Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Agreed. Anyone talking about possession doesn't get how the Armagh and Galway systems work. They are counter-attacking teams. They draw bodies in, crowd them out, get a turnover and break up the field into space. The opposition are regularly going to have more possession in games. In fact, Id argue the fact that galway had more possession shows that they changed their style a bit and played into Armagh's hands. I see 9 pundits out of 9 picked galway to win in one paper - did this sort of thing have an effect on how they approached the game?

Galway's conservative approach stopped them from getting up the field at pace, which in turn was the reason why guys had to take on those longer shots under pressure that they subsequently missed. Short kickout after short kickout, when galway were bossing the skies on the armagh kickout underlines this further. This was the way to attack armagh from a galway perspective, but they shied away from it. I have heard a lot of galway fans lionising joyce post-match and blaming the players, but his decisions on the sideline created the situation on the field. The same fans lament finnerty going off, but they dont stop to consider who came on for him - heaney! Good player in his own right, but a goto inside forward he isnt. When you consider those hail-mary points that conroy kicked on top of their misses, it really underlines how galway were struggling to get normal scores. This was happening because they were too conservative, and that ethos came from the sideline. Armagh moved the ball more quickly and with more purpose when they attacked - that was really the only difference between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well there very obviously was a "best team" or there'd be no point in any competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Any team who gets into a defensive formation, with extra bodies playing zonally around their goals is setting up to crowd out and counter attack the opposition. That is how a counter attack works.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Finnerty going off so early for Galway was the losing of it. Had a real ripple effect on the use of the bench / freetaking etc.

It has to be said though, what a dreadful spectacle that was. Hopefully the new rule changes help because that sport is on life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Armagh had 15 players defending inside their 45 for the entire game. When people criticise Galway for being conservative there was very little space to attack into. You can't just kick ball into a blanket defence. The defence will come away with it 9 times out of 10. The only time there was space was when Galway turned them over and then you could see they tried to move the ball very quickly. Sometimes they got scores from this but on a couple other occasions they messed up their transition. Like when they got the ball up to Silke and he probably could have taken the score himself but he turned back to give it back to Walsh who blazed his shot wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Have to agree with a lot of this. I was up high in the corner behind the Davin end goal and in the first half it gave a great view of the Armagh defence.

It was impossible to see a yard of space in there they had everywhere clogged up with bodies.

I would be guilty of watching on tv or from a lower level and asking why we aren't letting the ball in to the FF line but it was an eye opener yesterday to see how tight it was.

I must also mention it was crazy how fast they all got back every time. Unbelievable fitness levels. They were cute too as you need to be at that level throwing balls out on to the pitch beside the goal to stop us getting a quick kickout away and give an extra chance to get back when they had more men pushed up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

But this is a basic thing. How on earth do teams not prepare for the scenario where player A, B or C is injured?

Surely there should have been a free taker on the bench ready to come on if Finnerty was injured or tired? In the whole of Galway, there's only one consistent free-taker? Bizarre. And it's not just Galway that has this problem. Typical GAA team preparation for games, ah shur we only have one free-taker and if he gets injured, we'll just wing it. Simple stuff that eludes the average inter county manager.

Mayo are as bad, no left footed free taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You couldn't better 1-11.

That's the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They did but context is everything, that will be forgotten in years to come though. Can you honestly see Armagh dominating? Everything fell right for them after Ulster this year. The chances of that happening again is remote.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Was there a reason Matthew Tierney was not put on frees from Finnerty's side? He took them in the league up until he got injured taking a free in the Tyrone game. He scored a great free from near the sideline in the league game against Roscommon and has a great kick off the ground.

• Advertisement

In Ulster -

Beat Fermanagh by 11

Beat Down by 1

Lost to Donegal on penalties

Group Stage -

Beat Westmeath by 5

Beat Derry by 11

Drew with Galway

QF - Beat Roscommon by 6

SF - Beat Kerry by 2 AET

F - beat Galway by 1

I suppose you can say that if Galway did not inexplicably throw away that drawn group game, which Galway dominated. - Armagh would not have topped the group stage and got that nice QF draw v Roscommon.

Who knows who Galway would have met after that as the permutations would be different? And Armagh would have faced a prelim QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭threeball

He should have taken them and once it was clear Walsh wasn't hitting his Conroy should have taken over. He was kicking well. But we've been one dimensional all season. We've never really changed the script at any stage and were found out when plan A failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

The home-coming in Tuam was streamed on the county council Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Galwaycounty

The lads look utterly devastated. I could hardly sleep last night so I can only imagine what it is like for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Mistakes on the field and on the sideline, Finnerty Imv should have been replaced with Tomo (pressure point scored against Dublin, he's a bit raw but...) , Joyce himself said if they're good enough they're old enough, then comer should have been moved out the field bringing his marker with him creating space inside, take the free kicking duties off Walshe fullstop, he performs better without this duty, we have Tierney, Conroy and Gleeson there... Thirdly I was waiting for the clenched fist at the crowd, the passion, the torn jersey all the match from our lads but it didn't come, a curious match.. Next I'd stick with Joyce but the backroom team needs shaking up, the balance isn't right Imv.. He had a man high in the stand, was his advice on what was happening below going into the lads on the sidelines earpieces disregarded ? Or not acted on quickly enough, Mc geeney was better organised on the sideline and on the field.. It was the grain of rice that tipped the scales in Armaghs direction in the end.... Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.. There's much learning for all and I'm sure they'll take the lessons on board, they're not far off.. last night was dark but the dawn is coming, we will do it yet 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻✊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Those 3 or 4 breaks after the Armagh goal where we had extra numbers on the counter and panicked were decisive. You have to be finishing those at the top level to be the best and we just didn't have the stones to convert. Armagh also did well to ensure McDaid, McHugh, Silke and Tierney were nullified almost entirely in the first 45 minutes. We weren't prepared, oddly enough, to provide the support runners needed to break down that blanket. It was really poor man management from PJ, Scan and Co, being brutally honest.

Conroy, Maher and D'Arcy died with their boots on out there. They absolutely emptied themselves and should hold their heads high.

Absolutely devastated to lose that and would genuinely feel that was my lowest coming out of Croker in my 30+ years. Plenty of deserved sniggering messages but at the end of the day we led to our own demise.

Congratulations to Armagh finally. They've been able to edge out results against us since 2022 and if fairness it takes a damn good team to overcome their penalty shootout woes. Their supporters bring fantastic life wherever they go and they deserve to celebrate that for months to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

The bitterness and begrudgery here is incredible. If you think Armagh winning only their second All Ireland ever will be forgotten in years to come you’re deluded. Every team in the knock out stage had the chance to win Sam and Armagh did it the hard way.

You don't seem to be be grasping my point.

The point is Armagh got an AI against the grain.

I am not saying that this Armagh win be forgotten. I am saying it will be forgotten HOW they did it. Big difference. And the context of how the games were won, will be forgotten in time. And how the opponents would have/and should have won those matches normally, I believe the opponents helped Armagh. Again, just an opinion.

You have to admit that Armagh got plenty of luck, in a good few matches. The Galway group game keeper error, how often does that happen?, Kerry keeper error how often does that happen?

Drawing Rosscomon in the QF when they could have much harder draws. Roscommon getting a man sent off early. Still only winning by a few points at the final whistle.

Galway kicking it away in the final? Has Walsh had a worse game? How often does that happen?

To be honest I think it is a "one off" for Armagh they will do well to be as lucky again. Logically I think Galway have a better chance of Sam than Armagh have in the coming years. Given the style of play etc. Just my opinion.

The 2002 Armagh side was a miles better side than this Armagh team (IMO) and they only won one. So IMO I would be shocked if this Armagh side won another one. They will dine out on this, and that will be that.

The fact you said Armagh did it "the hard way" proves my point. Why did they make it look so hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Really feld for cillian Mc daid yesterday. His tour de force v dublin was such a showing. I thought he'd be the difference yesterday. Not even from Galway and this one stings.

Agreed had a great match both v Dublin and Aramgh, but all the replays of the end of the Final in future will show him losing the ball. Bit unfair on him considering the season he has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

You're 100% right!

Havent heard anyone else say this, but the in the QF, SF and final, Armagh made star forward lines look like off-form Junior B's.

Just 7 days after the Rossie's forwards shot the lights out against Tyrone, Armagh made them look toothless in attack. The did the very same to Kerry and yesterday to Galway.

Thats certainly no coincidence.

They suffocate your attack and prompt the forwards to shoot from low % positions.

Just look at the positions Galway were shooting from yesterday. In reality they relied on Conroy and Maher's Hail Mary boomers from the 45 to keep them in it.

Galway's luck ran out yesterday too. They got the rub of the green against Sligo, to win the Connacht final, to hold out for the group game draw with Armagh and then Conroy's goal against Donegal.

Enough has been said about Walsh, but as a neutral, I felt bad for him. If the management hadn't the bottle to take him off, their leaders on the pitch should have made the call to take the dead ball kicks off him. Crazy stuff!

Armagh the better team - and after their heartbreak the last few years - hard earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You could apply the same logic to Galway’s championship run too.

Lucky to beat Sligo; needed heroics at the end to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Lucky to beat Mayo; very questionable free to win it at the death.

Lucky to beat Westmeath; gifted a goal near the end.

Lucky to beat Donegal; gifted as soft as goal as you’ll ever see.

Both teams had a bit of luck in their journey to the final. Unfortunately from a Galway perspective that luck ran out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bike2wkr

Hugely disappointing. Armagh did deserve it. They were brave and some of their scores were well taken. Credit to them. They kept believing and going

How did this cein Darcy not start ?he was brilliant. McDaid was quiet I thought for what he can do. Tierney non existent. Although well marked and probably not his position. I don't know how many times he passed the ball back out. I've visions of Ja Fallon kicking points from out there.

They need to find a couple of more forwards like finnerty. I thought the 6 backs, Conroy Maher, Darcy died with their boots on. Walsh tried all day, injury must be affecting his free taking.

I think the day of the inside forward is gone, even at club games these lads are scoring nothing bar frees. You might carry one but not 3. Probably far better off with additional midfielders/half backs that can go box to box and kick points fairly reliably.

The structured soccer type defence is almost impossible to play ball through by kicking it, you have to run it and it makes inside forwards redundant. Even if you do find one, they haven't the time to get turned and get a shot off before they're swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

I don't know about that. If shane Walsh was on his game with comer and finnerty fully fit, we would have won. Comer didn't look fit at all and shouldve been hauled off at half time, when was the last time you seen him bottled up the corner. I hope pj learns some hard lessons from this, if lads aren't 100% fit leave them off. Mcgeeney made sure that all his players were 100% fit and if under performing were hauled off

When was the last time I saw Comer bottled up in the corner? The Donegal game. He didn't score, didn't contribute much. Shane Walsh was outscored by Conroy, McHugh and Silke from play in the same game. Sunday was similar. Finnerty was getting 2pts per game but so we're the lads further back. Reality is, in todays game, these guys are far more important to your gameplan than the big named forwards and they have bigger engines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

I know that and agree with you but I still feel finishers are required inside that can loop around and move around a bit. I suppose I'm grasping at straws as I would hate for it to be the end of comer and Walsh, greats servants through lean years

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bike2wkr

Yeah agreed. Comer was nullified. They could do with coming up with some structured plays to get players into position to score. Lad who kick accurately from far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Easy to say away from the heat of the moment, but the ball should never have been passed to him anyway. Was taking the thrust of the attack away from the danger zone and McDaid would be taking the ball looping around onto his weaker left foot. Similar to the earlier chance when Silke elected to pass back the ball back out to Walsh instead of continuing through on goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Feel the criticism Comer getting on here is unfair as form being at the match Armagh closed off all the channels for balls into him as there was one if not 2 spare armagh players covering in front of him to block the out kickpass into him. Rian O neill sat in front of him all day when Galway had possession outside 45. The one time Conroy kicked an early pass to him he got it on sideline but was double teamed with nowhere to go. Armagh did the exact same to David Clifford in semi final so there's no shame in Comer not getting more out of them. I agree that Galway should have taken him out to wing forward to try and give him more space on the ball and see if could make things happen from there.

Armagh offered gleeson the short kickout and we fell for it.Our failure to go long on our kickouts played it into Armagh's hands as our transsition was slow and allowed them get their defensive setup. The few times they pushed up on us in first half we won the long ones and quick transition and great work form Maher got us a Darcy point. We only pushed up on them in last 10 mins and we won majority of kickouts/breaks and pinned them back. Whilst we thought our bench was much better than 2 years ago it was clear with 20 mins to go that we had no scoring threat to bring on. Lots of our shooters confidence was gone in the last 10 mins and Tomo was the only man from 11 subs that you would call an inside forward. We had plenty of cover and options for middle third but really lacked an option for a player who would have confidence or be comfortable take on a kick form 25 yards there in the home stretch. Cant fathom the thinking behind bringing on molloy a wing back for heaney at corner forward when you looking for scorers and that cost us when we had molloy mc grath and mc daid in that breakaway at the end that mc daid got turned over. O Curraion must have gone off the boil altogether this last 2 months as he would have surely been an option to kick scores and he can also kick frees aswell.

Advertisement