Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE after Tubsgate.

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Shan Doras

Speaking of "EU competition rules", It amazes me that the TV licence collection contract doesn't have to be put out to tender under EU competition rules, indeed An post getting a 6 millon euro government handout to "update the database" stinks to high heaven but it's not like any mainstream journalist is going to challenge this, they'll all be hoping to get a government advisor or quango job after the next general election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Revenue already have the LPT database of every residential property in the country.

Edit: that doesn't mean Revenue have to be the ones collecting. But paying An Post €6m to reinvent the wheel seems silly

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They tendered out the drivers licence stuff to NDLS, arguably that went quite badly and they learnt from their mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭RoTelly

AFAIR the Drivers Licence was issued by the the Motor Tax office which was run by the local authority. This is slightly different where An Post are are Semi-State body and took over the licence fee after it broke from the Department of Posts and Telegraphs (Communications). In effect the gov have tendered out the collection of the TV licence to An Post, no government department or local authority collects this fee.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Are they planning to abandon the Radio centre and move all radio into the TV buildings ?

• Advertisement

Aren't we already at the stage that the TV licence is farcical system? Am I right in thinking that if someone has a sky streaming package and a very large monitor without a tuner they are exempt from the TV licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No because RTE is on Sky.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

From broadcasting act…

Definition of a TV (requiring a licence):

“television set means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus"

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0140.html

Definition of "broadcast":

“broadcast means the transmission, relaying or distribution by electronic communications network of communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals, intended for direct reception by the general public whether such communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals are actually received or not"

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0002.html

Post edited by Ten Pin on

Sky Stream TV and Digital Boxes come with a Digital turner build in, meaning that you have to have a licence, for both of these products, meaning that NOW (a sky product) is providing a streaming only service. (Perhaps you don't need a Sky Stream TV or Box for Sky Stream??).

How many large screen monitors are sold for this purpose in any case? I'd say almost 96% people have some type "apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting".

Also the funding of RTÉ is a complete distraction from the issue of mismanagement of the service over the last decade or more.

______

Yesterday

It is amazing to think that most of the increase to the RTÉ coffers will be used to cut jobs, refurbish to building that they never maintained and to move in-house programming out of RTÉ.

It astonishing how badly mismanaged the broadcaster was that all of this has fallen into the public domain following the fall out of the governance scandal.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

They should have just taken the fee by adding it to electricity bills. No avoidance that way, guaranteed income, hotels and bars pay more. Clean. Collecting the licence fee via the current method means leeches are still able to avoid paying it. Every home in this country should have to pay the fee. It’s not a discretionary thing.

Reformed character.

So you think all of these problems were purely down to the 15% of people that don't pay the TV licence?

Do you think that RTÉ are not leeches? They completely mismanaged the public service broadcaster over the years. Believing the own lies so they could avoid producing TV.

Can you name one programme outside of sport, news and current affairs where you can say that RTÉ did a good job.

This week RTÉ begins its Bus mans holiday, with reduction in news programming, this is the last month of exit out of montrose. Starting way back in May with the end of the Daytime show season, which won't return until October, while most current affairs programming have been off the air since the end of June, and now News programming gets cut in half.

I don't see Virgin Media TV/ TV3 doing this. The news will continue, while they are removing The Tonight show starting next and it will return in September.

That's not to mention that RTÉ failed to maintain their own buildings.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You do need a Sky Glass TV or Sky Stream box for Sky Stream, so that won’t get you around the license fee. As I understand the DTT tuner is switched off normally and only activates when the internet is down, as a sort of backup. It’s enough though.

However, the eir, Vodafone, and VM services don’t have a DTT tuner, and I think there’s an interesting question there as to whether they attract a license fee.

I had thought that way back as well. Though cable STBs would have a cable turner which would come under the act.

I think you'd still have a hard time finding more than 2% of the population without a TV set as defined by the act. As TV manufactures get rid of the turner to save costs then you will see this increase.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you define liability for 'a broadcasting charge' (for want of a name) as a premises that has an electricity supply from ESB Networks and a separate Eircode then, as there are 2 million or so Eircodes, that would give 2 million premises liable for the charge.

Now, if the charge was €10 per month of the lecky bill, that would mean households pay €120 per year, but the amount collected would be €240 million a year. So who would complain in a reduction of €40 per year in the TV licence?

Now, again, how much were the Gov committing to give RTE?

By the way, the ESB Networks cost to collect this would be close to zero as it requires little beyond a software adjustment.

They won't do this due the the PSO which the are adding.

They should have also told the electrical suppliers that the standing charge should be the minimum usage allowed per household, in other words the annual standing charge is €218 if you home only uses €200 you still are charged €18 extra on the other hand if your home goes above €218 they charge will be usage less the standing charge. (Yearly figures).

So its a no go on that bill.

I have always advocated adding it to Telecoms bills (Broadband, PayTV, OnDemand providers, Mobiles and so on) business would not be allow get claim this tax back.

But again the problem is the Executive/Leadership team, they have deliver a nothing new direction not much more than Strategy 2024.

And it all fails to take in to consideration the past mis-management of RTÉ. Indeed, by the looks of things, IMO the current and future/continue mismanagement of our national broadcaster.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Sky Stream is a box for streaming it does not have a TV tuner in it. So Sky Stream and a Monitor would exempt you from needing a TV License according to the statute in its current form.

To be honest RTE have dropped the ball, because aftre getting their 750M deal with the government, they havn't looked ahead. All the providers are moving to streaming services, so a couple years and I do mean just a couple, a lot of people in Ireland will have their streaming box and monitor and not legally need a TV license.

The statute that is quoted earlier in the thread refers to equipment capable of receiving the signal broadcast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is personal opinion that the ESB Networks could not charge a levy, and really does not stand up to scrutiny.

The Gov have added lots of levies to various bills that get additional charges for unrelated charges - insurance being the biggest offender.

The benefit of adding it to the lecky bill is that lecky is paid by the user of the service, and it is impossible to avoid without going off grid.

It is a relatively small charge and replaces a higher charge (if €10 per month) and is paid by everyone inc businesses. That surely is better than the current TV licence fee of €160 per year. Most people pay more than that for a mobile phone contract or a broadband contract.

If it were to raise €240 million then that equates to the proposed sum the Gov have agreed and should be popular with them, and with those who pay the current licence fee. It would also eliminate TV inspectors, and prosecutions for non-payment.

We have ways of dealing with those who cannot pay for lecky, but not good ways of dealing with those who fail to pay for TV. In fact, they never tried to enforce the TV licence fee.

At least it will be settled for a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I made the exact same point a few weeks ago.

By the way, want to know how the pay the TV License the Czechia? You guessed it! It goes on your lecky bill.

My electricity is about 120 a month. Would I feel or notice the extra 10 euro that covers the TV license? Grudgingly for the first couple of months but I'd get over it.

Do it that way and it eliminates avoidance. As you said, no more need for inspectors, or people taking up court time.

And, if they play the 30 second "You must have a TV License, its the law" clip on the radio and TV, 4 times a day, 365 days a year, they could eanr an additional 10 hours worth of advertising revenue ayear. No small sum I would imagine.

Quote [My electricity is about 120 a month. Would I feel or notice the extra 10 euro that covers the TV license? Grudgingly for the first couple of months but I'd get over it.]

You would notice the extra €10 each month, but you would also notice the larger €160 not coming up in one big lump each year. I know which charge I would prefer - €120 or €160?

People pay road tolls, and pay their lecky bill. They even pay their round in the pub,

So what is the problem?

• Advertisement

I'd argue it is more a political opinion, the ESB Network could not add another fee to an ever increasing essential services bill. The government would be in a situation were there would be 2 public service fees added to your Electricity bill on top of a standing charge (introduced when people started to try to save money on their bill). This is on top of the government trying to figure out a plan for the future of An Post. Many forget that An Post and the Post Offices are important to communities/politically, according to the government and politicians.

You don't need insurance. If I didn't have a car I would not be required to get any insurance. I don't have house insurance (though I should), I have health insurance with the company I work for and I regret getting it, I don't have life assurance and so on. So those fee only relate to 2 insurances that I have, and if I stopped driving and if I stopped my health insurance I would not be paying those fees.

If people don't want to have streaming services, broadband and mobile that is up to them but it is highly unlikely in the modern age that they will do without any. But if you do see a drop off in the use of, lets say, broadband as consumers move to 5G then the regulators ComReg and CnaM review how the fee is collected on those bills. (And would review that €270m figure, something that shouldn't be at the hands of government).

The problem saying it is only €10 a month (€120) is that it will just start to grow. As you point out most people are paying more for broadband etc than they pay for the licence so why not tax them on these non-essential service rather than on an essential one?

And unfortunately regardless of which bill you attach the "Telecommunications Culture Charge" to you still have the problem of RTÉ who seem to think, outside of governance and other issues, they've done a pretty good job. The mismanagement of RTÉ will not be rectified under RTÉ's management.

______

Yesterday

It wouldn't it would just be replace by RTÉ "Your Public Service Media". Those ads are not included in RTÉ ad minutes as they are taken out by RTÉ. An issue I have that RTÉ have an ad running on behalf of the licence fee collection agency (An Post) under the guise of promo "brought to by the Government of Ireland".

And then of course you have the issue of "The Toy Show the Musical" ads that RTÉ seem to consider "promos", yet I was told the "RTÉ Guide" paid for their ads as they are commercial !

______

Yesterday

The funding of RTE is one issue that is a political decision, and not really part of the future of RTE, except the size of the funding.

Aside from that, RTE is currently planning to slash and burn to get its costs to fit its budget. They should be trying to make their offering acceptable to the viewing public such that they actually watch and appreciate and are happy to pay for it.

Viewers like sport, and watch news reports. So why not a proper news channel, and a decent sports channel?

@Sam Russell RTÉ have had years to get the public on side, they’ve never once courted the public. They are not thinking about how to provide a service.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

There is no sign of RTE Slashing and Burning to cut costs. They gave out hundreds of tin whistles this week! To says nothing of the 130 quid boxed of macaroons. All the staff in Paris, even if just to 'play records'. This is just the very tip of the iceberg. The real cost is the number of staff. Did the government economists advise it was cheaper to bail them out from the Social Welfare budget, keeping everyone employed vs pay the extra dole money?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I think the slash and burn is occurring in areas were they should not slash and burn.

______

Yesterday

MOD You were explicitly warned not to go there and you did so anyway.

Post edited by Mickeroo on

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any sign of the hundreds of lay offs?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

48 hour ban RoTelly, you were warned (in another thread). Post also deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement