Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Last Supper" depiction at Olympics Opening Ceremony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,836 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That time Disney mocked the last supper:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKmw5KGAGgY7GP3RXLjXY_-MN_3_GjMqN&si=q0MC7dTBXmrZ8oil

(“It tells the story of the mythological creatures gathering for a festival to honor Bacchus, the god of wine riding his horned donkey, Jacchus; the bacchanal is disturbed by Zeus, who decides to have a little fun by throwing thunderbolts at the attendees.”)

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/The_Pastoral_Symphony

(I don’t think I’ve ever sat through Fantasia all the way through without napping off at least once anyone else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭engineerws

Cannot sleep and read about Thomas Jolly on vogue

His partner is a man so appears to be gay and no mention of him being Muslim. He's the artistic director. Why are people saying he should have had a go at the Muslims? I don't get that line of argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I think the line is he wouldn't dare, rather than he should. (or if he's going after one religion, all religions should be fair game)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 PixelCrafter

The whole thing is absolutely insane.

He didn't go after any religion, unless they're claiming to be offended on behalf of Ancient Greeks and the cult of Dionysus/Bacchus.

We are pandering to what amounts to paranoid religious conservatives who are offended because they imagine that something entirely unrelated was a representation of the Last Supper, which is absolutely was not.

Does this mean that we set the globe's censorship and moral standards based on a common denominator of not offending the most knuckle dragging conservative we can possibly find?

It was a piece of performance art about Greek legends, Gallo-Roman legends, Paris' fashion, art, culture, entrainment, its diversity as a major international city, its avant avant-garde history, the French Revolution, French music and all sorts of other things…

This is getting into paranoid fantasy territory very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭wandererz

It's been clarified by the organisers for what it really was.

This thread should be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Except that isn’t true. It’s a feeble attempt to rewrite what happened and pretend it wasn’t about Christianity. Like the kid who curses at a teacher under his breather and then pretends he didn’t when called out on it.

If you’re going to be edgy, own it.

(Not being a practising Christian that isn’t the aspect that bothers me most about this, but I still think we need to be honest about it.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

for the casual observer you need to detail "it's" exactly

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭wandererz

That may be her view after seeing the picture and associating it to the Last Supper.

That doesn't mean that was the intention of the director, choreographers and of the organising committee.

All of this would have been meticulously planned out over several years. There will be evidentiary material to prove so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its not a legal case so not relevant , a basic "reading the room" should be enough perception is reality and all that.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ColmDove

Organisers denying any link to the Last Supper are being disingenuous at best. The Last Supper is so ingrained in the cultural mind of the west, there had to be an understanding that this would be read by viewers as a reference, even if it the primary intention was meant to depict Dionysus at a feast.

The image of the last supper has been referenced scores of time and (to my memory) has never caused so much controversy. The Simpsons did it, The Sopranos did it, Battlestar Galactica did it … even Parks and Recreation had an episode where a character tried to replace Jesus and the apostles with celebrities from Indiana (Greg Kinnear as Jesus).

The controversy around it is just culture wars nonsense exacerbated by media desperate for content. Anyone actually insulted/offended by this is a snowflake and everyone else complaining has a specific agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭volchitsa

She didn’t “see” the picture since she was the central figure in it, so I’d expect she knew very well what the directors and choreographers intended. It would be most unusual to leave your main characters in the dark as to what they were supposed to be representing.

And by “evidentiary material” presumably the official handouts given to the press in advance of the ceremony explicitly mentioning the Last Supper would do?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

(Not being a practising Christian that isn’t the aspect that bothers me most about this, but I still think we need to be honest about it.)

Have to ask, do you reckon then that there was actually any intent to “mock Christianity”, or are people who claim to be offended, offended because it was drag? Like I know for you it’s the drag and at least you’re honest about it, but for me I didn’t even know ‘twas a meme in popular culture to pose like the Last Supper. A reproduction of the painting hung in my living room throughout my childhood and not once did it occur to me that it was, as some people are claiming “sacred among Christians”.

It had no more significance than being Leonardo DaVinci’s depiction of the Last Supper - famous because of all the meanings that people have drawn from it, like all the hidden clues and meanings, like claiming Mary Magdalene is one of the apostles, which wouldn’t have been out of place if that’s what the artistic director intended I guess 😂

I didn’t catch it because it was a fleeting moment, and for it to occur to anyone that the woman was meant to represent Jesus is a stretch, unless it had been explicitly explained already, cos according to the Gospels (three of them anyway) Jesus didn’t turn up until the room had been prepared, yet the woman was there before any of the ‘apostles’ arrived 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭brickster69

I think the event is due to take place on Wednesday so no idea what happens now.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So now it’s going to be all about satan, always something for these types to get upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭crybaby

I think it's important to approach sensitive topics with respect for all religious and cultural beliefs. While artistic expressions can sometimes challenge conventions, they should ideally be balanced with consideration for the sensitivities of different communities…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

At the end of the day it's open to interpretation and that was intentional on their part, they threw up the Greek ceremony link as an excuse but the Christian element was most certainly hinted at…what it is with certain people defending the idea ad infinitum like it's something personal to them, strange fellow behaviour

i hope they never watch Love Hate

Because it's been parodied before on various tv and movie is not a valid excuse to do the same on a live ceremony event in front of a billion viewers ……if we can see that's a parody of the last supper then why the hell are some in denial on this

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t call it a parody, more like a homage or piggy backing of it. It’s an iconic image from a very famous artist which I doubt anyone wants to mock, and it lends itself well to using it a group setting.

The Last Supper is a painting. Maybe it's a parody of the bible story?

unless you think it's a photo of the actual supper.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Does this not show that it was more of the directors interpretation of 'Feast of Dionysus'?

I know your MO is to reply to everything with a question….it's really not worth dancing with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

No no please don’t close, it’s teaching ignorant easily offended snowflakes European history and culture

It’s also hilarious

My MO😂

It was a rhetorical question......unless you do think it's a photo of the actual last supper🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

They also had the Mona Lisa floating in the Seine, where is the outrage?!

Not if you want want to make every single thing that happens in the world about your opinion, to play the perpetual victim and to engage in whataboutery. Some of the reactions go to 11 on the Maud Flandersometer.

“It made me so sad and someone said, ‘You shouldn’t be sad. You should be mad about it,’” the Full House alum added. “I’m like, ‘Trust me, it makes me mad, but I’m more sad because I’m sad for souls.’ I pray for my heart to break over what breaks God’s heart and I just think about all the people that have rejected the gospel of Jesus Christ or don’t know the gospel of Jesus Christ. In the Bible, in Galatians, it says, ‘God is not mocked for whatever a person sows he will also reap because the one who sows … will reap destruction from the flesh.’

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/candace-cameron-bure-thinks-olympics-114847537.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hahahahahaha
    A "version" of the last supper was depicted at the Olympics - so what?

• Advertisement

Welcome to the 21st century, what a time to be alive!

Advertisement