Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

Armagh wouldn't be anyone's tip for an All Ireland Title earlier in the year but I don't believe the final was any worse than what teams did in 2012-2015.

They are held up as being very dour and defensive but over the last 4-5 years they've been involved in a lot of exciting games

2021 - Extra time v Monaghan

2022 - Extra Time v Galway

2023 - Extra time v Derry and then Monaghan

2024 - Edged out by Donegal. Extra time v Donegal, the counter attack brilliance v Derry/comeback v Galway and then the epic v Kerry.

Its inevitable they will be judged on the less glamorous elements of yesterday but would not be a fair reflection of them since Covid.

They don't have many superstars but they extracted every last ounce of their talents, have been involved in some incredible battles and got a slice of luck yesterday.

Hats off to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You do not get the room to kick from that far out. To kick a point from thatt distance you need about 5 meters of a run up and you will ve closed down by the time you reach your kicking point so you have to check your run so as not to get turned over.

It was actually a problem with the game no player was risking carrying the ball into contact incase of getting dispossessed and turned over. Excluding the goal there was no other goal chance created by either team.If a player got within a meter of you you generally offloaded. Neither team tried too many runs along the end line to create scoring chances. When faced with a potential turn over players tried to work the ball immediately out of this zone rather than risking continuing on to create a score

I do not think that the limited amount of free was necessarily a plus. As well Armagh did hold up players a number if time late in the game as Galway tried to counter attack so they could get there defence set. None were pull downs but they are fouls to slow the game down.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭drury..

That's a slightly different point about rough play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I don't dispute that Armagh were very defensive also. I watched the match on tv but I'll take your word on it that Galway left lads up more often. But none of what you've said contradicts the point that Armagh attacked with more pace. You describe it as a "myth" but then also explain how they could do this. At least Armagh move the ball down the field at pace, unlike Galway. Granted it was mostly a running game rather than a kicking one, but it was still better to watch. Galway in the last few minutes in particular beggared belief with their slow, lateral handpassing. Not to mind when Galway did turn the ball over in open play generally they would also slowly move it up rather than try to capitalise on Armagh's unset defence.

I don't think if Galway set up more defensively it would have been better for them- probably they'd just have scored even less- Kerry set up very defensively vs Armagh and it got them nowhere. If Galway were able to kick easily scoreable frees yesterday they'd probably have won the game, despite everything, so inefficiency/poor finishing (as well as good efficiency by Armagh) as well as the slow buildups were the main things that cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Why did Galway have a homecoming when they lost. Those players should be ashamed of themselves for bottling it they may not get another chance at winning an All Ireland in their careers they definitely should not be having a homecoming and patting themselves on the back. At the end of the day second is the first place loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Sure every losing finalists always have a small homecoming, what are you on about? Mark my words the players didn't want to be there, they know the task is unfinished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stupid fuckin take,vso fuckin edgy.

Have you any idea what the GAA is about ?

Probably not given a post like that.

The players might be disappointed but they are still appreciated by the local fans.

Especially the kids, these guys are their heroes.

These events are for the kids, for fans.

They are not for edgelords like you behind your keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

Standard stuff. Let's people go and show their appreciation for their efforts. Kids get photos and jerseys signed and a chance to meet the players. Would have all been planned well in advance, win or lose. Nothing wrong with it imo.

At least they didn't charge €4 per person for a ticket that had to be bought in advance online like the Cork hurlers did after losing!

• Advertisement

Would you see Real Madrid having a homecoming if they lost a Champions League final at the Bernabeu? I guarantee you they wouldn't they're fans would probably be on the presidents back and the demanding the manager is sacked. It's called having standards. The fans should demand only the very best from the players and manager.

This the problem with sport in this country we need to demand the very best of our athletes. Winning is what sport is all about. Look at the RWC embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭King Power Fox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭dunnerc

What about the dour defensive tactics that Kerry deployed v Donegal in 2014 ?

2013 - Dublin 3-18 - Kerry 3- 11

2016 - Dublin 0-22 - Kerry 2-14

2019 - Dublin 1-16 - Kerry 1-16

2019- Dublin 1-18 - Kerry 0-15

Dour defensive tactics my a—e ,

As usual this bitter little Kerry man has a whinge about Dublin🙄

Have you ever not won a sporting event or competition you entered ?

Were you ashamed of yourself ?

Dublin Dublin Dublin , bitter little Kerryman is back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Westernview

Are you trolling or have you just no clue about what the GAA represents? Real Madrid comprise multi millionaire players playing a professional sport for clubs run as profit making businesses. The GAA is a voluntary community based organisation. Homecomings are a county's way of acknowledging it's volunteers and giving a chance to kids and their parents, elderly people and others who are unable to attend the game to meet their hero's. Dublin and Kerry have had homecomings following defeats and gone on to win all Ireland the following year so what you said is nonsense.

Yes and I didn't have a homecoming to celebrate losing. This is something that's crept into elite level sport over the last couple of years teams celebrating losing as if it's an achievement look at Arsenal for example in the Premiership the last two seasons celebrating coming 2nd it's pathetic with slogans like its not about the winning it's about the journey. No sport is about winning especially at the elite level.

And another go at Dublin from bitter little Kerry man 😂

You understand the concept of podiums in sport and gold, silver and bronze medals

So picture in your mind the galways players on the podium celebrating with their silver medals

Not a gold medal but a significant achievement worthy of some celebration nonetheless

Hope this helps you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Would you see Real Madrid having a homecoming if they lost a Champions League final at the Bernabeu?

I was right in my first reply to you.

You have no idea what the GAA is about.

• Advertisement

In the Olympics maybe a silver medal is an achievement but in team sports where the winner gets a trophy and the loser gets nothing no. Look at the medal presentations after most soccer finals these days the players get the silver medals and take them off straight away at the least the ones with self respect do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Move on lad with the tired rhetoric and get over that 11 semi…you cant even get the year right.
    Donegal won in 2012 with the Highest scoring average since Tyrone in 2008… but these defensive ulster sides! That Donegal average came beating every team that appeared in an AI final the 10 years previous bar dublin.

If any of Donagheys tactical play, the poor Durcan Kick out or the width of the post at the end for McFadden didnt go Kerrys way we could have won 2014 but its fine margins,ifs and buts, they didnt and Kerry won. Probably not very positive putting 3-14 on the 'invincibles' in the semi final either? But easier to keep the narrative isnt it? Rather than say kerry were defensive too.

We played Spillane prasied 'positive' free flowing stuff Bonners first 2 years racking up massive scores in Ulster and couldnt get past the Super8s… if only we tried it in 2014…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Barlett

If the only thing in sport that you get enjoyment from is seeing your team win a trophy then prepare to be disappointed for 99.5 percent of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Why in all of your posts do you keep comparing the position to soccer and you also mentioned rugby. Those are professional sports. That is their job/profession. They get paid a significant amount of money to carry out those roles and they do not have any other jobs to focus on. There is huge reward for competing to be the best.

GAA is completely different. It is an amateur set-up. As in, like a past time for players and supporters. All of these guys have their main jobs to tend to, which takes up the majority of their time. Their GAA time is their hobby or pasttime. The homecomings are a way for the fans to show appreciation for the dedication that these guys have out in to make things happen, and get their team to an All - Ireland.

If you had made the sacrifices that those guys have done, you could also have made it to Croke Park. But you weren't willing to do that, and didn't bother, so became an armchair supporter. As Fr Tod has said, you haven's a clue about the GAA set-up. And are obviously one of those "fans" who head down to the pub on a Sunday to wat the premiership match, decked out in the latest premiership teams jersey that you got suckered in to buying. And referring to your UK team as "We", when in reality you have zero connection with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

While I agree Galway bottled the game you can't deny them a homecoming for their families and players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I always find it disrespectful to armagh when pundits write them off for 2025. They are incredibly hard to break down since 2021 all be it, they are not that attractive to watch. They have a strong panel and a good management team. I do think conleth Gilligan and Donaghy will return to their respective counties for 2025 in some capacity. That may weaken them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I disagree the manner of Armagh’s win overall when looking at their matches - Says to me a lot needs to go right for Armagh to repeat this feat.

This will likely be a one off “flash in the pan” and Armagh will be “dining out on it”

I would have a number of teams ahead of Armagh next year, in what will be an open season.

You know and I know that if Galway finished better the last day.
    The narrative on Armagh been “well coached” would not be mentioned. Context is important.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭henke

Writing them is a bit harsh. Considering where there heads were at after losing the Ulster final you can't dismiss their character either. History does suggest it is very difficult to go back to back though. Even the great Dublin team didn't manage it until the third attempt in '15 and '16. Tyrone had an awful defence in '22. Donegal in '13 etc so I'd say it's not very likely but certainly not impossible they win it

Wild speculation presumably that Armagh "will be dining out on it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well - you are stating the obvious a bit there.

A lot needs to go right for Dublin to win it next year, and Dublin has a player population ten times that of Armagh.

So of course a lot needs to go right for them to win it again.

To win it once is a great achievement. To win two on the trot, for this county would be absolutely incredible. Apart from Dublin's big run, in the past 30 years Kerry have retained the title once, and not other team has done it.

As for a 'flash in the pan' - what does that mean? That if they dont win it next year, then this year was just a 'flash in the pan'?

Armagh will be in the top 5 or 6 teams next year. They wont start as favourites.

Are they a better team than Galway, or Kerry? Maybe, maybe not - but when it mattered they beat them this year.

And what you cant possibly take away from them is that they have some top class players who have shown they can perform at the highest level.

Have to say, personally I am delighted for Armagh.

Advertisement