Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

Tyrone were in 5 semi finals in the previous 8 years before 2021 and had also lost the 2018 final to probably a Dublin team that were at their best, I think 2018 was the peak of the Dublin 6 in a row team. They blew everyone away that year.

Tyrone have lost a lot of players since their 2021 win. McNamee, McKenna, McCann, Mark Bradley. Meyler and Kieran McGeary have played much either in the last two years. So really tis a completely different Tyrone now to the one that was there in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Do people actually think, player for player, Mayo were the better team than Tyrone in 2021? I don't think there was much between the two teams, with Tyrone probably shading it with the players at their disposal. I recall Mayo being unable to put in a full 70 mins in any game that year (awful against both Galway and Dublin in the first half s. Dublin really let that second half and ET be played foolishly on Mayo terms - i.e chaos)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Westernview

Regardless of how many semi-finals Tyrone played Hennelly, Keegan, Durcan, Coen. Ruane, Loftus, Doc, AOS, K. McLoughlin had experience of multiple final appearances. A number of the younger crew played in the 2020 final also. It wasn't a lack of experience that lost that final for us.

Refereeing decisions, curses, sideline tactics, inexperience, injuries, sending offs…we can keep adding to the list of excuses but 13 final appearances since 1989 and 14 changes in management but no win suggests the issue is with our players. In my opinion it's an ingrained lack of ruthlessness to finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

Let's at Galway and Padraic Joyce.

2021 - Lost Connacht Final.

2022 - Lost the AIF.

2023 - Lost League Final.

2024 - Lost another AIF.

At what point do Galway start to be questioned and get even a fraction that of the abuse and negative commentary that we get? Answer: Never, because they're the aristocrats of football. 🙄 Walsh, Comer etc. have all sh*t the bed now too many times but will still be lauded as great footballers. Galway still be favourites for Connacht next year and be picked to win Sam by many. Absolute joke! They got extremely lucky this year, can't see them getting as lucky again.

Congrats to Armagh, by far the better team, more organised, played well and deserved the win. No way will McGeeney walk away, he'll want to put everything into getting an Ulster title next year.

As for ourselves, if anything this year showed that we are not far away if we could get all our players fit and get a better management team because McStay is taking us nowhere. We would have been destroyed in a QF this year. I don't think he deserves another year for taking us backward at a rate of knots because the CB are spineless so will give him one. Regardless of him having another 2 years left on his term, I think the dogs on the street know and believe that it's either Sam or a P45 for him next year. If not, then another group will have retired without winning the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭elefant

• Advertisement

Galway players are getting plenty of stick dont worry.

Yeah just get new Mayo management in that'll sort it.

I've been hearing 'we're not far away' since 89. Meanwhile Donegal, Derry, Down, Armagh, Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Tyrone and Meath come and pick up all irelands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

There'll continue to be very little between Galway and Mayo for the foreseeable and in fairness we won't get a better chance to win an All-Ireland than yesterday. We as a county will need to take our beating but no amount of slagging will feel worse than knowing that we left an All Ireland behind us. Even in Connacht the Rossies are well able to put it up to both counties and Sligo will be interesting in terms of how their talented U-20's shape up at senior.

I think Dublin still have All-Irelands in them and would have them slightly above the chasing pack. The tier below is Kerry, Derry, Armagh, Galway, Mayo and Donegal. There's nothing between those six counties but I'd expect Donegal, Derry & Kerry to be much improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Squatman

you will have to read that one back to yourself. if we put two people on him, then hes not elite. keep reading it until it sinks in

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Any truth in Rochford coming to Kildare, is he gone from Kevin's management team?

Where did you hear that or is it just an unsubstantiated rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Probably just an unsubstantiated rumour to be honest, but there are rumorus in Kildare that he is going to be on Flanno's management team. I don't see why you would leave Mayo to come to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭PressRun

I do think there'll be a shake up in the Mayo management. Who the departures will be or where they'll go, I do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Would Rochford out, Moran in be all too obvious? Not that I would be in favour of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Depends on if Andy sees himself as a coach or a manager - if he sees himself as a manager, then I doubt he'd take a job as a coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

It seems to be a Connacht thing. Just show up at an AI final with no proper plan or strategy, especially if things go sideways such as an injury to a key player. Its a shame Connacht GAA don't focus more on coaching excellence, decision making and the like. Its time for Connacht counties to put differences aside and push on and win AIs.

Playing a nice brand of football will get you so far, but when you get to an AI final the coaching team have to get everything right and be masterful tacticians. Time and time again the coaching ticket for teams from the West collapse in AI finals. Its a pattern at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭MacDanger

"Its time for Connacht counties to put differences aside"

WTF are you on about 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Mayo and Galway should amalgamate to win an All-Ireland

I do think this could be in the pipeline. Can't say I'd be in favour. Not sure I rate Moran as a management type, even if he might be a great motivator.

I'm of the same view. More of a forwards coach or selector I'd see him as. Not a manager/strategist role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭muddle84

IS it harsh to base an opinion on his book and say that I don't think Moran would be ruthless enough to be a good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think the fact that New York beat Leitrim even if it went to penalties is enough to say no. While he was an exceptional footballer, as a manager he has not done anything that suggest he should warrant inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

You could have levelled the same criticism about Donaghy being included in the Armagh setup. Sometimes there is a place for a particular set of skills in a setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

True but we should be looking for someone who has significant experience. The difference is Donaghy first stent has resulted in a team wining the All Ireland. He also has all ireland medals so he has a profile that is different. I think Donaghy value has risen based on them winning the all ireland while the opposite for Andy. Andy jumped straight into inter county managment rather than doing the selector role and should have went the selector role with a top team rather than what he did. Donaghy seems to have a plan to build a profile for himself and potentially go for the Kerry job. I don't think Andy is what we need at this point in time imo. I would have McDonald over him if there was a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭flasher0030

There is no way a rookie manager like Andy would make any difference to the Mayo team, than the current management group are doing. We have some good players but no really good player. Our lads will work hard, but in reality are not that creative. I don't think we have any forward who can kick comfortably of both feet, which is a huge advantage for the great forwards who are playing the game. Our lads don't look like they have the overall confidence grab a game by the scruff of the neck, and battle it over the line. Quite the opposite in the past few months. Let the Galway match., the Derry match, and the Dublin match slip away.

I think the only way for the Mayo team to make progress is by one of the really top managers to come in - Jim McGuinness, Jim Gavin etc. I know that won't happen, but I just think the ordinary run-of-the-mill manager won't make any difference based on the players that we have. I would put Mayo in the likely to reach a quarter final category for most years. But unlikely to reach a semi-final unless they got a handy draw.

Even if they got a handy draw, I wouldn't be confident. They have a habit of playing to the level of the opposition a lot of the time. and frankly, the psychology of the current group is really poor imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was actually going to comment that several sessions with a psychologist would not go amiss. I never really believed in that sort of stuff, and I still don't know how it really works. But I see some teams like Donegal and Armagh. And they demand the ball, and seem confident in what they can do. Probably over-confident. But our lads don't seem to be able to match that determination and ambition. I know they go out and do their best. But there are many many times in games where they makes half-assed runs for the ball. Kinda like - "I'm showing for the ball, but I don't really want it, because I am not confident of getting a shot off".

• Advertisement

I agree. You can see the hesitation in real time when they're on the ball, especially around shooting. Some of that I'm sure is down to coaching and all this "high percentage", overly cautious stuff going around nowadays, but I also think a lot of it just self-esteem, bottle and leadership. When it's in the melting pot it's usually the older Horan-era lads who try to take responsibility - Aidan, Cillian, etc.. For all Horan's failings as a manager, I do think he instilled a sense of confidence in the players who came up under him. Not sure the younger crowd really have it, aside from maybe Ryan O'Donoghue.

Advertisement