Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countering Trump

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If you feel any of that is an incorrect assertion, please feel free to share. It's not a character assassination, it's an accurate assessment of who he is. The Biden campaign has been consistent in its messaging with respect to the economy. The sentiment among the US's allies couldn't be clearer as to their opinions of a 2nd Trump presidency. If Biden shares the stage with him for a debate, I would hope he hammers him repeatedly about his many, many criminal actions. Trump gets let off the hook constantly by the media, they don't push him to answer for what he's done. Biden needs to shut up and give Trump enough rope to hang himself.

Everytime Biden opens his mouth, he's risking disaster at this point, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't mean 'character assassination' as in any of it is wrong, I mean it as a method of politicking. You're trying to kill the candidacy by attacking, even if justifiably, his character.

How many people, at least in the swing voter category (let's ignore Trump acolytes because they're not exactly in play), are unaware of the above characterisation of Trump, do you think? Yet the polling is pretty damned clear that it's not having as much of an effect as you might like. They are leaning to Trump for some reason regardless. Even if they are unaware of Trump's character (which I obviously doubt), that's not a reason for a voter to lean in Trump's direction.

Why are people polling for Trump, either in ignorance of, or lack of concern for, his character?

I submit that that is the tack which is going to have more of a benefit, not continuing to repeat 'ad nauseum' something which very obviously isn't having much of an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

In a discussion with a young U.S voter recently,they said they were voting for the lesser of 2 evils

I took that to mean Trump or it could have meant Biden ,I did not ask

With Harris (any relation to Simon ? 😁) now in the picture,do ya know,it's wide open,her productive rights question at one of Trumps supreme court nominee's hearings was iconic 'Sir do you know any point of U.S law that takes control of mens bodies ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭csirl

Most posters are concentrating on attacking Trump. A negative campaign.

The way to beat him is to run a positive campaign that ignores him completely. Set out a positive image of the future if your candidate is elected. Make people feel that voting for your candidate will improve their lives and give them hope.

Voters themselves will notice the contrast with a negative campaign which paints a picture of America being a battleground going forward. You dont need to point this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

There is no point even trying to reach hardcore MAGA cult and Trump himself is busy alienating the normal wing of the Republican Party and going ever more extreme

Target them and the policies they care about

As for Trump, troll him, he can barely contain himself, get him to implode and go off on his old man shouting at clouds rants

Gunk up the the hardcore MAGAs with so much non important crap that their heads implode and they get distracted from the prize which is those few dozen thousand people in key swing states that will win this election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'm fully behind the Democrats line of attack about pointing out how weird Donald Trump and JR Vance are.

They're pointedly not calling his supporters weird, just the two dudes. Which is smart for those that haven't been brainwashed.

By all means, there's no point trying to even reach out to the MAGA faithful, but there's a lot more that aren't out there and they are doing a fine job just pointing out how weird a Trump presidency was.

Fast food buffet for athletes in the White House WAS weird. I also thought today, wouldn't it have been stone cold?

The Christmas decorations they had in the white house. Every year. Very weird. Not traditional, not warming. And they constantly say there's a war on Christmas! Yeah, by weirdos like Trump and Melania 😂

JD Vance and his "give kids votes for their parents" announcements. That's such a weird idea.

There's just a litany of weird stuff from them and they're gonna give them so much ammo over the next three months. Trump and Vance can't help themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You mentioned the word troll there - isn’t the way to beat a troll to ignore them? If you start to get into tit for tat arguements Shirley he’ll win in the long run - in addition, Harris or indeed most career politicians can’t play that game very well - they’ve campaigned on an issues basis all of their lives - mud slinging and the stuff Trump comes out with are all from the troll playbook- very clever stuff written by very clever people - you’d need to be on top of your game to nail them - my advice would be just go a different route- “it’s the economy stupid” and such like

Won't work. Ignoring them gives them bizarro ammo of, "see, they have nothing to say" and we live in the bizarro now.

It'll be much more effective to say,

"Ok ya little weirdo. You think that's a normal thing to say...? Anyways, as we were saying..." Etc.

The Dems seem to be going down "the give em' enough rope" route

you already look weak name calling - sorry 🤪

She doesn’t have to do it herself, Harris and whoever her VP is can focus on an “adult” campaign

But as her “theoretical advisor” as per OP I would recommend this

There is an army of young people who absolutely hate everything Trump stands for and view him and his cult for what they are, old backwards authoritarians who want to destroy democracy and bring in something resembling Handmaidens Tale crossed with modern oligarchic dystopia that is Russia

These are the people who already it seems started to destroy Trump and Vance on social media with memes and jokes that obliterate the demented and senile Trump and couch f**king Vance

This btw is the same approach likes of NAFO have used against Russian troll farms, make fun of them and expose their stupidity and poke holes in their inconsistencies in the process tying these trolls up in knots.

• Advertisement

That's fine, I don't really care 😂

It's just pointing it out and moving on.

You know people will be more comfortable talking around the water cooler about how weird something is, instead of talking about how stupid/criminal/wrong something is.

I’ll tell ya what I did like- The Nappy Trump effigy - I thought that was brilliant- a picture paints a thousand words and that was classic

wouldn’t bother - it just brings Harris down to his level - and Trump knows that - let their supporters troll each other on social media but Harris should keep above all of that.

If Kelly is picked as VP he’ll have a field day talking grown up things like the military - he can blow Trumps policies out of the water with legitimate background experience - no less sending off soldiers to certain death where he dodged the draft himself - things can get difficult for Trump and he knows it

And his combat reporter sidekick, Boy Bumble. I look forward to the VP debate if Kelly is picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I was going to say "Isn't that just preaching to the converted" but maybe that's the way to go at this stage. There's probably only a very small handful of genuine 'swing voters' out there and it's hard to know how Harris could truly 'reach out' to them without drastically diluting her message. Biden succeeded in swaying just about enough of those 'undecideds' in the swing states but Harris might be better advised to go all in on 'rallying the base'…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

1. Trump's reliance on Israel money (no big claims about special interests anymore) He's just another politician.
    2. Focus on Israel (NB)🎓️
    3. Miriam Adelson🤔
    4. Let JD Vance open his mouth (working already)
    5. He doesn't deliver on his promises. Didn't achieve anything in his 1st term (Wall will be 10ft higher, what wall?????)

As an “imaginary campaign manager” for Harris I have identified few groups, each need their separate approaches

• ex Biden voters, these need to be treated with respect and reassured that the Bidenomics ship stay on course
    • Single cat ladies, thanks to Vance a whole new category was created, get Taylor Swift endorsement
    • double haters, these hated both Biden and Trump mainly for their age, appeal to this new segment in this election and point out Trumps age and lack of energy and declining mental state, they might still hate Harris but great potential in getting them to vote for least hated candidate
    • undecided, mythical unicorns who somehow haven’t decided maybe due to being too busy working, address their primary issues which are economy, border and abortion in that order
    • Disgruntled centrist republicans who hate Trump, make it clear that trump moved far to the loony right and your policies more closely align with them
    • MAGA cult, troll them and tie them up in knots for months and keep them off ball and distracted (see hoopla over Paris) and more importantly trigger Trump and Vance to say even more **** that play well for getting other categories above

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't see how Harris benefits significantly from taking a stronger line on Israel, as most Israel-critical Americans are already in the Dems' corner. The only erstwhile Trump voters she might attract that way are the likes of these guys

and if she went hard enough sway them she'd surely alienate a big chunk of centre-ground opinion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I got an email from Trump offering me a limited edition cap for the 2024 election campaign.

It looks extremely gaudy and trashy, but I did not click on the link for obvious reasons so I do not know the price.

The slogan was new - 'Get America Back' - but from where?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How would I know? It is just weird.

And how did they get my email address? That is weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Next you'll be recieving robo-calls on your smartphone from the Trump campaign Sam!

I do not think they have my phone number. I don't even remember my mobile number.

Advertisement