Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Not familiar with his career to date what’s his history and depending on the contract terms why would he be a risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I guess the risk is that he’s ending up at Villa because neither Atletico or Barca wanted to keep him.

Generally I’m more in favour of signing lads who their club didn’t really want to sell that much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Athletico paid more than 100 million for him but he hasn't really pulled up any trees for them and they've farmed him out the last couple of seasons.

That said, I’d trust Emery’s judgement above my own in situations like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he was doomed from day1 at Atletico tbh as he is not at all a Simeone player and the two did not see eye to eye. That said he didn’t exactly wow everyone with his stats at Barca where you would normally expect their attacking players to put up good numbers so it is a risk taking him on for big money but if Emery wants to take the risk he’s earned the right.

• Advertisement

And as we’ve seen Emery has the knack of getting the best out of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Do we really need another 10/wide forward (that's the only places I've seen Felix play). I don't see him as make or break personally. Apparently Emery sees him as a player who can break a low block but I would hope Buendia back fit would be able to do that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Really need to move on Duran, he's just a massive distraction at the moment - he's a Balotelli in the making, for all the good and bad that offers, but Watkins is obviously number 1 and he doesn't want to wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

For anyone thats interested, tonights game vs Columbus Crew is live on Columbus Crew youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/live/BukNW8GRI5A?si=9u-5fGCk0MnXdlL1

the result wasn’t great but Beundia came on for half an hour. Great to see him back playing in a game .

• Advertisement

Yes probably the most important aspect of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Still seeing RB/CB as requirements. Mings unfortunately looks like he won't be back any time soon. Cash will cost us defensively and Nedeljkovic has a lot to learn although he does look promising. Gauci doesn't look like an upgrade on Olsen either, so we are very dependent on Martinez staying fit.

The Duran saga shows no sign of ending with his silly instagram post about West Ham and the club going to discipline him for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Imagine throwing toys out of the pram trying to force a move to West Ham.

Watkins is a backup strikers nightmare though. Convincing a Duran replacement to come in will be tough unless it’s someone who also plays another position.

Kalvin phillips loan bid rumours. Given how it went for him at West Ham it does not fill me with confidence but if it is just to cover Kamara until he is back at full speed while we also have Onana and Barrenechea for that role then ok.

Being linked to Sergi Roberto on a free transfer too (RB that can also play in midfield) after he has now left Barca.

Tammy Abrahams being linked again as a possible Duran replacement at around 25m

Felix still the most heavily linked attacker though.

We have the carrot of Champions League football to dangle now though.

For sure, probably still end up playing less games total to last season though (in spite of the 2 additional group games), with no playoff round, and semi finals in the CL feeling like a hard ask.

it’s really up to Cameron Archer to step up as Ollie’s competition, Morgan Rogers can also do that role he’s one of the most exciting prospects for next season.

Can’t imagine Archer will be with Villa in September. If he wasn’t the man for relegated Sheff United, it will be a much higher standard now.

I can see him staying. He's a club trained player, so it makes sense for European squad. He can score goals, he's young. If Duran wasn't acting the mick, I could see him leaving alright but he was pretty cheap for what we get and I imagine the wages are small.

Duran is making a huge mistake, he's 20 and Watkins is 29 this year. He is almost guaranteed more time year on year with a good chance to become first choice in 3-4 years with tons of playing time in between plus European experience. The way he's going on, you'd imagine he was top notch. He got 13 mins at the whole Copa America.

• Advertisement

There is the story I was waiting for - proposalsubmitted to Maximilian Beier and the club is ready to activate his release clause.

The reports are saying that Chelsea are in the same situation but this is on the same day where there has been a lot of talk of them taking Oshimen on loan for the year with a buy option as part of them giving Napoli Lukaku.

Being reported this would not affect our pursuit of Felix also.

Mateta the latest name being linked. Remember the days when Villa fans thought that Smith Rowe was being signed as a statement of intent. Now he’s off to Fulham and nobody else wanting near it.

In an unusual move Romano has come out to go against this report and say that Villa are not in negotiations for him. It had been reported by Florian Plettenberg who I thought was one of the better ones particularilly for German footballers although technically he did say that neither Villa nor Chelsea were in negotiations with Hoffenheim and that they were gauging the players interest first with the implication being they would be triggering a release clause (25m iirc) anyway so there would not really be negotiations with the club.

I thought I read somewhere that Beier's release clause had expired? I could be wrong on that.

Ben Chrisene sold to Norwich for 1.5m

Anyone seen Kortney Hause?

Nearly two years without a game and multiple knee surgeries. I think he'll be happy to kick a ball in anger for anyone again never mind the Villa .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

great article in the Athletic about the making of the kit video. Loved this gem about Geezer Butler.

article is here if you have a subscription-
    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5665310/2024/07/30/aston-villa-ozzy-osbourne-geezer-butler-new-kit/?source=user_shared_article

Actually just realised I have five 30 day guest passes on my account. If anyone wants a code PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

A red card in a friendly is just idiocy.

I made the mistake to stay up for this. Went to bed at half time.

• Advertisement

I really hope he is moved on and improved upon in this window.

He has been linked to Fulham or a return to Sevilla but nothing with huge substance. Either another CB (not many have been strongly linked recently even links to the more left sided Hermoso have gone quiet) or a RB meaning Konsa would be 100% a center back would definitely need to be signed if Carlos was to leave though.

Not sure if it's significant but he's not in the squad tonight. I don't think that suspensions are imposed for friendlies so I would have expected him there. Our lack of depth showing by the fact that Bogarde is starting.

Another very poor display on the US tour. It's been a reality check. Beaten in all three games, and looked second best every time. Scored one goal and conceded seven. Tonight and what I saw of the other matches, our sloppiness in possession is a real worry. No composure from any players, rushed passes, retreating backwards under pressure and playing ourselves into trouble. It's not just the new players who are struggling either.

I am certainly getting concerned about how far off the pace we are with two weeks left until the new season. Yes we have Martinez, Konsa and Watkins to come back, but God help us, if any of those gets injured.

It will take a lot to make me anxious this year. Last year it started out with a pumping at St James. Things improved a small bit there.

Bryan Cristante and Joe Gomez the latest links. Cristante as a Carlos replacement who can also be another backup DM (especially until Kamara is back, no need for the Phillips loan) could make sense especially if he could be gotten cheaply as he is apparently being let go by Roma but I tend to be sceptical of almost any italian links these days and with regards Gomez, very good player and versatile but I don't think Villa would pay the fee Liverpool would probably ask for even though he probably won't be in their first 11. Like Cristante though I could see the logic in him replacing Carlos otherwise as he like Konsa would be able to cover both RCB and RB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Any predictions for the new season?

Post edited by orourkeda1 on

https://www.orourkeda.blog

Wait, this was a reply to the longer post before you edited it

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

https://www.orourkeda.blog

Champions League is the biggest factor in how we perform this season unlike the Conference we will need to be putting out our strongest teams having said that hopefully we might not have such short turnarounds between games. Despite the loss of Luiz and Diaby I think Unai has brought more quality in to the squad and has another years experience at Villa.

I’m going for 4th again but it would also be good to see a decent cup run.

• Advertisement

Villa get out of the "group" in the CL but then get eliminated, go further in one of the cups but don't get to the business end of things and then come 5th in the league which this year does nab a CL spot is my prediction.

Very hard to tell this year and I really don't think we are done in the transfer window yet. Expecting at least 1 attacking player but depending on outgoings their could still be more.

Speaking of outgoings Dobbin to West Brom and Feeney to Shrewsbury both on loan / have been done. Still gotta wonder if the likes of Carlos, Dendoncker and a LB will find bidders and will someone new show interest in Duran, or will he perhaps change his mind on Saudi.

Talk of Digne to Galatasaray on loan. I was actually expecting him to start the opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I won’t be heartbroken if Duran stays. He’s a good option in that position, he’s just a clown.

I am a little concerned about this season tbh. We don’t have any momentum to bring in from last year - we’ve been on a downward trajectory since February. It was as well we put our run together early last year. Don’t really care about preseason results, more worried about how little time Emery has had with the full squad thanks to international commitments.

I’d not have a problem with Duran being kept on but I would like another no.10 type option. The obvious candidate atm is Felix but either he’s waiting to be sure Barca aren’t going to come back for him or we are trying to negotiate some sort of loan with a buy option instead of paying out what Atletico want for him.

Maatsen has to be our starting LB but the question is do Villa want to accept what is apparently a loan with with no fee nor buying clause inserted but wages covered from Galatasaray. I’d imagine they’d prefer a sale as it’d avoid having to try to move him on again next summer, bring in some cash and get him off the books wage wise.

I've seen it said that Digne quickly replied to the post about him having agreed to sign for the Turkish side via X. He wrote “Sorry but no true”

rare you'd see something like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Why would it be addressed to Monchi? Surely official documentation uses his real name?

I thought that was odd but Digne's agent has confirmed the interest from Galatasaray but says that he is they turned down the offer.

“I can confirm that there has been interest from Galatasaray - and also interest from other clubs, like there is interest in every transfer window for a player of Lucas’ class,"

"Lucas has said 'no thank you' and is only focused on Aston Villa, so there has certainly not been any agreements made, like rumours have falsely claimed."

We're finishing 3rd this season. I

Kaine Kesler Hayden gone out on loan to Preston. That leaves Cash, Kosta and I suppose Konsa as RBs. I would really like to an upgrade on Cash, and to see Konsa permanently at CB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement