Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Who suggested police officers should take a beating? You quoted me saying they're trained to fight/defend themselves and restrain people and they're given weapons and trained how and when to use them.

There very much is a pre-approved list of actions that are permitted according to the circumstances. It's called escalation of force* and it's backed up by law.

And in exchange for giving them weapons and training and powers beyond a normal civilian, they're also given responsibility to control their emotions and stick to the laws even when u der attack. That's the job and it's a difficult job.

*I was surprised to hear yesterday that tasers are below truncheons in the escalation of force in lots of circumstances because unless the person has a particular heart condition, they cause less harm to incapacitated a person than a truncheon

Yes. How Much would you say you know about police training?

How To behave, controlling emotions and not kicking restrained suspects in the head is absolutely part of the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You control your temper so as not to let such an event happen and part of the training is in doing exactly that so as to NOT escalate situations.

No situation ever got improved by a police officer losing his temper and kicking the **** out of people because of emotions.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

My controversial opinion is that the longer video didn't change the opinion I formed after watching the brief clip of the head-kicking / stomping. The two boyos were behaving like thugs, but they had both been subdued by the time the cop engaged in gratuitous violence. I'm pretty sure the guy lying face down had been tazered - in which case getting him handcuffed should presumably have taken precedence over kicking him in the head. The other cops present seemed to be able to control themselves, despite considerable provocation.

This cop is in trouble, but the likely outcome unfortunately is that cops will now be afraid to use force even when it's warranted, in case they too get in trouble (I think @El_Duderino 09 was making this point above).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭L Grey

I think Ireland should put its own people first in all things.

I think Ireland should look.after all people living in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I would have crawled over broken glass to get to joanne cantwell yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nothing whatsoever. However if you are telling me they are being trained to control their temper rather than just being instructed to hold thier temper I would be very skepital that that's even possilbe.

If it was you could teach it in school and then peole would't go around bashing up police officers or anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Suckler

There's a point at which you should stop digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No. I think what is expected of police officers is extreme. I think if he's fired they'll be an uproar about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Suckler

Keep digging so. It's entertaining if nothing else to see the ridiculous hill you're willing to die on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t imagine there’s going to be any uproar at all about it being honest. Like even the scummiest of scum know that using a man’s head for a football? Nah, there’s just some shìt you don’t do.

While he’s being held down, taking the opportunity to use his head for a football? That’s not an attempt to subdue the individual, it’s an attempt to exact revenge for a bruised ego. I don’t know if he’ll be fired, but it’s not the least bit controversial to expect that the police are held to a higher standard than the general public.

Far as the thread goes, I think you’re on a winner though 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My controversial opinion is that there is a small group of really sad people with very little going on in their lives who like to go in and argue every little point to death on boards. They're relentless and don't stop until the thread gets closed then they move on to the next popular thread until they destroy it. These same people think Boards is trying to silence them, but it's not that. It's just that like IRL no one likes them and would just prefer them to go away.

There absolutely won't be. Everyone, particularly police officers know that he will most likely lose his job. He knows it too

Right, you haven't got a clue.

Yes, we should expect a higher standard of behaviour from a trained professional police officer than a thug. Do you think police work is easy?

What's your distinction between holding and controlling temper? I didn't follow that

Do you think police work is easy?

Ye are the ones that seem to think it's easy not I, since ye are the ones saying that the police officer should calmly follow the rules of engagement even when being attacked themselves. I'm saying that is unrealistic because there is no way to train officers to behave calmly no matter what the situation particularly when they are the one's under attack which was the case here.

While he’s being held down, taking the opportunity to use his head for a
    football? That’s not an attempt to subdue the individual, it’s an
    attempt to exact revenge for a bruised ego.

I just watched back the full footage, the suspended officer was physically attacked by 2 people, the second assailant had been on the floor for 2 seconds before the officer kicked him. All played out in 30 seconds. I don't think he had time to consult his ego, I think his physical bruises and his life would have been of more immediate concern to him than his ego.

I first saw this story break on CNN, then on RTE and thought why are those foreign channels reporting on this minor domestic incident in the UK. Oh of course because they were hoping it would be a George Floyd type thing, police attacking a minority group. I noticed CNN didn't follow up on the story when the full footage emerged.
    This is basically just the same as your 'using his head as a football' (as if for the fun of it) angle. Not impressed, thinking the worst of the police officer and doubly so because the individuals involved were Muslim. Ick.

Absolutely nothing to do with anyone being Muslim, nothing do to with George Floyd.

Those 2 seconds on the floor? Means there is No risk anymore from the assailant. The police officer was completely wrong. He is trained not to do what he did. He will lose his job. And there will be no uproar.

Police work is not easy, and the people that do it are highly trained. And they know they cannot behave like this officer did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'm the son of a former member of AGS. I grew up listening to my mother answer phone calls in the middle of the night from time to time but I knew that meant my father was at least alive.

Broken arms, ribs etc sustained on duty through a variety of ways. Unless your in that position then I don't think you can judge any cop for lashing out. They are human at the end of the day and look at the injuries the female officer sustained.

Its easy to point to "they are trained" but self preservation as a human will always come fo the fore. Easy to throw shade from the sidelines. Very different when you fear for your life.

Our population now is 25% higher compared to 2000. Have essential services kept pace with the mad govt policies around immigration etc? No

Gardai levels, prison places sure as hell havent and we are dominated by lefty ideals, clowns such as PB4P constantly blame govt for individuals of the public unable to behave in a civilised manner and this has fed into a culture of no fear of consequences.

The N7 incident a few years ago would not have happened if the courts and justice system was in any way effective and now a member of AGS is facing charges/trial for doing his job. But all we ever see now is X has 100 previous convictions and is still walking free.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's easy to control their behaviour when emotions are high. It's famously difficult. But that's the job. He's on camera committing an assault, similar to the people he's arresting who were all happy to call 'thugs'.

If it wasn't on camera then they could muddy the water and make it a he-said, she-said. But it's clear what happened. Now the lads who got arrested will be charged with their crimes and the arresting officer will be charged with his crimes.

Ask your dad what would happen if he was on camera kicking and stomping a prisoners head, while they were subdued on the floor.

Every police officer knows what would happen.

This is basically just the same as your 'using his head as a football' (as if for the fun of it) angle. Not impressed, thinking the worst of the police officer and doubly so because the individuals involved were Muslim. Ick.

Wasn’t gonna say anything else but then seeing this? I couldn’t care less about CNN or anything else, it didn’t cross my mind to think Muslim (my sisters Muslim, white as driven snow ffs 😂). No, I was thinking of Kyle Hayes actions:

Asked by prosecuting counsel John O’Sullivan BL if he was in any doubt that Mr Hayes was kicking the man, Gda O’Riordan replied: “Absolutely no doubt it.”

“I observed him draw back and kick a man who was lying on the ground, kicking forward into the man’s head and shoulder area twice.”

Gda O’Riordan said he saw Mr Hayes “break away” from Det Landers before running from the scene.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-tell-court-they-saw-kyle-hayes-kick-man-lying-on-ground-after-nightclub-brawl-1558061.html

I’ve been in plenty of fights, never once did it occur to me to kick a man in the head, don’t care whatsoever about the colour of his skin or his religion or anything else. The officer could’ve tasered the shyte of of him and I wouldn’t care. It was the kicking a man into the head. That’s not a spur of the moment situation, it takes a thought process, generally from when I’ve seen it done - motivated by a bruised ego, and having plenty of time to think not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The Galway races are crap , went once, never again

Never understood the attraction to these horse racing events for people who aren't big into horse racing. Sounds like a horrible day out to me. The ostentatious aspect to it is gross. Remember when people used to queue to to be flown in by helicopter during the Tiger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I do not like wordle games and all their flippin' mcflurdle spin-offs.

There, I said it.

That IS the attraction though - the ostentatious aspect of it. There’s lots of charity events too goes on at the meetings, rubbing shoulders and hob-nobbing, all that craic. Wouldn’t be my cup of tea either, but if calling the Galway Races crap is the most controversial opinion anyone has about horse racing, I’d say that’s a win 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Did you ever see Vincent Price's "House of Wax" ? I can't even go past the one on Westmoreland Street on the LUAS without shuddering!

I've no opinion at all on horse racing. I'm not into it but other people enjoy it so fair play.

People have invited me to Galway races and some other race events but it doesn't appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Thanks. I can't believe there is actually a thread dedicated to this - "did you get the word today?" "It was a hard word today" "It took me three goes". F**k me.

Advertisement