Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭monkeyactive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Ireland's high evasion rate … its because RTÉ isn't very good and the collectors aren't good at their job… there where three kind of evaders … those that ignore the letters … those that don't get letters … those that refused to pay … and now those of us who know RTÉ were lying about their finances.

As that poster said, evading the license is not exactly difficult. I'm kind of confused how people actually get caught. I imagine, their numbers for evasion are way off. The only indicator they have that lots more people are evading now is because of the drop in revenue since Tubridy-gate.

60m divided by 160 euros, is 375,000 people evading the license. I'd be amazed if its not way more than that.

My sister was in a house share when she was in college, one of the guys in the house was leaving one day and there was a TV License inspector outside and asked him if they had a TV License, the guy told him he'd been in the house for a house party and then asked the inspector if he knew where he could get a taxi in the area.

Since Covid, I actually wonder how many inspectors are actually still going around. Presumeably they stopped when COVID happened, did someone tell them to go back out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Still no consequences for the Breda handshake of 400k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,928 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If you are a FFG supporter, do you defend this? If you do, why?

• Advertisement

I don't think RTE should get a bailout, the redundancy exit packages stopped, top wages slashed etc., fraud charges brought, get Revenue and AGS involved, sell Montrose etc., even try to get money back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Quite the nerve of Kevin Bakhurst to complain on Twitter about Twitter.

He needs to get his own house in order and start sacking people and reducing the wage bill.

Kevin Backarse should go, he has done nothing since taking over, useless

Joe Duffy, 350K a year for 6 hours work a week.

2187 people need to pay their TV license just to pay for Joes salary.

So yes, Kevin Backhurts needs to get his house in order before he opens his mouth on Twitter.

• Advertisement

By the way I was not insinuating that you are a FFG, I was talking to the FFG cheerleaders on here.

I don't think you are. See my post above.

We All Good @skimpydoo

BTW I do not think I am a cheerleader for any of the parties currently, disgusted with them all if I am honest

Oh I know you are not a cheerleader for any of the current government parties. I was talking about the usual suspects on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Ah if you remember RTÉ have taken full responsibility for that even offering to pay her tax bill due to the error cause, when she was CFO!

Really RTÉ should release the text message that she sent and her email to the DG asking for him to make a representation for her to the Oireachtas Committee.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Tow

Don't forget that there is also tax (Income Tax, Employee PRSI, Employer PRSI and USC) on the tax Kelvin is paying for Breda, as the payment of an employee's tax is a Benefit In Kind.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I know that but sure … this is RTÉ way of thinking that nothing is taxable. Highly experience accounting staff in RTÉ and HR staff too.

______

Yesterday

Sorry a rant on Irish Times … link at the end …

Again there is this perception that RTÉ and TG4 do not have stability, and that they could not have forecast their strategies.

I have been following broadcasting for years I have never once heard RTÉ or TG4 look for a multi-year guaranteed budget. I am open to correction on this.

Again she persists with the idea its really not a great deal because TV costs money to produce, and RTÉ have remits to make. From what i can see there are 3 remits under the act 1. A TV and a Radio channel that is of Public Service in Nature (RTÉ 1 and Radio 1), 2. A set percentage of the licence fee to go to independent productions (~€40m) and 3. The Irish Language. RTÉ seem to feel forced to do these things.

They talk about the collapse of the licence fee sales, but again never venturing into why people don't pay the license or why evasion increased over the last year, lets not dwell on the mismanagement of RTÉ… however later in the podcast they start talking about how both RTÉ and TG4 have failed to invest in their studios. A suggested €300m price tag to bring RTÉ studios up to standard, on top of any energy efficiency that they have to make for 2030. So what was RTÉ management doing with their building over the last 40 to 50 years, how much were maintenance costs over the last 14 years, why was this left so late in the day. To avoid having to up keep listed buildings? And it seems almost everything is moving to the TV centre a newer building on the site. (I am also surprised that few people are not bring up this issue, this is just as much of a scandal as the governance issues).

Again she suggest the headline figure is huge, but RTÉ had looked for more and had looked for a 5 year multi-year budget. Again this is new to me from any reports I had heard, and for journalists to start to suggest this was a normally requested even in Dee Forbes time seems a little like re-writing history.

As you have seen from my last rant … RTÉ over the last 10 years has had stability in funding, it is up to them as professionals with years of wonderful experience to forecast for a strategy, again anyone want to take out a strategy and point to any tangible commitments, even take a look at the current New Direction and point to any that you feel are tangible.

So the voluntary redundancy was over prescribe last time, only 25 people were given an exit payment from that, at least one may have been an executive, to me the Vol Redundancy are set up to facilitate retiring executives.

She underestimates the value of Fair City, she says 12m, but in fairness to her a number of articles put it at that. So lets take a look at RTÉ drama production for 2022.

Drama for RTÉ1 was €16m (plus 767k for 2, 1.2m for online*, 572k for Radio and 360k for TG4 support). This €16m on RTÉ1 is mainly for Fair City… lets take a look at their Commissioning annual report… Kin and 3 storyland shorts in total… at a cost of 2.5m (this is entirely for Kin and not the 3 shorts which aired on RTÉ2 cost 767k in total, though perhaps that also includes any live action children's dramas???). Taking this into account Fair City is cost €13.5m to make in 2022.

What is strange about the Commissioning report they don't mention the TG4 from the main annual report, only Kin and the 3 Storyland shorts).

On top of this spend on Drama RTÉ also have a number of co-production that will go through their Acquisitions / Co-Productions Dept, total spend on Irish imports was 4.5m … not all of this is Drama… RTÉ therefore spend between €5m to €7m on Drama outside of Fair City… a pittance and at most 2% of their total budget.

I will take a break from the rant :)

*1.2m for online drama again not listed in their Commissions annual report! Is this 1.2m partly for Fair City also?

https://www.irishtimes.com/podcasts/inside-business/despite-its-725m-funding-plan-are-there-still-storm-clouds-on-the-horizon-for-rte/

https://www.rte.ie/annual-report-2022/pdf/RTE_Annual_Report_YE22.pdf

https://about.rte.ie/commissioning/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2023/06/RTE-Independent-Productions-Annual-Report-2022-2.pdf

______

Yesterday

I pretty much cover everything but sport.

They talk about the partnership between RTÉ and VMTV on sports, and questions why RTÉ didn't sell any sport to VMTV since the 2016 euros.

Now TV3 at the time said they got a bad deal out of that or that seems to be what is being said now, however IMO this deal was not just about getting RTÉ out of a whole but more about giving TV3 a boost after it had lost Coro St and Emmers to UTV Ireland.

In June of 2016 TV3 because of the splitting of the games had 9% of the audience (its average for the year was 7.6%), this compares to RTÉ2's June figure of 11.6% and and average of 6.5% for the year. (UTV Ireland had an average audience of 6% but it move over to TV3 that autumn, become 3be (now VMTV THREE).

To me this was a good deal for TV3, it boosted their audience that year, when they needed it.

Slight different now RTÉ2 is dyeing a death, its audience share can be as low as 4% without sport, in June it had 13%, again a much need boost. And while Bakhurst might suggest that the Olympics won't bring in much in 2021 for July and August RTÉ2 had 11% compared to average for that year of 6.6%.

Imagine Dee wanted to move sports over to RTÉ ONE.

Yes I sadly have records of viewing figures going back to 2015!

______

Yesterday

Ah sure while I am here and have your ear.

VMTV - It owned by a large corporation… they have some corporate responsibilities towards the community, perhaps they invest in their broadcast service.

VMTV from what I know … VMTV is split between … names maybe different

1. TV3 network ltd (VMTV ONE, and I suspect VMTV MORE and FOUR)
    2. Channel 6 Broadcastings (VMTV TWO)
    3. UTV Irleand Ltd (VMTV THREE)

Their turnover I work out at 80m (again generous) per year, both Channel 6 and UTV Ireland are profit making.

VMTV last year had 19.5% of the TV audience, ad revenue from TV came to 281.4m, 75% of TV channels sell air time in the Irish market meaning that VMTV has a potential total of €75m from ad revenue.

ITV programming costing 20m, 15m in staffing costs (being generous), 15m for Sporting rights (again being generous), may 5m on broadcast and player costs?

maybe your talking a 5m loss or a 20m profit!

Back of the envelop stuff, but you see my point.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭jj880

RTÉ and the government are a toxic codependency. Cant do without each other. I wouldn't give a shyite about such relationships usually except its us mugs footing the bill for this one. The benefits of a public service broadcaster aren't what they once were. It all rings a bit hollow when you see a sickening dose pilfering round them with no real sanction. And now calls to jail anyone who doesn't contribute! Deary me.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

^^^ or Toxic Symbiosis

The amount of drama on RTE is ridiculous. Yes Kin was good, but thats one limited run program.

Take a look at the originals on the RTE player: https://www.rte.ie/player/all-programmes/originals

There is not one program I would have any interest in watching.

On RTE 1 at the moment is Reeling in the Years - which admittedly is entertaining, but, it is a repeat. In fact at this point, its a repeat of a repeat of a repeat. Ironic, considering, it repeats stuff that happened in the past.

As RoTelly said, their budget for drama is a tiny percentage of their operating budget. I would ask, what are they spending it on, but we know. 350k for Joe Duffy. 250k for Ray, with that kind of money for 2 sub-par presenters, I'd imagine there are producers and researchers on that or more. Flip flops, dodgy deals with Renault, Marty Morisseys expense account.

oh yeah an RTÉ News are on their annual bus man’s holiday!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Well then thats even worse. What do they spend their drama budget on? It can't all be Fair City. Unless they are paying the actors Joe Duffy type salaries.

Best Irish drama of recent times, that is not Kin? Bad Sisters. Produced by? AppleTV.

Paul from FC brought RTÉ to the WRC and we found out he’s on between 100,000 and 120,000, for 31 week’s work

______

Yesterday

Listening to Pat Kenny this morning, it seems the top earners in RTE are now management. I recommend listening to the segment on the podcast, or catchup.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Considering I agree with everything you said in previous rants, I really don't mind 😂

Advertisement