Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zd65

Was considering 32A Commando but then seen this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/wmzf6v/help_32a_commando_7kw_charging_nobody_wants_to/?rdt=60602

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Practically the same rules apply here. Type B rcd and load balancing needed. It would be cheaper to install a chargepoint with these features built in.

☀️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Commando socket or not. You still need the appropriate wiring and protection back to the board.

Prime Day Hime Charger €370 delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Fantastic price but I'd be weary of buying something like this from a third party seller on Amazon, it's essentially like buying it from AliExpress or Temu except Amazon handles the shipping of it to your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭bobcatboo123

HI there,

Just wondering has anyone gotten a home charger installed recently. Have been quoted 1400 before grant for installation of a zappi charger. Only starting the process of looking into chargers so wondering is this typical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've been seeing quotes of around €600 (before grant) for a straightforward install excluding the charger.

The Zappis cost nearly a grand by themselves so 1400 seems very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Are you sure you need a Zappi? I have a similar type charger from a different brand and never use the solar feature anymore.

You could buy something like a basic VW/Elli charger for about 220 and get your own RECI to install. This route will often be cheaper.

Thanks, need to do some more research h. Possibly a cheaper charger another company quoted 1400 for the zappi plus another 600 in extra work which may be needed as the house was built in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I got caught for the xtra work as well,needed new earth rod,sub board,and few other things,house built 83,total cost was 2.1k minus 600 grant.zappi as well.

• Advertisement

I've lost you.

Was the 1,400 quote for install plus Zappi or just the install and the Zappi was extra?

1400 was for the zappi and install provided the house needed no extra work in order to install it. After i sent some photos of the meter abd fuse board, he said it would be 600 extra as the tails were too shorts and extra upgrades would be needed to safely install it.

Another quote was 1400 for the zappi and install and he didn't think any upgrades would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭bilasy

Any one got easi one EV charger installed? Do you recommend it ?

I guess you really need them to give you the full quote including upgrades to compare them properly.

The non-upgrade quote is better than I could get. I got three quotes and they were all in and around 600 including VAT (830-1000 extra for the Zappi unit). It is a straight-forward install as the power cabling is all there. A Harvi unit is needed for the network connection but the signal can run over the same power cable.

In the end I sourced the Zappi myself and am paying 600 for the install

how you finding the Easee charger so far? Considering one to work with solar PV, thanks

how you finding the Easee charger? Is it connected to a solar PV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭zg3409

Zappi can be had from 600 euro delivered on eBay, so dont cost 1000, and installers get discounts.

Zappis need to be installed by myenergi trained installers and there is a good few technical things installers need to note such as certain brand RCDs not approved by myenergi, lots of installers use wrong wire type or push it in the wrong holes causing overheating of connections not covered by warranty. Make sure your installer knows zappi recommended install and "tricks". Setting up with WiFi and app, hardwired CT needed, all add some complication. Example.

From

https://support.myenergi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/11442021211153-Installation-of-conductor-cable-zappi-2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭myfreespirit

Apologies for the delay in replying, hadn't logged in to Boards for a while.

The Easee is grand, working away well, does the job reliably. The associated app is fairly straightforward to use and easy to set timers to get the cheap rates at night.

It's not connected to any solar panel installation, as my roof is too small to support enough panels to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Workd fine most of the time, only drawback is that there's not option to start a charge session from the unit. Had the odd issue when the app wasnt connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all, not sure if this is the right thread but looking for some advice. I had a Zappi charger installed in March and it was working fine for the past few months. I have it timed to charge the car between 2am and 6am to coincide with my low electricity rate. Last weekend it just stopped working. Per the app it seems to initially kick off and then its just stops charging. It give no message on the logs to say something is wrong. The car charges fine at public charge points. I have attached my setup in case I have messed up something. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Everything looks fine, give MyEnergi a call, their support team are excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭zg3409

Put zappi into fast mode and what happens? I suggest charging in the evenings when you are home and can monitor it until you get it sorted. You may want to update the zappi firmware before calling support as they like to work with latest software on the unit.

Are you powering on anything else at the low night rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Nothing else at night. Will try that now.

How can I get latest firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Firblog

Myself and neighbour (below me) just got chargers installed on pedestal between our parking spots. He works for eng company so got all done, haven't received the butchers bill yet so can't give cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That looks like it’s crossing a public footpath?

Did you have to get council permission for that?

Id say that estate is under Management Company control, therefore no council permission required.

If im wrong, then I agree with you, liability issue there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looks lovely, is there a PIN code functionality on the Zappi or do you switch on/off from your CU?

Yeah, estate has a management company so no issues there. Not really crossing a public footpath as going under it. I haven't actually seen the zappi yet, only installed on Friday and I'm on my holidays in Spain at the min.

The mgt company is considering installing the same setup for the whole estate - up to 80% grant. Those running it were very unsure what the install would look like/entail, now they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looks good. It’s a pity that isolator switch is required there. It’s just inviting kids and scrotes to mess with your charging sessions.

• Advertisement

I had wanted it to be outside front door, but was told that regs say it has to be within 2m of charger. On the plus side, there are no issues with kids/scrotes messing with other people's property on the estate.

Advertisement