Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

Carlos Sainz to Williams just confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I do hope this rebuilding at Williams continues for Carlos, he deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Exciting line up for them next year with Albon.

Officially we have the following left to fill, right?

• Mercedes 1 seat
    • Alpine 1 seat
    • Sauber 1 seat
    • VCARB 1 seat

Kimi Antonelli for Mercedes, Lawson to VCARB for rest of 2024 (with Ricciardo taking Perez's seat), Bottas to keep the Sauber seat now and that leaves Alpine left?

Or am I having a brain fart and missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Joeface

finally the missing appendix of Williams …I missing piece of williams 2025

Sauber Audi with Hulkenberg and Bottas is a decent pairing given the careers both drivers have had.

In starting out it is probably better to have all the experience in the seats , having Bottas still there familiar with everyone in the team makes the most sense .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I hope it works out for Carlos at Williams and that they can be competitive from next year on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

On track, Williams have only gone backwards since James Vowles took over. I know he keeps talking a big game about rebuilding and the media love him, but there has been zero genuine evidence that his rebuilding is actually going to bear any fruit.

They've failed to even turn up with adequate parts to field two cars at some events. This was blamed on legacy systems rather than Vowles of course, but they always managed with those legacy systems before. Meanwhile in the standings they've fallen well behind teams like Haas and RB who they had been much more competitive with in previous seasons and they currently only stand ahead of Sauber, who will be expecting a big Audi boost in the coming years.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems like a terrible place for a driver of Sainz's talent to end up. It seems like madness that he hasn't ended up in that Mercedes seat as he has the talent to mount a championship challenge in that car. The team will struggle a lot more if they're depending on Russell to be a team leader alongside a rookie who still hasn't exactly set the world on fire in F2.

Red Bull won't look outside their bubble, so they're out, Mercedes Benz are fixed on Antonelli, they're out, McLaren have Norris and Piastri tied up, they're out, Aston Martin won't throw out Stroll so that's another door closed, Alpine are all over the place at admin level, VCarb are in said Red Bull bubble, Haas are tied up and Sauber Audi are after rejigging before they've even started. Williams is the most stable seat available right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Cannot understand how Sainz hasn't ended up at Merc. Seemed like a simple match to make. Antonelli is 17, leave him in F2. A driver as good as Sainz being at a team as bad as Williams is disastrous. Even Alpine would have been better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Probably the best option for him? Yeah Audi are coming and will bring lots of money with them but Sauber are a complete mess this year. How that venture will turn out is very much up in the air. They've got Hulkenberg who is the most underrated driver on the grid imo but rumours suggest he wasn't happy at the recent rejigging of staff where Andreas Seidl left / got sacked as that was apparently one of the main reasons he got on board with them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

4 or 5 years ago williams missed first 2 days of testing because the production planning was awful. Isn't that why Paddy Lowe got the chop??

Vowles is undoing probably a lot of years of bad practice. Williams have made strides forward in last few years but it's taken McLaren what, 12 years to get back competitive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

If Adrian Newey sides to return to Williams. Well, Carlos move might be a classic master struck. But I feel it's a very small chance.

Carlos Onoro could have got him a better seat. Mercedes, If he had Eddie Jordon in my mind he would've got him in a top team even in the Red Bull.

Then again maybe Carlos Onoro knows something but cant say. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

On track, Williams have only gone backwards since James Vowles took over.

Vowles took over last year. In 2022 they finished last with 8 points. Last year they finished 7th with 28 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I wonder is it a 1 + 1 contract as its a risk for Sainz going there. Having two quality drivers is what Williams needs, they wasted enough time on useless drivers like Sargeant and Latifi

Ehhh, Williams have been getting better since he took over. They were absolutely nowhere, and I mean nowhere, a few years ago. He has transformed how the factory operates, and they have been pretty open about how that has impacted the expected performance on the track.

They are also tiny compared to other teams in terms of their operations, the factory is old. The legacy systems and processes in place are indeed why they were/are still a bit behind. That has to be fixed in order for the on track results to come.

I think you might be a bit unfair on Vowels in particular, but he is showing his worth and knowledge.

This video goes into the details of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

According to a Horner statement this evening, Checo is staying at RedBull for the rest of the season

Congratulations to McLaren for securing their first Constructors championship since 1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

They finished 7th with a car that was designed and built before he took over. Now with a car that fully has his stamp on it they’re 9th, and they’re not even close to the teams they were competitive with previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Well if that's the case it shows that the team are in inner turmoil of the powers within. Looks like to many chiefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

New Red Bull motto: Better the devil you know than the other devil you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Surprised Checo is being kept on, would say he's nearly disappointed himself as game can't be enjoying driving the car at the moment.

Ricciardo just doesn't offer any certainty that he'd be an improvement and Tsunoda is too unpredictable

Very surprised that Checo is staying, perhaps the payout was too big to give him the boot?

As well as the increased security costs the team would incur in Mexico and possibly COTA

Hahaha, you make a terrifyingly valid point there.

Williams have been poor for a while. It takes some time to turn that around. 2026 is the fair season to judge their efforts.

I get the impression from Vowles that they are focused on 2026 rule changes and making major changes to everything in their structure to ensure they get a clear run at it next year. Kinda similar to Haas in 2021.

Its not just factory etc. Personnel are key too. Aston Martin seem to be in a similar mode now too with their new factory/2026 taking precedence but they both have one similar problem... A crap driver (Stroll/Sargeant)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭klose

Giving how cutthroat RedBull were with Gasly and Albon it’s pretty surprising Perez is staying on, at the moment he’s offering nothing to their constructors title ambitions and doesn’t offer anything to race strategies in helping Max with covering over/undercuts.

I guess the devil you know saying is being applied here, perhaps it’s really not as great a package we all thought it was and Max is just driving the wheels off it?

Mclaren and Merc have made huge strides, Ferrari, no idea what's going on with them. They seem to be drifting a little. The Mclaren issue is still under investigation so be interesting to see what comes of that.

Merc would have caught up in latter half of 2022 but for the budget cap.

Aston need to nail it in 2026 after the investments in the factory etc. Could make 2026 intriguing.

RedBull losing some of the wind tunnel time over the budget cap issue might be biting them bit too.

I listened to the race podcast last night and they were suggesting that it's possible that Perez is only getting a reprieve for another few races, there's another bit of a break after Singapore, and Perez has been good at Azerbaijan and Singapore in the past. They seem to think that if he's failing still after the next 4 faces he could be out then.

It is odd how they seem to have lost their cutthroat-ness alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wonder of it's more difficult to reach a consensus since the ownership parts of Red Bull turned on each other.

Advertisement