Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭elefant

Agree very much with all this.

Some tough and in many ways fairly understandable criticism of Shane Walsh, but from being at the game you could see he was busting a gut to try and make things happen in a very, very stagnant forward line.

Armagh tactically challenged us to break them down and we didn't have the guile.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Stewball

If you're going to leave Comer at the edge of the square, why not land a few in on him instead of handpassing from one sideline to the other across the 45.

We're taking him out of the game ourselves by just leaving him standing inside without any ball.

We kicked in a high ball once to him right on the stroke of halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Management team is a bit top heavy Imv, it needs a shake up, I'd nearly keep Padraig, the rest of the team... need to lose 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Shouldn't you be hassling the gaa for another 50 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

Just to chime in as a neutral. I agree 100% with you Stewball, this basketball type possession football should be banned. To quote Pat Spillane it's puke football and so boring, repetitive & monotonous to watch. Given Comers power & strength he should be positioned to allow to him to run at the defense, and may, on occasion, have to be fouled to be stopped so a score-able free would result even perhaps a penalty - that of keep lobbing the ball in to him and he would win a percentage of them….and it's all about percentages. It was so pointless leaving him literally starved and isolated for long periods in the edge of the square.

But overall it's by chance and a stroke of luck that both teams managed to reach the final - it's a sad reflection on the standard of football overall. It was a series to forget. But Armagh deserved to win today purely for their never say die attitude, it will be great boost for football in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Delete

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Two words for you "Tim O'Leary!"

Anyway back on topic this is a Galway GAA thread. It will be interesting to see how Galway react from this loss. Will they learn from it. That is two close finals they were in.

At the moment I would say Galway Football is nearer to the big prize than the Galway hurlers are. Unlike Mayo it is not a mental block. Just more of a tactical sideline issue.

Nearly there though. That Galway football panel have all the tools required. It should be a very open championship in the next decade or so. And it would be a shame for Galway not to get the big prize, some lovely footballers.

Do Galway people think that Conroy will call it day now or will he hang on for as long as he can?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There was plenty of 'mental block' on show today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hard as it is to say, the better team IMO won. Played with superior pace throughout, took their scores better and found it easier to take them. Galway's gameplan (not just today) wasn't designed to get the best out of the full forward line. Approach play was too slow and ponderous and no quick ball sent in. Hard luck in particular to McHugh, Conroy, Maher, D'Arcy who gave it their all.

The close nature of the defeat I think will give them hunger to go one step better next year.

I disagree Pat has rolled back on the "Puke football" comment since. It was his lack of knowledge and insight. The thing is the really good sides vary their play.

They break and counter attack at pace when required, it is Donegal's main game plan. When executed properly it is great to watch. Dublin were great at it as well particularly when Jack McCaffery came on to break at pace. You need runners and movement. Better to appreciate live than on the Telly.

Galway are nearly there, sometimes Galway play one "safe" pass too many, it was interesting that when they did work the ball in. And Silke was in the opposition scoring zone he was very effective today, same v Dublin.

But Galway must learn to do the movements at pace, pop passes runners off the shoulder, when required not just at the end of matches. Believe it or Louth who play similar to Galway try to break at pace when they have the chance, spreading the players wide when in possession and funnelling back when out of possession

Ironically IMO Armagh played the worst football all year (although there were some great Armagh points in the final, in fairness), but overall Armagh extremely defensive, and laboured for the most part. Basically relying on opponents errors.

Galway were miles better in the Semi-Final v Dublin and could/should have won by more it was great defensive display, but they could have attacked more. And seemed to have went even safer in the final, the chances where there for Galway though.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

Do you think there is? Two close finals, two losses.

Shame if there is nearly every county in the country would love to have a panel of players Galway have.

It would be an awful waste not to win Sam with them. Or a "fierce waste" as you would say in Galway. Not third time lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway were not the better team today. Armagh actually attacked when they went forward and their defensive structure was much better. We have to give them their due.

Armagh set up with two a two line defensive set up, 3 in front of 4 which meant they dealt easily enough with Galway switching sides. They left space behind the lines daring Galway to kick to Comer but it was never really on, he was well marshalled.

Galways defensive set up was similar to the first half against Donegal with pockets of space appearing where Armagh picked off points. Unlike the Donegal game those pockets stayed for the full 70. They never got the set up that they managed against Dublin and Donegal. 1-4 or 1-5 came down the right corner back channel and it cost us the game.

Only Maher put in a performance for the full 70. McHugh had a great first but faded.

Armagh were deserving winners

I get the point on the tactics, not that Armagh were the better team. Galway had the chances to win the game. They just couldn't finish their dinner. Normally Galway shooting is better than that.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c0vejxz8rr2o

From the article above -

"Galway ended the game with 13 points from 25 shots (nine wides, three dropped short), their profligacy dashing their hopes of ending a 23-year wait for Sam."

We had more possession and did nothing with it. We didn't challenge the Armagh defensive system so our success ratio from shots was poor. Yes Walsh had a poor day on frees and we could have won it if more clinical but I don't think we'd have deserved it. Armagh played the better football and our composure deserted us on the biggest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭Robson99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Kerry and Roscommon shooting was similar or worse against Armagh not a coincidence as their defence has been excellent throughout this championship and more often than not the team that defends best wins the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

The talk here about positives and the future is mental. Need to face the reality first. This was the worst All Ireland loss bar the 83 final when 14 lost to 12 dubs.

Armagh only scored 1-11 FFS. They had 0-9 points after 42 mins. They still outscored Galway in the next 35 minutes, it's criminal.

Conroy made up for his quiet game 2 years ago. I feel so sorry for him. 3 points from midfield in a final . He deserved more from Comer and Walsh.

Comer is our Aidan O Shea. A flat track bully in Connacht.

Absolute **** bottlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Speaking as a blow in if I may ?, the game was lost on the sideline as much as on the field

A legendary player but mediocre manager

I don't think you can blame Comer, no forward could operate in the position he did today. Hidden behind 2 lines of defence, no chance of ball coming in. Clifford operated in less confined circumstances 2 weeks ago and got no where.

You have to run at blanket defences and have runners to offload to running in support. Pass the parcel from side to side will only get so far. It works in soccer as the ball can be transferred so quickly. In football it takes 2 to 3 times as long and it's easily covered. The only joy we got in the first half was when mcHugh cut in and took them on. We got 3 or 4pts off just him.

Walsh is a good ball carrier too and he should have made similar runs to draw defenders. Bring Comer out to run support from deep and he would draw defenders or fouls. We'd get plenty of point and goal chances. Might get turned over the odd time but it's risk reward and we're risk adverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

One thing I couldn't understand watching yesterday is how they did not have Comer under the goalies nose for every Walsh free given how many he has dropped short the last few games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Joyce possibly should have held comer in reserve. He was poor enough against the dubs and donegal if we are being honest. Yesterday will sting Galway for a long long time. Armagh didnt even play well yesterday and Galway just malfunctioned. Still can't belive they butchered the overlap when gleeson broke the kickout in injury time. I cant see an all Ireland going to galway for a long long time given the teams that will reemerge next year. Yesterday was the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah I just watched it back. There was a goal on but Galway somehow went out wide like they did all day. Same with the time Walsh ballooned a left footed chance way wide earlier on. Galway counter attacked but somehow Walsh took the shot off his left foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In hindsight, losing Finnerty was a huge loss and maybe cost them the game. He surely would have offered a little more danger, and landed one or two of those frees.

But I really didn't see that performance coming from Galway. I know that the Armagh defence is of course very tight, and they generally don't concede high scores.

But Comer, Walsh, Heaney, Tierney, all underperformed IMO, Finnerty was injured and McDaid was quiet by his standards. Even McHugh's accuracy deserted him.

Post edited by keeponhurling on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The best team won because they took more chances when they were presented with them.

But to be fair to Galway, the finnerty injury was a massive blow so early on. Walsh hasn't been fully fit all year(and while still scoring) his free taking isn't a patch on what he was doing a few years ago. After that first or second one he should have been taken off them - not his fault. I think it was Walshs man that got the goal as well - and again I think if he were tracked that may not have happened.

I also thought Armagh were more direct - particularily in the first half - they put a lot less effort into scoring points and used their possession much more efficiently, they weren't concerned with Galway in possession as Galway were very rigid. There were very few balls or passes in over that top that let Comer or the other forwards have a race with their marker - I suspect the instructions were not do deploy these types of passes. Very static in there.

It was definetly one that Galway will rightly think got away, but Armagh were the better team on the day and deserved their win - it hasn't been an overnight success either - McGeeney has been there almost a decade and they've had some seriously crushing defeats in those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Galway had enough chances to win the game. I don't think armagh were the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭carfinder

As a Mayo man I can empathise with Galway fans today. Its devastating to lose a game that you could have won - other teams will be back next year, but so will Galway!

Leave off! We beat our closest rivals in Connacht, the league champions, and (in knock-out games in very tight finishes) the Leinster and Ulster champions en route. Nothing shabby or weak about that.

So will we. Hopefully PJ (if there) will finally get a freer run from injuries next year. Bar Conroy, the age profile of the team isn't too high, with many of the players now coming into their prime. The likes of Hernon, McLaughlin, O'Conghaile, O'Curraoin, O'Neills x 2 etc. can push on next season and strengthen the team again.

It's easy to be despondent today, but time heals wounds. Of all our closest rivals, I can only see perhaps Donegal actually improving next year. It'll be wide open again in 2025.

We made hard work of every single score we got bar the McDaid one on the break. Armagh manufactured their scores more easily. Just having possession doesn't make you the better team. Armagh pressure caused some of those misses and they had misses of their own, unless you think we should score everything we kick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

I know you don't agree with me but we have to find a place for John daly and keiran molloy, mulkerrin and Fitzgerald are honest players but offered nothing going forward, mulkerrin had a couple of openings and turned back and you would never see Fitzgerald pass half way.one thing we missed yesterday was sean Kelly's runs from full back.

Advertisement