Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mindhorn

Eventually awarded the points exactly 35 days later!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭TheBetsy

Hi all, I know Saver fares on sale always earn half Tier Credits (7.5 instead of 15), but is this also the case for Plus and Advantage Fares? Or do they always earn the full 25 and 40 even when there is a sale on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Plus and advantage always earn full credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

thee should be an option to pay the full fare and get the full credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

If its 1point per euro spent, how are you getting 12,000 points per 1000 spend ?

Demand deposit, not really a major difference between the Metal 3% when DIRT is so high.

Additionally, cashback is disappearing since you posted this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Poster said €1k per month - hence 12,000 points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

correct

The samsung revolut estore is 15 rev points Per euro spent,so 14000 Rev points meaning 15000 avios in one purchase there at the moment on a €1000 phone purchase

22.5k avios on a samsung ultra approximately

Many more in the list,tap the lifestyle tab if you are on ultra

Post edited by pureza on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Noxegon

You'd need to pay me more than that to buy a Samsung phone :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm looking at a trip to Japan in December and looking for guidance from here on how best to use what I have.

I have Concierge status with Aer Lingus until end April and 4x Business class upgrades & 100k avios at the moment

I have Platinum status with KLM & Air France.

Any bright ideas as to how I can best use these travel tools to do a comfortable trip to Japan?

Thanks!

that's great but why would i want a samsung phone. Rich people use iPhones :-D

I see what you meant that 1,000 spend a month would be 12,000 points a year (if not using the online shops to get some bonuses). On stays, 12,000 revpoints looks to be worth around 200€. From what I see every hotel on stays is more expensive that agoda or booking.com. Also the stays booking system is a disaster, can't even edit a booking or make changes.

You mentioned Nord VPN worth 100€. Revolut gives the 'plus subscription', its worth around 70€ and with all the discounts going constantly with norvpn you can get it for about 40€. Metal users also get this anyways, so not a reason to upgrade from Metal to Ultra.

Metal users also get Tinder gold and FT.

I find it hard to justify upgrading from Metal to Ultra, a 400€ upgrade. 1000€ a month spending on Metal will be 6000 Revpoints in the year, not really a significant difference.

Looks to me that the 400 difference is really to pay for DragonPass which costs around 400.

Post edited by cagefactor on

• Advertisement

Actually,I usually use the maldron Dublin airport on stays,same price as their website

I'd rarely use booking.com or the likes as you get better value & perks in my experience using travel agents that are members of the likes hyatt privé,four seasons preferred partner,and various other brand promotion tools plus still pay with Revolut and get the points

The metal benefits certainly have improved into a sort of ultra light but they're not as good and aren't as many

The cancel for any reason insurance means I put all travel spend through ultra and take the points

6000 avios is worth about €160 but of course you can buy avios on 50% off offers and pay with rev getting some more

The way to look at avios imho is its a savings policy for trips you might take,its extremely useful subject to availability if fares are high or a last minute booking

But caution urged as airlines devalue them on a whim lately

As for dragonpass,I'm using that on all trips,its dead handy

Ymmv,but I've done my own maths on ultra vs metal ,you do yours

you do get better value if travelling a lot

If you don't get use of the add ons,or find metal is where cost equals return for you but not beyond,'m not recomnending ultra

Apple lost me at the 6S btw,when it used turn off if it got too cold or too hot 😱

Worst phone I ever had

It'll be a while before I try them again

Plus of course they'll need to triple the Rev points on that E store

I bow to your expertise. What would I need in Avios for a return trip to the US with Aer Lingus ? Is spending Avios on flights the best thing to do or use them hotel stays ? I have about 75,000 points at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Price can vary by destination etc

Just log onto your Avios account and put in some dummy bookings - you'll see availability and cost with various levels of your points applied its a 5 minute task and way more accurate then Boards supplying random destinations and points totals.

You definitely have enough points though, just down to availability and the amount they will charge you for taxes (compare to the Aer Lingus site for current cost of same ticket too).

I would not use on hotels, I find Avios to be poor value there - however, again, get the current rate for the hotels being offered and make a comparison.

You've nearly enough for a return in business class to East coast USA,you just need about 30k more

If you are sourcing the avios via E stores,revolut,boost (on BA) or buying in the sales that appear on QR,EI or BA during the year,then ex taxes,you will be paying less than the comnercial fare

The only issue is finding seats

You can transit the UK on BA or AA flights if their availability suits better but always have a Dublin flight starting on the same ticket

Do not start the outbound in London as you will be caught for UK APD which is Saucy

As it is I'd book an outbound or the return sector now if theres availability that suits and worry about the return later when it turns up

You can fly in to one city and out of another

No issues there as the avios part of the tickets is fully refundable

So for example if you want to visit new york,fly into philadelphia if needs be and take the short hop on the train up

Or Boston

Loads of ways to skin the cat so to speak

Never seen this, I thought you had to call them to do that?

sorry, I meant they should develop the site to allow that, not that there is a way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Probably just book dublin-japan on BA with EI as the Dublin London leg and use your avios to upgrade the BA flights. You might be able to use the lounge in Dublin with your EI concierge status (though technically it'll be a BA flight number). Your free EI upgrades can only be used on EI flights. Potentially you'd get upgraded to Aerspace on the Dublin London flight if it's the A321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Conc upgrades not allowed on AerSpace seats, tried, refusal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Possibly dumb one, how come when i log in through app, it doesnt give me family first discount, but gives me extra option to use more avios on points, yet on browser, same account, I DO get the family first discount, but it wont let me use the more avios…

Seems like a get-you-somehow system

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Macrophage 449

Hi, does anyone know if Silver Aerclub membership can grant you access to United's Polaris lounges at IAD/EWR?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

No EI use the British Airways Lounge at EWR and IAD.

Flight delayed and the (not very good) replacement lounge at LHR is full. 🙃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Maybe it's just me but the idea of queuing for a lounge defeats the purpose as you know it's going to be packed inside. I have been there a few times over the past few months and it's never been great. I think the EI lounge will reopen soon so it will be interesting to see what they have changed, hopefully better AC anyway!

Yup, same as that. Once I saw the queue I abandoned it. They were operating a virtual queue system which would ping you when a space opened up.

It's really not very nice in there anyway, quite busy all the time and the furniture isn't the cleanest. Just an annoying experience with a flight delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That virtual queue should only be for third party paid lounge access (priority pass, dragonpass).

If you have EI entitlement you should not be part of the virtual queue unless it's 100% full and then you should be one of the first (right after their own paid customers).

But it's getting out of hand, there are always queues in several lounges these days, the new aspire in Amsterdam is another example.

Too many people having entitlement and too many people having paid lounge access programs.

There are changes coming down the line for the BOI Aer Credit Card.

From October, Free flights, Lounge Passes and Fast track/Priority Boarding are being removed and instead once an increased €10K spending threshold is reached, 40K avios will be rewarded. Additionally, purchases on non Aer Lingus products will increase from 1 Avios per €4 to €1 Avios per €3.

Crap changes imo, the availability of reward flights on EI these days is nothing short of atrocious. All holiday destinations have just 4 seats available now compared to 8 previously, Additionally all availability is blacked out for the forthcoming 6 weeks.

To add insult to injury, the threshold is being doubled to €10k p.a.

There has been tonnes of transatlantic availability on BA lately and its very easy to transfer your avios into

Loads of business class and wt+ to miami and capetown amongst others

You are losing out BIGTIME if you stick to just EI availability

Your EI avios is just as good on the other IAG airlines

I booked business class DUB LHR MEX return yesterday on BA for example

Agreed and I have used my Avios to book BA and QR flights but that doesnt change the fact EI have severly dumbed down availability at a time when there have probably never been more people collecting avios and looking to book reward flights through Aer Club. The majority of people in Ireland holiday in Europe and thus Aer Lingus direct flights to Europe will always remain the most in demand from locals. Using avios for a Club World or WT+ flight to the US isn't always going to be worth it when in the end, you'll end up spending 3x or 4x what you would have spent in any country in Europe on a holiday.

Just out of curiosity, how much avios did that itinerary set you back?

at first look it doesn’t seem great, I suspect they did it as it was manual to issue the free flights, this way you leverage the reward booking system. 40,000 is a lot though and could get you a few trips more than the 2 free (availability pending). The loss of the free lounge and fast pass seems petty to me.

the increase in Avios from 1 per 4 to 1 per 3 is good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

40k is 5x off-peak return trips to zone 1; there are some (maybe only one) destination where its not two peak returns like you could get before

If they add the cards two seats a flight to the avios reward availability, with the vastly easier booking process, I'm OK with this. Chances of that are tiny though.

Advertisement