times for people who want a photo etc. Does charity work we don’t hear about.

A positive mental attitude can get you a long way in life. Brush yourself down and try again. I think some of the really negative people on social media just dont have that, and punch down on others as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭GSF

amazed that you have never met him… …………

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

RAJARs out soon I guess for Q2.

I believe this advice. You should also givenit to Dee Forbes, Geraldine O’Leary, Jim Jennings, Rory Coveney and Richard Collins.

Don’t you think?

______

Yesterday

I don’t obsess over senior management in a commercial semi-state. I’d suggest you shouldn’t either.

did I mention any senior management in a commercial semi-state body?

I don’t think I did.

______

Yesterday

You did.

no, I don’t think i mentioned anyone currently working for that company.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82,958 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dud Tubs ever do niteclubs or weddings as a disc jockey in his earlier days so to speak?

Well now, I don’t know about that, but I could think a re-go at the rubber chicken circuit could pay a bill or two, like €150k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

some interesting comments from Bakhurst saying that he likes RT but that feeling probably wouldn’t be reciprocated.

He also makes it clear that many things would need to happen and suggests that certain people have to take responsibility and acknowledge their own role in the fiasco.

I think we all know how likely that is to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Indeed- carefully choreographed - a few articles here, a few photoshoots there, maybe attending a function or two and before you know it, it’s the morning show with Tubs.

He’s obviously doing his 40 days and 40 nights in the desert in the UK- I’d give it till next Summer at most and he’ll be back - I haven’t been in this thread for a number of months but if Tubridy is still doing that speaking a mile a minute every 10 minutes for 2 minutes sort of presenting that he was doing a few months ago on Virgin, he must be feeling demented at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭yagan

While the rehabilitation of Bryan is been pushed now in the silly season there will be pushback after the holidays from the golden circled who've had a hobbling thanks to barter boy.

Edit to add the number one priority of any bureaucracy is survival, and Bryan's hubris torpedoed the ship. The barter payments was Bryan taking a whole lifeboat for himself.

if Tubridy is still doing that speaking a mile a minute every 10 minutes for 2 minutes sort of presenting that he was doing a few months ago on Virgin, he must be feeling demented at this stage.

I listen to Q102, apart from his show, but occasionally catch a very brief clip before I get to turn the dial. Yes, still jabbering a mile a minute. I would find him difficult to understand, and not at all easy to listen to. I can't imagine what a UK audience makes of him.

I'd say he thinks things are going marvellously. I really would. Bakhurst must be well and truly off his rocker if he is planning on leaving a door open for him to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d need a bit more time to think that one out.

It would be a business decision first and foremost.
    So, let’s look at the as-is position.

1. Presenter fees are way down what they were- that’s a good thing so you’ll get RT relatively cheaply compared to past fees

1. Next is a bit more complex- Tubridy likability. OK let’s face it he still has a fan base but obviously you and me aren’t included in that - so he’s devicisve as a presenter . I hate his condescension, his pandering to whatever agenda is flavour of the month such as woke etc He doesn’t know how to just be himself as a presenter - he tries and in my view fails to endear himself to many instead of just saying “this is me” accept me or not- a much braver and solid thing to do. Also his lecturing - there was a time when that was somewhat acceptable and indeed good - Gay did it; Gerry did it- it’s not the done thing anymore but he’s still doing it

Advertising- would he bring in the money? Probably not much more so than any other presenter- he’ll still need a primetime slot and will need to show he can grow his audience again

in summary I don’t think Tubridy will change -and for me that’s the one reason not to bring him back- if the DG thinks he’ll make money then fine but I won’t be tuning in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭maebee

"Bakhurst must be well and truly off his rocker if he is planning on leaving a door open for him to return."

Yes and Bakhurst would need to give some serious thought as to how his staff would work with Tubridy. It would cause enormous tension, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭nonetheless

You only have to listen to his radio shows to understand that Tubridy is technically inept and lacks the most basic skills required to DJ in nightclubs or at weddings. He mispronounces 99% of the song artists and song titles (even though they are written in LARGE FONT on the playout screen infront of him) he has no grasp of the term "crunch and roll" and he is also unable to mix. Most of the time the music is played by a tech op who constantly has a battle to keep Tubridy from crashing or walking over the vocal. He has no comprehension of audio levels, engineering or motor skills required to be a DJ or Producer. After all as he was practically "raised in Montrose" where music, ads, "stings" and other such insignificant trifles are all played out by: "the boffins on the other side of the glass"

If Ryan Tubridy had to actually self-operate his Virgin & Q102 show (without the aid of minimum wage tech ops) he would most certainly take those stations off air or crash the playout system as he has done on numerous occasions by hitting the green "NEXT" button with such aggression causing the ads to cascade into a tailspin until resting on the piece of music that follows those ads.

Advertisement