Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical position offered with the department of foreign affairs, what to expect?

• 26-07-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently been offered a clerical position with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

I only received the offer this week so I'm not sure when I will be starting but I'm looking for some insight into the role if possible.

I'm hoping I'll be placed at Stephens Green as I live near by but I'm not sure what the chances of that are.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

Brexit Brexit Brexit......

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

wiseoldelf wrote: »
    Brexit Brexit Brexit......

I was thinking I'd be hearing a lot about it anyway.

Any idea what my role would be? I know they're located on Stephens green, which would suit me as I already live near but it could be the passport office also?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

its impossible to tell what kind of role you'll get, until you know what section you'll be placed in... as for the location? haven't a jot... again depends where you are placed.... good luck..

I'm currently in another department down the country... would love the opportunity to work with Foreign Affairs, a lot of potential for promotion and travel, again depending on the section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Phone their HR department and ask. Seriously. It'll show your interest and initiative. Any government department will have lots of vacancies across the organisation, so you could end up anywhere. But if you can get into a conversation with someone in their HR department and have a particular aptitude, interest or skillset, and there's a matching vacancy, it'll be in both your interests to put you there - even if it's just "Near lives to Stephen's Green, will be good for commuting rather than sticking them in the passport office in Balbriggan."

Did the same once, years ago, before moving to a different government department and got put through to the AP who had vacancies in two of the units reporting to her. As a result of phoning, I got the choice of working in the area I was actually skilled in and wanted to progress in, or of working in their accounts department, which would have bored me to tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Phone their HR department and ask. Seriously. It'll show your interest and initiative. Any government department will have lots of vacancies across the organisation, so you could end up anywhere. But if you can get into a conversation with someone in their HR department and have a particular aptitude, interest or skillset, and there's a matching vacancy, it'll be in both your interests to put you there - even if it's just "Near lives to Stephen's Green, will be good for commuting rather than sticking them in the passport office in Balbriggan."

Did the same once, years ago, before moving to a different government department and got put through to the AP who had vacancies in two of the units reporting to her. As a result of phoning, I got the choice of working in the area I was actually skilled in and wanted to progress in, or of working in their accounts department, which would have bored me to tears.

This is excellent advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LDC2016

Hey I'm starting in the Dept of Foreign Affairs. I'll more than likely be put in the consular services. Just wondering how you got on and what section you were put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Minifox

Can I revive this thread and ask how many days a week you can work from home in the DFA?

I live a long way from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This is the thread you're looking for:

There'll be another survey going up there in the next week or so.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Probably 0 if you end of in the passport office. Most COs in the DFA are in the passport offices.

Advertisement