Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thinking the whole world loves us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

Not to bash GAA but it drives me mad to see players not waiting until the end of the National Anthem before they start moving around. I haven't seen it in any other sport and often wonder why it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Highlighter75

The zombie language. Let it die ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

drink till you puke…and if you dont drink till you puke your labeled a dry old shite…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭L Grey

The absolute cowardly, simpering and panicked refusal to actually back ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

I don’t like the submissiveness and infantile nature of Irish people with a strong subservience to the State. Call it a hangover from the Catholic Church or the English conquering the Irish but it really holds the country back and results in so many of the problems experienced by people in the country; putting up with high taxes and atrocious public services and infrastructure; enduring inept and wasteful politicians and civil servants; being afraid of confrontation and needing to please everyone and go out of one’s way to show how sound the Irish are whether it is to the stranger on the street or on the international stage (confrontation is okay); abandoning culture and adopting the grotesque consumerism of the United States (Irish people don’t even celebrate their national day properly as so many people dismiss it and just treat it like any other bank holiday). All the while going to the pub and drinking to a mental state which enables Irish people to tolerate the underachieving and unimpressive life they have here, captured in a statement of “it’s grand”. It is unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Uncomfortable truth. If enough people were motivated to speak it, it would be a lingua franca, but there aren't and it isn't.

You can't force people to do something they don't want to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't want to force anyone to do anything. It just baffles me that there are quite a few European countries where many people are fluent in both their native tongue and English but no Irish government has shown a flicker of interest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am not infantile or submissive. And it is not a part of Irish culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Of course it's connected to Ireland, and Irish drinking culture in particular.

"Ól é…Ól é…Ól é…Ól é…Ól é!!!" meaning "Drink it…Drink it…Drink it…Drink it…!!!".

Gaeilgeoirí, eh? 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The obsession with money which seems to have infected many Irish people.

The government/official Ireland has been trying to force/cajole people to speak it for a century now. Millions must have been spent on it.

It's up to people themselves. All the tools are there to learn it, but they have no interest.

If people want to get into anything else, an activity, a sport or play an instrument, they are motivated enough to devote time and money to practices and matches, equipment, classes etc. They don't sit around for the magic government fairy to make it come true. You are blaming government for the "failings" of people.

Typical Irish response "I'd love to learn it but * insert list of excuses*"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I've noticed that lately cos I'm off the gargle as I can't drink on my painkillers - even the smell of stale lager as I pass my local annoys me…!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I think those days are numbered. For medical reasons I can have a couple of pints and then have to go on the 00. Nobody calls me a dry shite. If they did I'd find new friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They've been shovelling money to incompetent but well-connected idiots for generations. No incentive to do the job if nobody demands results.

But yes, you are correct. There are more tools and options available than ever for anyone wanting to learn the language but they're more concerned about making the next generation jump through the same hoops than do anything meaningful about it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Good for you but I am generalising. Too many Irish people looking for politicians to sort out the country and take charge of their lives for them. So many Irish people in their 20s living at home with mammy and daddy like big babies despite working full time jobs; a lot of colloquialism in attitudes and a bit of a herd-thinking bubble in the country.

“The shower in government are a bunch of idiots.” and at the same time “The government have brought this in so we have to go along with it.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

1. our ability to litter. Can't understand how that is in our DNA (not all of us, but still a fairly large number).
    2. our desire to have an 'enquiry' if anything goes wrong. In the last few decades we've had multiple enquiries, generated ten of thousands of pages of reports, thousands of 'recommendations', yet nothing changes or nobody is held accountable. As Ray Bourke (I think!) christened them as 'a Barrister Fattening Exercise'. Plenty of portly barristers around!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

Thinking we’re special and it can’t happen here. Getting rode in every hole and not doing anything about it. Shure be grand.

• Advertisement

The problem with lots of things here, like the water system, instead of reforming it we shortsightedly abolish it and create an even worse monster.

Rates were abolished (which was obviously popular) but a race to the bottom was created, private operators with different lorries belching fumes around the same areas. Result people still pay, the operators cartel charge what they like and fly tipping and dumping goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Parochialism

GAA obsession. People putting before everything else. People have left weddings etc to go train or play a match. FFS.

The Leaving Cert. The same exam for 60 years and they still try to claim it’s fair. It’s not. It only exists in its current form because the teaching unions won’t let it change in order to protect their income.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Or worse still, when watching international rugby on tv and everyone goes silent in the pub when a player lines up to take a conversion kick….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Court cases where a gobshite being convicted of assault/ robbery/ fraud/ drunk driving gets outstanding character references such as "he's a pillar of the community" or "he does untold work with the local GAA club" or "he comes from a well respected GAA family"…….fcuk right off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

This is not confined to those with connections with the Gaah, and extends to Soccer and Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭tastyt

Jarlath Burns speeches after the All Ireland finals , almost lecturing the country on how to be GAA is to be the real Irish people and you’re not a true Gael if you’re not involved

Thinks he’s the president of the country and not of a sports organisation.

Post edited by tastyt on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The options to learn Irish are easily accessible and easier now than every with new teaching methods

The population at large don’t want to bother

In the kids gaelscoil you have people from overseas learning Irish

In the primary school you have Irish parents complaining because then kids are learning Irish

No government or anyone can change that attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

which doesn’t happen in reality and was made up by comics as a joke and people have run with it

Similar to PP making a very good rugby fans video which is now taken as reality and rugby fans use those phrases

The power of TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Country 'n Irish. It's sad to see such shite so popular especially in the context of our great musical output over the years.

Advertisement