Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Yeah the dup would be big into " traditional values,families" etc. What's this the name of their previous leader was, oh yeah, Sir Jeffrey Donaldson!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess we can't properly discuss the conjecture in the OP if the thread is going to be bogged down by those in denial of the obvious.

You mean this OP?

Not sure why you insist upon name-checking such an egregious case of pretty extreme social illiberalism as a launchpad for comparison with FG's own; 'cos yet again, it doesn't match the reality of the party's succesful double-job unsetting that conservatism. It's one thing to speculate about "unionist sympathising" quite another to jump into outright social conservatism.

And maybe there's more to be said about the DUP end of the spectrum rather than whether or how they fit into pre-existing Irish parties. As I said, there's a not unreasonable chance the DUP will have disintegrated into nothing by the time a UI came to pass - the shrinking hardcore Unionist voice taken up by the TUV as the DUP drifted into either the centre or irrelevance. Clearly for a UI to happen in the first place Unionism will have to change its outlook - to that end, the DUP may become a dinosaur.

Though sidebar? That opening post has really Aged Like Milk in light of everything that has come to light about its then leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have already agreed that the DUP might disappear become dinosaurs, but they might also regroup/regain support in the run-up to a UI referendum.

The thread title asks 'In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?'
    It's speculative and that is all it is and what we are doing. If you don't want to do that, fair enough.

Also, I haven't commented on the allegations against the former leader as that is not right, and I think it's wrong to generalise about the party and it's support on that basis. There are undoubtedly many in the DUP and it's support who genuinely believe in the values of the party whether I agree with them or not. After all I voted for FF and FG knowing they had deeply conservative wings. I voted for SF knowing they too have a conservative wing.
    Would SF and FF voters vote for the DUP in future? No, I don't think so for the reasons stated earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whereas you're saying that people like Garret Fitzgerald supposedly had an "affinity with unionism" based on absolutely nothing at all.

This is getting tiresome in the extreme.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

His 'Constitutional Crusade' was designed for them (unionists) principally and at the time he was heavily criticised for that and failing utterly to speak out on behalf of nationalists. He zealously rushed through ill thought out divorce legislation without taking even his own party with him never mind the electorate and it predictably failed.

Like how inviting Donaldson to congress backfired on Varadkar and Coveney (not too long after they were being vilified by the DUP) so too did Garrett's approach's as Unionists came to hate and vilify him him for negotiating the Anglo Irish Agreement etc. Something he believed helped Unionists, you don't believe you are helping people or try to (however misguided) without having an affinity with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

His 'Constitutional Crusade' was designed for them (unionists) principally

Laughable nonsense.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

I think you need to do some research. Start with his Dimbelby lectures where he mapped out his 'crusade' to change Irish law and the constitution and what it's intentions were.

It's a fact that they were designed to make the south more palatable for Unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

I don't think going forward towards a UI,narratives villifying being accomadating towards unionism should be espoused,more especially because increasingly it's more and more what we are going to have to be looking at

Who was villifying?
    Question was posed in the OP and when facts were alluded to the defensiveness started. Even had somebody make assumptions based on religion, not very accommodating is it?

Any future relationships should be based on mutual respect not because we ‘have’ to. Respect is earned.

overtures/niceties extended to unionists historically or now should not be dissed,its on doing so,you enter the territory of disrespect imho

For the record (again) I didn't make assumptions earlier on religion,I gave anecdote that countered yours and I know my understanding to be true

You seem to think my description of protestant affinity down south with their brethern up north is casting aspersions when I clearly stated the opposite

(i'm frankly quite surprised your experience closer to the border is different tbh but there may be a different dynamic in play)

As we don't know each other I'll put earlier differences down to yet another internet misunderstanding and leave it at that

Readers can make of it what they will

• Advertisement

For the record (again) I didn't make assumptions earlier on religion,I gave anecdote that countered yours and I know my understanding to be true

Erskine childers was a protestant and so was Hyde before him both FF figures

Nobody was talking about 'protestants'. Own it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

How has this obvious attempt at a wind up got 10 pages?

You seem to be interested in the tat titting

Not my thing baby

You are trying to undermine what I say by stereotyping religions and by insinuation:

(i'm frankly quite surprised your experience closer to the border is different tbh but there may be a different dynamic in play)

Classic tit for tatting.
    For the record, my experience close to the border sees some Protestants with an affinity to Unionism but not all of them. I don't, like you, make assumptions. Insinuating that there is a different dynamic at play is pathetic.
    Again for the record, I don't have issue with people having Unionist sympathies (I know and deal with such people everday) but I do have a different political outlook.

Unnecessary argument finding much

Of course theres a different dynamic somewhere at play when my experience of a community 100's of miles from the border is markedly differs from yours

And no I didn't tat your tit by outlining my own experience

I posted

Neither of us are the only people in the world,each of us expressed our own experience and extrapulated our own take

There is no different dynamic other than the truth versus stereotype.
    I contest your 'experience' - not all protestants are aligned/sympathetic to unionism and never were here or in any other part of the country. You assessment is lazy.

So you have a monopoly on the truth and experience

I see

No monopoly, I know that Protestant does not automatically equal unionist and never did here.

Apparently it does where you live and in your version of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭StormForce13

Aww don't be a spoilsport. He hates when people prevent him from adding yet another notch to his bedpost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Yes, plenty of ppl who don't know they are not British people transplanted in a different country. These will be as devoted to dup etc as much as the fg'ers are in the more southern-minded ppl.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Whatever about the future which none of us can be sure of it is absolutely gas to witness the denial of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

considering how a load of Dubs went up to belfast to hang around with a gang of tri-colour burning loyalists and then burn out shops, it wouldnt surprise me in the DUP done well in the south

Works both ways mac, if the kids can forget and vote for SF they can forget and vote for the DUP just as easy.
    How many applauding Jeffrey Robinson 'forgot', willfully or otherwise, the DUP's involvement in paramilitarism for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

The DUP can quite easily win a lot of people in the south if they pivot from Ulster unionist sectarian concerns to being anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

Is that another way of agreeing that the DUP won't gain support if they continue as they are today? You believe they'd have to be a different party, with different goals and different priorities?

For the anti immigrant point - that's still demonstrably false. No anti immigrant party has done well to date, and long may that continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

its almost quaint. We really should laugh because it actually is quite funny the idea of a load of Dubs running up to Belfast to hang out with a bunch of rioting loyalists who really couldnt give a hoots about coolock or the republic of ireland

FG: We will never and should never forget what IRA/SF did.

Also FG: Howya Jeffrey, wanna address our convention, nobody will question you on the past of your party and what your party did nor about the extremes you are still connected to, who knows we might even give you an ovation?

I think the question is upside down

Do you know in the event of an inevitable UI,it's the DUP that will discipate as the 26 county parties permeate the 6 counties not the other way round,normal left ,right and centre politics establishishing up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The southern parties have realistically failed in any attempts to enter politics in NI, and most of them *have* tried. PBP have one assembly seat. Labour had one MP in the 60s.

FF tried to Borg the SDLP quite recently and while the leadership was OK with it, the members absolutely weren't

Advertisement