Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

1878889909193»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

@TaurenDruid

Another interesting question might be:

• Have you moved location / bought a home on a presumption that WFH would continue to be available to you?

Thinking of the bigger picture (as some of us do) one of the good things that came out of the pandemic was WFH. It opened up options to CS all over the country to live and work from where they choose, and not just having all commuting and crowding into offices in main centres and competing to rent / buy homes there.

I personally know more than a few who bought in their home counties, including one person whose HQ was in Dublin but they bought a house in Cork (though subsequently resigned when not allowed to continue WFH 5 days a week when we returned to offices) and another who commutes from their new house in Sligo to Dublin once a week. Off the top of my head, I can think of other staff who commute in from Limerick, Wexford, Cavan and Galway.

If WFH was suddenly withdrawn, and everyone who is commuting in was ordered back to spending four days a week in the office, it would cause CHAOS.

(As an aside, should we maybe put ideas for questions on the Survey thread?!?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

But it is actually a fairly radicial statement. It would be like suggesting Civil Service Departments will put a halt to flexi time becusse that isnt widely available in the private sector. Career breaks, flexi, shorter working year, split working patterns, exam leave, study leave etc are all available in the civil service while not being as widely availablein the private sector. Working for home will be the exact same. In future, it is likely a four day worning week will he common in tje civil service before it is in the private sector. Traditionally, the civil/public service has always been the trend setter forpositive work/life balance initiatives that are then introduced in the privete sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

WFH and 4 day working week was in the private sector before the civil service so not sure what your on about. Anyway I hope I’m wrong and wfh is here to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Indeed.

And as with most of these things you mention, you'll find it was the Public Sector who did it first, and then was followed by (some) of the Private Sector - not the other way around.

And WFH has been available in the Civil Service since 2003. They called it "e-working" when I applied for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

They certainly weren't for the majority in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Not sure what the situation is in other departments, but here in CSO we're still in pilot phase, with year two ending on October 31st. Remaining at two days per week on site for next few months.

Post edited by curiosity on

Advertisement