Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relocation - Car VRT / VAT

• 19-03-2023 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi - I relocated to Dublin in Jan 2023 from Fermanagh. I had bought a car in England in June 2022 and drove it to Fermanagh having got the boat from Holyhead to Dublin (I didn't declare anything at the port), I was using the car in the north for over 6 months and the address I put on V5C is Fermanagh. I then got a job in in Dublin which I started in Jan and I want to register the car here as I will be here for the foreseeable. Will I be exempt from VRT and VAT? Any recommendations on what I should do? Do you file via MyEnquiries on the revenue website? The car is sitting in the north and eager to get it down, MOT was done last week up there. If I'm not exempt I would likely just sell the car up north.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post edited by derry1993 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Should be alright as you've owned for over 6 months. You do need to jump through quite a few hoops in terms of paperwork that they want to see. And it takes time, last year I moved here from the Netherlands and I brought my car with me at the start of July and only got my registration mid September. Mind, I also had to wait for a PPS number, which you already have I assume.

Just fill out the form and include any documentation that you have and go from there. If you're running out of UK insurance then go to the VRT office to have the car inspected (just a check on the VIN, the current registration, the amount of seats and the mileage), so when you have the paperwork sorted you don't have to have the car towed to the VRT office.

Not entirely sure if there are any differences between moving from outside the EU or within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your using the transfer of residency for VRT exemption then I think you have to apply for it at the time of moving here not retrospectively afterwards. OP says they moved here back in January. You would need to clarify that with Revenue.

See the link I posted. You have to have owned the car for at least 6 months before transfer of residency and you have to bring in the car within 12 months after transfer of residency. You also have to apply for VRT exemption within a week after bringing the car here (which is why I submitted a preliminary application before I received a PPS number), so OP might have to come up with a reason that he's only applying for exemption now, as evidence of when the car was brought in will be non-existent (whereas I had a ferry-booking, for example, although they actually wanted the boarding ticket but of course I had already thrown that out, who's gonna hold on to that 🙄).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 derry1993

Thanks both for your help on this, it's really helpful. I will try and let you know how it goes.

Once you have filed the TOR form, do you then book an NCT appointment to register the car 30 days from arrival? Or do you wait until they reply about the TOR? I presume if you book the NCT they charge you the vrt there and then and refund you if you pass the TOR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From the link the other poster provided above:

You must register the vehicle within 30 days of bringing it into the State. You should make an appointment with the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) within seven days of the vehicle's arrival into the State.

To claim the Transfer of Residence (TOR) Relief from VRT, you must submit a Transfer of Residence (TOR) application form and full supporting documentation to the National VRT Service. You should claim the relief within seven days of bringing the vehicle into the State. If Revenue approves your TOR claim, then no VRT will be payable when you register the vehicle. Please apply in good time for TOR relief, so that Revenue can process your claim before you register the vehicle.

Please be aware that, if you register the vehicle before your TOR claim is decided by Revenue, then you will need to pay VRT at registration. If your TOR claim is subsequently approved, any VRT you pay will be refunded within five working days of the relief being granted.

I made a VRT appointment immediately, then cancelled it by phone. Then they can't say you didn't make the appointment in time. That was (for me) in July.

Mid-August I booked a new appointment, still pending the TOR-exemption, as my Dutch insurance was about to run out (they had already extended it twice because it took Revenue forever to deal with the TOR-exemption application). NCT/VRT office told me to go there to present the car, then when the TOR-exemption came through I could come back without needing to bring the car. Be aware that there's some waiting time in certain centers. I went to Arklow on the 19th of August, whereas Greenhills and other Dublin centers had availability on the 30th at the earliest and that was a bit too close for comfort in case I needed to come back with something (my Dutch insurance expired on the 31st).

Of course it meant I couldn't use the car after the Dutch insurance expired, until I had the exemption, registered it here and then it took another week to get the insurance here sorted. So it also depends on how urgently you need the car (I could use my wife's car in the meantime).

And technically it needs to be off the road. As I live in a cul-de-sac and no Garda is going to check tax/insurance on a foreign registration (at least that's what I hoped for) I just left it parked on the road and only swapped the Dutch for the Irish plates after the insurance and motortax was sorted.

Thanks, my only concern now is the VAT as I brought the car from Britain to the North to the Republic. Fingers crossed if my TOR application comes back ok this shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry I can't help you with that one, as my car has always been registered within the EU.

Good luck with the whole process!

Thanks for your detailed response, very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭zoom_cool

Looking to but a Range Rover Evoque in NI from a Salavge yard very light damage they have the V5 but the company which they buy them from block out previous owner details. They told me they think it was in NI pre Brexit is there a way to find out where the car was Pre Brexit? If I cant get the details I will have to pay both VAT and customs with the VRT is that correct? Thanks The car has a English Reg it s a 2016 model year.

Hey you could contact the DVLA in Swansea, should get an answer from them.

All done with the import. I found the process very straight forward and the people at Revenue very helpful. My TOR application was back in two weeks. Had my registration the following week. Thanks for help.

Glad to hear you got it sorted all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LaoisBlowIn

Currently going through this process and waiting to hear back on TOR application, now been 3 weeks. How did you receive notification your application was accepted? Was it on revenue.ie or a letter through the post?

Have had my VRT appointment and all so literally just waiting on the TOR acceptance before i can call back and complete the registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

LOL well I can tell ye all this…I've been on the road since time began lol and in my job spend a fair bit driving around Leinster area….and over last couple years I'm seeing a hefty uplift in the number of UK reg's (cars not vans and usually nice cars too like RR, BMW etc) both on the roads and parked up on a daily basis…wheras once you might see a couple in a day I'm seeing up to 70+ per day now…especially along east coast South County Dublin/Arklow…and in my local area alone I'm aware of 4 households that have had the same UK/NI cars parked up on their driveways for at least a couple of years now….there's no way in hell they're compliant

I think the fear of being done by customs or guards for driving around in nice foreign reg motors is long gone, I can't even remember the last time I saw a customs check or a customs vehicle on the roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Is that the VRT exemption letter you are waiting on?

Mine took a few weeks, had to phone twice to chase it, then it just landed in the post. No message updates on Revenue account to say it had even been processed!

Yes that's it. The application I submitted on MyEnquiries has been 'In-Progress' for 3-weeks with no sign of an update.

But to be fair they do say it can take up to 20 business days, and up to 25 during busier periods, for the enquiries to be processed. So I cant exactly be complaining that its not here after 15 days lol. I'd just be worried about going over the 30 day limit they set for having the car registered, but the staff in the VRT appointment were sound and said even if it does take longer than the 30 day's I'd be fine.

Almost two weeks later and still no letter!

Struggling to find the right number to call to chase this up. Did you call revenue or VRT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

you have to chase Revenue; it has nothing to do with NCTS. When I did it, it was a matter of submitting to Dublin office and waiting. However, outside Dublin it could be done over the counter as a regional Revenue office. Where did you send yours? Call that office and inquire into progress.

• Advertisement

I submitted it on revenue.ie via MyEnquiries.

I called revenue yesterday and was transferred to the customs reliefs office who said they'd chase it up with the case worker responsible for my application. Got notification 6pm last night requesting additional info which I supplied there and then and just now after getting notified that application has been accepted.

If only I chased them sooner!!

Advertisement