Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Doom is interesting as I dont see him being defeated/killed in the general MCU baddie finale battle.

Doom should be more like Magneto - a recurring constant presence as an antagonist/sometime ally throughout killing Doom would be radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

<jk>DC should release the 2007 Superman:Doomsday for a limited cinema release a week or two before Avengers:Doomsday . Confusion and cash…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Variety reports that the Russo Brothers are getting paid $80 million (!!) for their directorial duties and Downey Jr getting paid ‘significantly’ more than that (!!!).

A truly staggering amount of money - if accurate, that’s a budget of ~$200 million (or 100 million per film) before filming has started, and doesn’t account for all the other cast members surely in line for generous paydays. Preposterous, obscene stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't really have an issue with the RDJ casting - imo it doens't take away from Iron Man. Its a different character. Same way Wolverine doesn't take away from Logan, for me.

But i'm curious as to WHY they have cast him. Like i get the hype bump, but whats the story reason? Gonna be really interesting to find out. I don't think he'll be 'our' tony - but regardless of the initial press saying he is playing Victor, it makes no sense to cast RDJ unless there is a stroy reason he is a Tony Stark (or Stark was a Doom…). Everyone will expect the Avengers to recognise him and react to him as if he is Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I live 10 minutes walk from a Cineworld so if that doesn't change, I'll be seeing this.

I don't really care what Marvel do but it's clear that they peaked with Infinity War and Endgame. All recasting RDJ does is confirm this. How well he does, and he will do well I think, doesn't matter.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Does it surprise you though? The moment I read about both Russos + RDJ returning I practically heard the "cha-ching" cash register noise coming from across the Atlantic. And as the articles notes those figures also don't include the compensation relating to performance either - hacks that they are the Russos are probably set for life.

Still a huge gamble and does depend on Marvel successfully ramping up hype for this film. They can't just drop it onto audiences and expect them to take an interest if there were 5 or 6 flops or forgettable flicks before hand. Say what you will about the MCU the escalation towards the first Avengers & then Infinity War was executed well; but off the back of characters people wanted to watch.

I suppose the simplest speculation is it's a Multiverse thing & either it'll be played as pure cosmic coincidence or else Tony Stark from another universe became a tyrant and gave himself or was given the moniker of Dr. Doom.

It also begs the question if this Dr. Doom will be yet another Mad Scientist, or the Leader-for-Life of a fictional European country. Funny how previous adaptations never had the nerve to just make him a dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Most logical theory I read would be that in this other universe, Tony's parents were killed by Hydra much earlier when Tony was just a baby, and he was adopted and raised as Victor Von Doom instead (maybe Hydra took him in and maybe the Von Doom family had ties to Hydra or something).

Tony would ultimately still be a genius, but if that genius was shaped by the Von Doom family or Hydra rather than the Starks, maybe his idea of "I want to put a suit of armour around the world" would be something he'd approach in a much more different way. After all, RDJ said "New Mask, Same Task."

It's why I have no real qualms about RDJ coming back. Even though he'll get a f*cktonne of money, I do believe he's also coming back because there's something interesting there that he wants to explore in this version of the character and the story. Like I said previously, if it was just money and panic, they'd try bring him back as Tony Stark or a very similar multiverse variant and could still cast any number of great actors to play Doctor Doom. It looks like they're willing to do something a bit more interesting and risky this way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not surprising as such, but extraordinary (and rather depressing) to see those kind of numbers being tossed around for pre-backend salaries.

I don’t think Endgame is a particularly good film for a plethora of reasons, but if nothing else it did pretty conclusively deliver on many years of build up and serialised storytelling. In that sense, it’s not hard at all to see why it was such a hit. The thing is though, it was also an ending, and it’s very hard to gain momentum again when something ends as definitively as Endgame did. ‘Here we go… again’ has had unsurprisingly diminishing returns. Even some of the hits like Spider-Man and GOTG3 have had the feel of epilogues or goodbyes.

I have no doubt there’ll continue to be MCU hits like Spider-Man and Deadpool. Maybe Fantastic Four or whatever X-Men project is coming. What there isn’t is any kind of consistent momentum, and it all seems scattered and confused. Certainly they’re well past the point of every film being a guaranteed hit. It’ll be interesting to see how things payoff with a big team up film given the general apathy towards the likely team involved. RDJ is obviously the big ‘hey, you liked what we did before!’ gamble that may or may not pay off, but no question the momentum that was there in the previous iteration of the MCU just isn’t there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So movie wise, as it stands, before Doomsday we just have Captain America, Thunderbolts and Fantastic 4. And maybe Blade. With none between Doomsday and Secret Wars.

What would Avengers lineup even look like for Doomsday? Cap, Spidey, Ironheart, Shuri, a Marvel or 2, Thor? Bucky and Widow are Thunderbolts. Maybe Vision if he's back.

• Advertisement

Cap.America, Dr.Strange, Hulk, Cap.Marvel, Spidey, Thor, Shuri & Shang-Chi I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wanda's not dead if they wanted to bring in a powerhouse but not much time to actually reintroduce her. Kate Bishop would be alogical new Hawkeye if they want one. Namor if his seas are threatened could be a handy source of reinforcement army.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hawkeye (assuming it's Kate Bishop) and Ms Marvel might get a look in as well. Although we're not all that enthusiastic about it, we were promised The Eternals would return and we've yet to see if they'll go any further with Moonknight.

I'd say Kate Bishop's Hawkeye and Ms.Marvel (with others) will be a Young Avengers team rather than moving to the main roster. They'll probably be included in Secret Wars as I assume that'll just feature pretty much everyone like Endgame, but I doubt they'll be on the main Avengers team.

The Eternals should just be mostly killed off-camera, along with Harry Styles. Maybe Secret Wars starts with them being killed to show how big a threat the big bad of Secret Wars is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

By the time they get to a Young Avengers movie they will all be to old to play Young Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Who will the big bad of secret wars be?

I think in the comics story it's a new character called The Beyonder. Initial word was when they announced Avengers: Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars, The Beyonder would be the most powerful variant of Kang. So it's unclear what way they're going to go now that Kang's out.

I assumed when Disney+ started that they would introduce these young characters in the shows, and then have a Young Avengers event on Disney+.

Instead, we've got nothing.

Feels like they went into post End Game world without a real plan, and just hoping one or two characters stuck the landing. I think they have missed a chance with Pugh and Steinfeld tbh. Maybe Thunderbolts does something… but I doubt it.

It’s already been confirmed The Fantastic Four will be in the films, so they’re the safest bets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

One interesting thing is that the comics are having Doom become the New Sorcerer Supreme later this year following the current Blood Hunt event. Doom also took over as Iron Man for a brief period a few years ago when Tony Stark was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

when I see these massive budgets, it turns me off, let’s say RDJ + Russos pocket a combined 250+ million, what’s the total cost gonna be?

Kinda sickening when you see that total figure. and what will the movies have to make to turn a “Profit”. It’s seems reckless, especially when you see the cost of something like Godzilla: Minus One.

A budget like this makes me not want to root for this film, and spiralling budgets like this make me wish the whole industry collapses in on itself.

While the massive Hollywood budgets are rarely defensible, it’d at least be something if that money ended up on screen. But the Marvel films tend to look bland at best, and utter shite at worst. Given the way Marvel have taken advantage of CG studios in the past, you’d wish more of the ‘talent’ budget went towards the wider labour force making these things under absurd deadlines or even just giving the production schedule more breathing room. Given there’s likely to be several if not quite a few other big name stars involved in these two films (not too mention other MCU regulars who’ll - fairly - get a good chunk of stage), it’s not outside the realm of possibility that they’ll be spending the equivalent total budget of the first Avengers film just to get the actors and directors on set in the first place.

Putting aside the miracles pulled off by actual low budget productions, at least films like Avatar or Mission: Impossible have their staggering mega-budgets on screen after extended production cycles (some generous paydays included, of course). That’s not something I’d say for most MCU films, beyond the actors themselves being expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And you know that as high as the budget will be, the actual FX will look like total rubbish - unless they course correct the patently shoddy practises between now and Avengers Doomsday

Was it the Quantumania post credits scene that had Kate recruit Cassie?

I seem to remember the Eternals were killed at the beginning of one of the more recent comic events.

The captain America movie deals with the giant freaking alien thing in the water.... Surely an eternal shows up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I think you mean Kamala recruiting Kate at the end of The Marvels. Quantumania post credit was related to Kang Variant and Loki.

Are you thinking of Axe Judgement Day event as I think that's the last I've seen them being mentioned but I don't think they were killed off

Ah you're right about Kamala.

As for The Eternals, seems I was wrong again. Not too recent. Was in The Avengers comic back in 2018. So they've come back since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

All the GA will see in the marketing is Tony Stark. I'll stop short of saying this is a studio enforced decision as I'm sure The Russos pitched that this is how they want to use RDJ, but there's nothing really to figure out; they're maximising what's been proven to be their biggest box office draw.

Cynical and disappointing to see this is what they've whittled Doom down to, but it's easy to understand. Cillian Murphy for example would have been excellent as Doom, but he doesn't come with the same built in guarantee of returns for the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has RDJ made the most money for Marvel, I suppose with the Iron Man films and also Avengers, what is his total box office?

Advertisement