Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭roadmaster

AGS are getting a H145 furthermore they may be getting a second H145. The below is from a service Tender.

This public procurement competition relates to the provision of a Support by the Hour Service initially for two EC 135 T2/T2+ Helicopters (with twin Turbomeca Arrius 2B2 Engines) with the SBH Service to also then include a H145 with two new Safran Arriel 2E engines) in 2025. Further, a SBH Service may also be required for a second H145 (or variant thereof) during the Term of the Services Contract which may be awarded pursuant to this Competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Negative_G

aircraft are selected, both FW and RW and due for delivery in 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mupper2

Anyone know the actual story? (I don't believe for a 1 second we're involved on a national basis)

"France, Germany, the United Kingdom, the United States, Ireland and
    Italy are involved in the project via the different partner companies"

https://www.nspa.nato.int/news/2024/farnborough-international-airshow-nspa-awards-ngrc-concept-study-5-to-explore-integrated-platform-concepts-for-next-generation-rotorcraft

GE Aerospace are involved and they have a good few people working here so it could be there way of routing funds through here for Tax Purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Could have sworn I saw that high-winged FW orbiting around the Don this morning. There were PC-12s operating in the area also, but I'm certain it looked quite different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you mean the Twin Otter, it departed to Albert and then St Gallen on the 27th.

I did. Must have been a 12 so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭vswr

EI-WST was operating west of Bal also yesterday morning.

It's a Tecnam P2006T out of Weston. High placed, twin engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Handsome lookin thing!

Good man, thats what it was indeed.

My silhouette spotting talent has not deserted me after all.

• Advertisement

A Bit of a Coincience that a local community group are looking to build an air ambulance base/Pad in Ballyhaunis considering there is a tender out for an air ambulance based in the North West. We could be seeing AC112 standing down sonner than later.

https://www.westernpeople.ie/news/mayo-town-plan-first-of-its-kind-facility_arid-27009.html

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

looks like its kicking of in leb, will ireland ask its NATO freinds in case we need to get irish citizens people home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

DFA have been telling Irish citizens since October to leave. This isn't Kabul, which went south very quickly.

As for UNIFIL. I can't see that mission shutting down any time soon, and IRISHPOLBATT will need more, not less in future tours.

The DoD already have a plan to evacuate the majority of the mission to RAF Akrotiri, if open warfare does break out.

Only a small complement of personnel will remain as observers and sentries to protect the hardware from falling into belligerent hands and being used offensively.

Only thing is, at that stage it'll be a UNIFIL problem. Not Just Irishpolbatt

Every man for himself. More or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

how with aer lingus or ryn … is it not dangerous leaving small group of people to watch over military gear….. wouldnt fancy getting short straw on that one

Yes it is, they're professional soldiers, it comes with the territory. It would be far more dangerous to let armoured vehicles and high calibre weaponry fall into the hands of belligerents. Not to mention the bases and obs posts themselves, which are in strategically important locations.

The evacuation, if it comes, will be aboard tactical military airlifters, from other contributors to UNIFIL or friendly partners like the RAF.

Not really.

Current GASU aircraft are maintained by external contractor. The helis only require one air corps pilot each. No air corps crew operate the sensors on GASU aircraft. Never have.

So we're going from 3 air corps pilots only needed for current GASU fleet, to max 5 on expanded GASU fleet.

I think we'll cope. If not, GASU may seek their own contract pilots. They planned to do this in 1997, but the DoD begged them to use the Air Corps instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Just to note, it is a Twin Otter, the original Otter being a large single-engined type (still popular in Canada and places like Alaska).

Didn't they try a 3 engined otter once, in the 80s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Any idea why the twin otter needs 2 pilots while the defender could get by with 1 ,

Also do the guys operating the surveillance equipment have to be Gardai ,for legal or evidential reasons,

Would have thought that operating the surveillance equipment would have been an advantage to the military..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Its a garda aircraft, the role is Garda Air Support unit. They have to be Gardai. There is actually no reason the pilot needs to be Air Corps either.

Military can do all the surveillance they want in their own surveillance aircraft.

In my opinion the Garda ASU should be completely decoupled from the Air Corps. It is NOT a military function.

The Gardaí could put their own qualified pilots on their books, the same as they do with many civilianised technical roles within their organisation.

The ASU could then be based at Weston too, benefitting from shared facilities with the Coastguard contractors such as fuelling, accommodation and ATC. Weston is just 15 minutes from Garda HQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Negative_G

<admin snip>

All current GASU aircraft are on the military register, with military tail numbers, therefore the aircraft has to be piloted by Air Corps pilots. Of course there can be dispensations granted for short term arrangements (foreign NVG pilots for example). If it was a civil registered aircraft then sure, who can get anyone with a type rating to fly it, but that's not what we are talking about here.

The GASU set up is a marriage of convenience that benefits AGS more than the DF. They get a 24/7 base with full (most of the time) ATC and CRS service.

They get a pool of pilots who are bound by an interdepartmental SLA and who by virtue of their service cannot engage in industrial action.

They also, and most critically, get to operate in the grey space of military regulations as the aircraft are on a military register. So while the aspiration is no doubt to abide by "best industry practice", in reality, they can pick and choose how they operate and are self regulating.

The AC in return get a through put of pilots who garner significant experience in operating in a demanding single pilot operation.

As for resources, the article is correct. The AC hasnt operated a FW garda aircraft on a routine basis for circa 5 years or so, given the Defender issues.

They'll now need to staff a likely 24/7 multi crew roster in addition to the existing 24/7 RW roster and that's before you get into having potentially 3 aircraft on response at any one time.

Given the nature of shift work you'll have to plan for rest periods, annual leave, courses and the myriad of other military tasks that arise and crew accordinly. and because it is under a SLA, there can't be any penny pinching when it comes to personnel resourcing, so it will absolutely have a drain on the existing pool of pilots. You're likely looking at pulling 6-8 experienced pilots from other aircraft to staff this roster exclusively.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

No. I think you might be thinking of the Britten Norman Trilander which had a third engine added to the rear of the plane. I flew on one to the channel islands once with Aurigny Airline.

Wow

HOW **** DARE YOU SAY I POST A LOT OF MISINFORMATION?

Delete this line now Or I'll be seeking your details from Boards.ie owners to follow up with legal action.

Settle down love.

• Advertisement

Is it to late to get the 235s back from the scrap yard?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41449048.html

Advertisement