Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think that's an argument that's not used nearly enough by the Democrats. Trump is going on and on about "saving America", yet for the first two years of his first term he had both the House and Senate under his control and got f**k all done. He couldn't even repeal Obamacare after promising to do so. If I was Harris I'd be pushing this point quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,858 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I was wondering if Fox would ever go and do, what they just did....

The song that immediately popped into my head was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m finding it hard to believe that Americans, OK, Republicans in particular, are accepting Trumps exact same strategy for the 3rd time; that is, “rant” for hours on end about how bad things are, name call, throw dirt, and pretty much nothing else.

The formula worked the first time because it was novel, new and indeed outrageous - 3rd time around and it’s growing very stale - it’s hard to keep anger up for so long- I think even Trump is starting to parody himself- I think he’s even bored of it and has run out of new things to say- it’s like the Trumps “greatest hits” tour of insults.

Im hoping that the anti-Trump republicans hit out more and let their voices be heard - if I had been a card carrying republican for many years, I’d be very embarrassed and ashamed with what I’m seen happen to my party. Hopefully criticism of Trump from inside his own party will grow stronger -but it really feels like the party have resigned themselves to this sh1t show - lesson it’s taught me is democracy is a very fragile thing and it doesn’t take much to ruin it.

Any democracy needs at least two functioning parties. Having one party and a cult is not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Is this a case of some-one in Fox News thinking "lets see where this one goes, if it's a big nothing, we can say "we told you so" but if it is at least partially factual it might lead to something else coming out of the woodwork and we covered our ass"?

• Advertisement

I'm still laughing at the nickname Vladimir Futon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Rawr

Exactly this. The GOP has devolved into the MAGA "Let's crown Trump as King of America" cult of personality….with accociated "also-ran" conservative politicians who don't really know what to do with themselves anymore. The GOP no longer has a "leadership", they only have Trump and the nonsense that orbits him. When Trump is gone, be it politically or when he spins off this moral coil, the remaining GOP will be a disintergrating basketcase which will more likely go further into facism. They'll either collapse completely, or become too extreme to win enough votes in future.

That in itself is great for the defense of democratic freedoms, since the GOP is essentially decoming the Nazi Party. I don't think anyone would ever agrue to keep the NSDAP on the voting cards post-WWII to preserve choice, but there should be choice. There should be a genuine opposition to the ruling party in government. So if the GOP are a lost cause, I would hope that an altertiave political party will eventually fill the void.

The Democrats are by far the better choice in this coming election, but no party should ever find itself heading some kind of single-party state…even in the extraordinary situation where the only other opposition party chooses to destroy itself.

Might go to show the Americans that multi-party democracy isn't nessisarily a bad thing. It's often said that it's a "Two-Party" system in the US, but that's only out of habit. The US has many more political parties, and it might be time for a couple of them to look at taking over the GOP's place as the main right-wing party

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The Dems could always go mental and reform the system while the Reps are in such disarray.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Democrats are by far the better choice in this coming election, but no party should ever find itself heading some kind of single-party state…even in the extraordinary situation where the only other opposition party chooses to destroy itself.

If the GOP were to lose this election and do badly in down stream elections there is a very real possibility that the party could split.

The Republicans who tolerate Maga and Trump for their own ends will no longer back such a perennial losing streak.

I suppose it would be just evolution in action, it can't be the same 2 parties indefinitely.

The stark reality is the Republicans are on the edge a cliff here and they have backed Trump to pull them back from the brink.

If I was an American Republican I would be shíttíng myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Havent Trump and Maga been siphoning if not cutting off funds from down stream races for a while now making this a very real possibility?

• Advertisement

Mike Pompeo had an interview with the Wall St Journal recently in which he claimed Trump would stick with Ukraine, would boost the sanctions against Russia, would stay with NATO, would use frozen Russia finances to assist Ukraine and this would boost the US armaments industry. It was so far from what Trump had indicated is his plan that I wondered where Pompeo was going with his suggestions. Aside from the interview content being unexpected, I wondered if Pompeo was getting it up for Trump and indicating at the same time that he was old GOP stock, not a Trump-fan. It certainly wouldn't be the best way to keep Trump happy.

I don't think Pompeo was waving an sign that he was there should the GOP need an alternative nominee for the position of president. However he is used to walking in it as a former very senior Admin Secretary and former CIA director with links within Washington power circles and I doubt if his ambition has lessened since he left Trump. He is only 63 years of age.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I saw that interview/article and like you said the ideas proposed were so diametrically opposed to anything that Trump or those currently in his orbit have said regarding Ukraine it's almost impossible to reconcile the idea that this is Trumps thinking on the issue.

Having said that Mike Pompeo is a religious zealot who believes in the "Rapture" and claimed that the Bible was his most used document when deciding foreign policy so I'll take anything he says with an enormous grain of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,078 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the base wants Trump, the base will get Trump. The base don't really care even if he lost every election from now 'til his dying day. Obviously they do want him to win power, but even if he doesn't, he still holds enormous value to them as a disruptive force. They're not going to cast him aside until they find something which better tickles their political g-spot than he does.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed , that "base" have managed to take functional control of the party at so many levels - They are embedded into the State/County level apparatus so even if the lose they will still be there putting forward their lunacy.

The only hope for their demise is the inevitable in-fighting that will occur once Trump exits the scene.

Trump's on the warpath against Google and Meta because they wont allow his "bloodied" face photo be displayed to the public on their platforms. He's asked his supporters to "GO AFTER GOOGLE AND META" as they have censored the photo. They made it virtually impossible to find pictures or anything about this heinous act. Both are facing BIG BACKLASH OVER CENSORSHIP CLAIMS.' The GOP nominee argued it was an attempt to rig the election and wrote in all caps urging his backers to 'GO AFTER META AND GOOGLE.'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The bases's loyalty to Trump seems to transcend rational policy considerations at this stage. Ron DeSantis in particular could make a plausible case that he was pushing 'more Trumpist than Trump' policies, particularly on covid, as Florida governor but that didn't seem to cut any ice with the MAGA crowd.

DeSantis has no personality. He's just a sweaty stuffed suit. The base can smell this on him because he positively reeks of it and so does pretty much every prominent member of Trump's political movement, and this is why none of them will ever rise to be heirs to the throne. In their words and political actions they inadvertently say, "I am a complete toadie who has placed myself in a position of total political supplication in order to maintain political relevance and popularity with a base who of voters who I think are crazy."

If Harris gets in in 24, it just frees up MTG to run in 28, with Boebert as veep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,751 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MTG & Boebert have fallen out and now hate each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Rawr

Unless Donnie for some reason counts himself out (or dies), he’s going to stick around to be the 2028 candidate too. That’s assuming of course that something doesn’t happen in those next 4 years that will somehow prevent him from running.

Much like actually being in the Oval Office, I think Donnie senses that being a potential future President has given him a special kind of protection from his legal and financial woes. He should be bankrupt right now and possibly facing jail time for his hush money conviction. But the courts are being soft on him….possibly because they don’t want the piss off the most vindictive man to ever sit at the Resolute Desk on the eve of him being crowned God-King of America. Otherwise Citizen Trump would be facing several head injuries from The Book being repeatedly thrown at him.

He may feel that after a potential 2024 loss, that he’ll want to be the presumptive 2028 nominee, so that he’d get a repeat of the past 4 years. It won’t work of course, but he might believe it will.

Also MTG & Bobert are just side-Muppets in this Sesame-Street of block-headed right-wing extremism. Without Donnie, no one is going to give a damn about these two. Without Donnie, the environment that allowed their special brand of stupid become electable, wouldn’t even be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

frees up MTG to run in 28

She can try but don't forget she'll have to fend off the Jewish space lasers, not just some kid with his dad's rifle…

Want to know why people are afraid Trump would try to end democracy in the USA?

It's because he already tried to do it the once.

Entrusting him with it again would be like entrusting a tenner to a drug addict.

So if I've got this straight: Former President Trump has no authority over, responsibility for, or connection to Project 2025, and to make this absolutely clear his campaign managers have just noisily fired the public facing director of the project. President Trumps campaign has been very clear for over a year now that Project 25 has nothing to with the campaign….

LOL…..

It's generally the practice of candidates running for election to try not to p*ss off sections of the voters. Trump, in an interview with a radio show host, commented that Harris doesn't like Jews, looked uncomfortable meeting with Ben Netanyahu, the Israeli PM, "You can see the disdain, 1. she doesn't like Israel. 2. She doesn't like Jewish people. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it and no one wants to say it". So his host [WABC's Sid Rosenberg] then puts it to him that Harris's husband Doug Emhoff is "a crappy jew" and Trump says yes…. Doug Emhoff was born to Jewish parents in New York in 1964.

The kicker to this is that it's an obvious political trap that Trump stepped right into, eyes and mouth open. Sid Rosenberg is also Jewish and proud of it. I assume that Trumps team will claim that he was aware that Harris's husband is Jewish and was playing along with Rosenberg, like they have claimed recently "he was joking" when he made a similar mistake in replying to some-one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

to be clear he was the “Presidential Transition Project Director”

And I still wouldn’t trust that Trump isn’t planning to unleash Project 2025 if elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭amandstu

When he was asked by Laura Ingrams on Fix ,I think if he would leave office in 2028 if he won in 2024 he answered to the effect "Didn't I leave office the last time?" (not mentioning his attempts to pervert the ourse of transfer of power and his attempt to browbeat/physically intimidate Mike Pence to not certify the results)

Is he running a bit more scared now that Biden is no longer his opponent?

In Kamala Harris we trust,fingers and bollocks crossed…

• Advertisement

They are trying to turn the titanic around .....

Advertisement